* syscall statx not implemented on powerpc
@ 2017-03-13  3:33 Chris Packham
From: Chris Packham @ 2017-03-13  3:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linuxppc-dev; +Cc: Paul Mackerras, Michael Ellerman, Benjamin Herrenschmidt

Hi,=0A=
=0A=
I've just attempted to build a powerpc kernel from 4.11-rc2 using a =0A=
custom defconfig (available on request) and I'm hitting the following =0A=
error in the early stages of compilation.=0A=
=0A=
<stdin>:1325:2: error: #warning syscall statx not implemented [-Werror=3Dcp=
p]=0A=
=0A=
Same thing seems to happen with mpc85xx_basic_defconfig.=0A=
=0A=
I don't actually need this syscall so I'd be happy to turn something off =
=0A=
to get things building. I did a quick search and couldn't see anything =0A=
on linuxppc-dev but google keeps correcting "statx" to "stats" so I =0A=
could have missed it.=0A=
=0A=

* Re: syscall statx not implemented on powerpc
@ 2017-03-13  8:51 ` Chandan Rajendra
From: Chandan Rajendra @ 2017-03-13  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linuxppc-dev; +Cc: Chris Packham, Paul Mackerras

On Monday, March 13, 2017 03:33:07 AM Chris Packham wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've just attempted to build a powerpc kernel from 4.11-rc2 using a
> custom defconfig (available on request) and I'm hitting the following
> error in the early stages of compilation.
>
> <stdin>:1325:2: error: #warning syscall statx not implemented [-Werror=cpp]
>
> Same thing seems to happen with mpc85xx_basic_defconfig.
>
> I don't actually need this syscall so I'd be happy to turn something off
> to get things building. I did a quick search and couldn't see anything
> on linuxppc-dev but google keeps correcting "statx" to "stats" so I
> could have missed it.

The upstream commit
(https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=a528d35e8bfcc521d7cb70aaf03e1bd296c8493f)
that introduces the statx syscall provides a test program. I will wire-up the
syscall on ppc64, run that test program and post the patch if the test program
works well.

--
chandan

* Re: syscall statx not implemented on powerpc
@ 2017-03-13 20:01   ` Chris Packham
From: Chris Packham @ 2017-03-13 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chandan Rajendra, linuxppc-dev; +Cc: Paul Mackerras

On 13/03/17 21:52, Chandan Rajendra wrote:=0A=
> On Monday, March 13, 2017 03:33:07 AM Chris Packham wrote:=0A=
>> Hi,=0A=
>>=0A=
>> I've just attempted to build a powerpc kernel from 4.11-rc2 using a=0A=
>> custom defconfig (available on request) and I'm hitting the following=0A=
>> error in the early stages of compilation.=0A=
>>=0A=
>> <stdin>:1325:2: error: #warning syscall statx not implemented [-Werror=
=3Dcpp]=0A=
>>=0A=
>> Same thing seems to happen with mpc85xx_basic_defconfig.=0A=
>>=0A=
>> I don't actually need this syscall so I'd be happy to turn something off=
=0A=
>> to get things building. I did a quick search and couldn't see anything=
=0A=
>> on linuxppc-dev but google keeps correcting "statx" to "stats" so I=0A=
>> could have missed it.=0A=
>>=0A=
>=0A=
> The upstream commit=0A=
> (https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commi=
t/?id=3Da528d35e8bfcc521d7cb70aaf03e1bd296c8493f)=0A=
> that introduces the statx syscall provides a test program. I will wire-up=
 the=0A=
> syscall on ppc64, run that test program and post the patch if the test pr=
ogram=0A=
> works well.=0A=
>=0A=
=0A=
Thanks, I'd be happy to test a patch here.=0A=
=0A=
In the meantime I worked around the build issue by adding __INGORE_statx =
=0A=
to checksyscalls.sh.=0A=

@ 2017-03-14 11:57     ` Michael Ellerman
From: Michael Ellerman @ 2017-03-14 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Packham, Chandan Rajendra, linuxppc-dev; +Cc: Paul Mackerras

Chris Packham <Chris.Packham@alliedtelesis.co.nz> writes:

> On 13/03/17 21:52, Chandan Rajendra wrote:
>> On Monday, March 13, 2017 03:33:07 AM Chris Packham wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've just attempted to build a powerpc kernel from 4.11-rc2 using a
>>> custom defconfig (available on request) and I'm hitting the following
>>> error in the early stages of compilation.
>>>
>>> <stdin>:1325:2: error: #warning syscall statx not implemented [-Werror=cpp]
>>>
>>> Same thing seems to happen with mpc85xx_basic_defconfig.
>>>
>>> I don't actually need this syscall so I'd be happy to turn something off
>>> to get things building. I did a quick search and couldn't see anything
>>> on linuxppc-dev but google keeps correcting "statx" to "stats" so I
>>> could have missed it.
>>>

>> The upstream commit
>> (https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=a528d35e8bfcc521d7cb70aaf03e1bd296c8493f)
>> that introduces the statx syscall provides a test program. I will wire-up the
>> syscall on ppc64, run that test program and post the patch if the test program
>> works well.
>>

> Thanks, I'd be happy to test a patch here.
>
> In the meantime I worked around the build issue by adding __INGORE_statx
> to checksyscalls.sh.

Is it actually breaking the build? It's meant to be a warning, and
that's all I get.

cheers

* Re: syscall statx not implemented on powerpc
@ 2017-03-14 19:31       ` Chris Packham
From: Chris Packham @ 2017-03-14 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Ellerman, Chandan Rajendra, linuxppc-dev; +Cc: Paul Mackerras

On 15/03/17 00:57, Michael Ellerman wrote:=0A=
> Chris Packham <Chris.Packham@alliedtelesis.co.nz> writes:=0A=
>=0A=
>> On 13/03/17 21:52, Chandan Rajendra wrote:=0A=
>>> On Monday, March 13, 2017 03:33:07 AM Chris Packham wrote:=0A=
>>>=0A=
>>> The upstream commit=0A=
>>> (https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/com=
mit/?id=3Da528d35e8bfcc521d7cb70aaf03e1bd296c8493f)=0A=
>>> that introduces the statx syscall provides a test program. I will wire-=
up the=0A=
>>> syscall on ppc64, run that test program and post the patch if the test =
program=0A=
>>> works well.=0A=
>>>=0A=
>>=0A=
>> Thanks, I'd be happy to test a patch here.=0A=
>>=0A=
>> In the meantime I worked around the build issue by adding __INGORE_statx=
=0A=
>> to checksyscalls.sh.=0A=
>=0A=
> Is it actually breaking the build? It's meant to be a warning, and=0A=
> that's all I get.=0A=
>=0A=
> cheers=0A=
>=0A=
=0A=
It breaks my builds for ppc and arm. We do have KCFLAGS=3D-Werror in our =
=0A=
environment but KCPPFLAGS=3D is not set so I'm not sure why it's stopping =
=0A=
compilation.=0A=

* Re: syscall statx not implemented on powerpc
@ 2017-03-15  0:08         ` Michael Ellerman
From: Michael Ellerman @ 2017-03-15  0:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Packham, Chandan Rajendra, linuxppc-dev; +Cc: Paul Mackerras

Chris Packham <Chris.Packham@alliedtelesis.co.nz> writes:

> On 15/03/17 00:57, Michael Ellerman wrote:
>> Chris Packham <Chris.Packham@alliedtelesis.co.nz> writes:

>>> Thanks, I'd be happy to test a patch here.
>>>
>>> In the meantime I worked around the build issue by adding __INGORE_statx
>>> to checksyscalls.sh.
>>
>> Is it actually breaking the build? It's meant to be a warning, and
>> that's all I get.
>
> It breaks my builds for ppc and arm. We do have KCFLAGS=-Werror in our
> environment but KCPPFLAGS= is not set so I'm not sure why it's stopping
> compilation.

OK, I guess that must be it.

We turn on -Werror for all of arch/powerpc by default (unless
CONFIG_PPC_DISABLE_WERROR=y), but the syscall checking script is not
under arch/powerpc so shouldn't be affected by that.

cheers