* porting Grub to Xen
@ 2009-05-18 18:45 Ferenc Wagner
From: Ferenc Wagner @ 2009-05-18 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: grub-devel

Last week we had a very interesting chat on #grub, discussing various
possibilities to run Grub in a Xen paravirtual domain.  You showed
some interest in properly porting Grub to this architecture instead of
my misguided attempts to go through grub-emu and kexec.  You asked for
the interface docs to be able to assess the task.  Please find it under

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/research/srg/netos/xen/documentation.html

referenced as "Developer Manual" in HTML and PDF.  I put online the
current MiniOS source at http://apt.niif.hu/minios.tgz, which is
bundled with Xen, and provides a running example of the interface
specification.  Porting could mean taking the necessary parts or this,
and adding the Grub interface.  Please find attached my current disk
interface, which works under grub-emu (under MiniOS).

So, what do you think about this?  I'm afraid I don't have the
necessary low-level knowledge to be of much help starting, but at
least have a definite need, so I'll try my best.

Thanks,
Feri.

[-- Attachment #2: xendisk.c --]
[-- Type: text/x-csrc, Size: 3167 bytes --]

#include <grub/disk.h>

#include <grub/util/xendisk.h>

/* Parts stolen from stubdom/grub/mini-os.c */

#include <stdlib.h>
#include <malloc.h>
#include <string.h>
#include <assert.h>

#include <hypervisor.h>
#include <blkfront.h>

unsigned int blk_nb;
struct blkfront_dev **blk_dev;
struct blkfront_info *blk_info;

static int vbdcmp(const void *_vbd1, const void *_vbd2) {
    char *vbd1 = *(char **)_vbd1;
    char *vbd2 = *(char **)_vbd2;
    int vbdn1 = atoi(vbd1);
    int vbdn2 = atoi(vbd2);
    return vbdn1 - vbdn2;
}

static unsigned int
init_disk (void)
{
    char **list;
    char *msg;
    unsigned int i;
    char *path;

    msg = xenbus_ls(XBT_NIL, "device/vbd", &list);
    if (msg) {
        printk("Error %s while reading list of disks\n", msg);
        free(msg);
        return 0;
    }
    blk_nb = 0;
    while (list[blk_nb])
        blk_nb++;
    blk_dev = malloc(blk_nb * sizeof(*blk_dev));
    blk_info = malloc(blk_nb * sizeof(*blk_info));

    qsort(list, blk_nb, sizeof(*list), vbdcmp);

    for (i = 0; i < blk_nb; i++) {
        printk("vbd %s is hd%d\n", list[i], i);
        asprintf(&path, "device/vbd/%s", list[i]);
        blk_dev[i] = init_blkfront(path, &blk_info[i]);
        free(path);
        free(list[i]);
    }
    return blk_nb;
}

static grub_err_t
read_sectors (unsigned int drive, void *data, size_t count, off_t from)
{
	struct blkfront_aiocb aio;

	if (drive >= blk_nb) return GRUB_ERR_UNKNOWN_DEVICE;

	aio.aio_dev = blk_dev[drive];
	aio.aio_buf = data;
	aio.aio_nbytes = count * blk_info[drive].sector_size;
	aio.aio_offset =  from * blk_info[drive].sector_size;
	aio.aio_cb = NULL;
	blkfront_read (&aio);
	return GRUB_ERR_NONE; /* FIXME report error */
}

/* Grub interface */

static int
grub_util_xendisk_iterate (int (*hook) (const char *name))
{
    unsigned int i;
    char buf[10];

    for (i = 0; i < blk_nb; i++) {
        int ret;

        snprintf (buf, sizeof buf, "%d", i);
        ret = hook (buf);
        if (ret) return 1;
    }
    return 0;
}

static grub_err_t
grub_util_xendisk_open (const char *name, grub_disk_t disk)
{
    unsigned int drive = atoi (name);

    if (drive >= blk_nb) return GRUB_ERR_UNKNOWN_DEVICE;
    disk->has_partitions = 0;
    disk->id = drive;
    disk->total_sectors = blk_info[drive].sectors;
    return GRUB_ERR_NONE;
}

char buffer[GRUB_DISK_SECTOR_SIZE] __attribute__((aligned(PAGE_SIZE)));

static grub_err_t
grub_util_xendisk_read (grub_disk_t disk, grub_disk_addr_t sector,
                        grub_size_t count, char *buf)
{
    grub_size_t i;

    for (i=0; i<count; i++) {
        if (read_sectors (disk->id, buffer, 1, sector+i))
            return GRUB_ERR_READ_ERROR;
        memcpy (buf+i*GRUB_DISK_SECTOR_SIZE, buffer, GRUB_DISK_SECTOR_SIZE);
    }
    return GRUB_ERR_NONE;

}

static struct grub_disk_dev grub_util_xendisk_dev = {
    .name = "xendisk",
    .id = GRUB_DISK_DEVICE_XEN_ID,
    .iterate = grub_util_xendisk_iterate,
    .open = grub_util_xendisk_open,
    .close = 0,
    .read = grub_util_xendisk_read,
    .write = 0,
    .next = 0
  };

void
grub_util_xendisk_init ()
{
    grub_disk_dev_register (&grub_util_xendisk_dev);
}

* Re: porting Grub to Xen
@ 2009-05-18 19:36 ` Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko
From: Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko @ 2009-05-18 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

Hello

On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 8:45 PM, Ferenc Wagner <wferi@niif.hu> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Last week we had a very interesting chat on #grub, discussing various
> possibilities to run Grub in a Xen paravirtual domain.  You showed
> some interest in properly porting Grub to this architecture instead of
> my misguided attempts to go through grub-emu and kexec.  You asked for
> the interface docs to be able to assess the task.  Please find it under
>
> http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/research/srg/netos/xen/documentation.html
>
> referenced as "Developer Manual" in HTML and PDF.  I put online the
> current MiniOS source at http://apt.niif.hu/minios.tgz,
Xen is under GPLv2. Unless otherwise stated minios is under GPLv2 too.
In quick look I haven't found a separate license for minios. grub2 is
under GPLv3+ which makes it incompatible with gplv2. So this code
can't be used by grub2. If you really need a reference implementation
I suggest taking a look at freebsd. Ensure however that it's under new
BSD license before taking any code from it. If it contains the
advertising clause (old BSD license) then it's not GPLv3+-compatible.
Normally whole BSD is under new BSD license but check it. Also when
you borrow any code put borrowed code into separate files and clearly
indicate the origin and the original license. Also it's much better in
licensing and technical point of view to do it from scratch: it
usually results in a much cleaner code and it's not encumbered by
additional clauses
> which is
> bundled with Xen, and provides a running example of the interface
> specification.  Porting could mean taking the necessary parts or this,
> and adding the Grub interface.  Please find attached my current disk
> interface, which works under grub-emu (under MiniOS).
>
> So, what do you think about this?  I'm afraid I don't have the
> necessary low-level knowledge to be of much help starting, but at
> least have a definite need, so I'll try my best.
>
> Thanks,
> Feri.

Regards

@ 2009-05-18 22:38 ` Ferenc Wagner
From: Ferenc Wagner @ 2009-05-18 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

Ferenc Wagner <wferi@niif.hu> writes:

> my misguided attempts to go through grub-emu and kexec.

Just to clear up a possible miscommunication: the above kexec doesn't
have too much to do with the Linux kexec mechanism.  Rather, it's a
separate implementation to fully replace some software running in a
paravirtual domain with another.  It isn't necessarily Linux specific,
though there aren't too many paravitual OS-es yet.  Its author
explicitly suggested its use in Grub, so relicensing shouldn't be a
problem (similarly for MiniOS), but I asked for clarification.
Feri.

* Re: porting Grub to Xen
@ 2009-05-19 12:29   ` Ferenc Wagner
From: Ferenc Wagner @ 2009-05-19 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

"Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko" <phcoder@gmail.com> writes:

> On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 8:45 PM, Ferenc Wagner <wferi@niif.hu> wrote:
>
>> Last week we had a very interesting chat on #grub, discussing various
>> possibilities to run Grub in a Xen paravirtual domain.  You showed
>> some interest in properly porting Grub to this architecture instead of
>> my misguided attempts to go through grub-emu and kexec.  You asked for
>> the interface docs to be able to assess the task.  Please find it under
>>
>> http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/research/srg/netos/xen/documentation.html
>>
>> referenced as "Developer Manual" in HTML and PDF.  I put online the
>> current MiniOS source at http://apt.niif.hu/minios.tgz,
>
> Xen is under GPLv2. Unless otherwise stated minios is under GPLv2 too.
> In quick look I haven't found a separate license for minios.

Neither have I, but xen-devel says MiniOS is BSD, and should be
acceptable for Grub.

> Also it's much better in licensing and technical point of view to do
> it from scratch: it usually results in a much cleaner code and it's
> not encumbered by additional clauses

Like I said, realistically I'm rather far from being able to implement
this from scratch.  Unless a low-level expert lays down the
groundwork, I'll have to go back bolting the "kexec" code unto
grub-emu and running that.

Actually, I wonder if Grub could do any better booting paravirtual
domains: you said Grub already knows how to boot Linux, it's even
multiboot compliant, but I'm not sure that really helps much in this
situation, where it has to replace a PV image with another.
Feri.

* Re: porting Grub to Xen
@ 2009-06-03  9:33     ` Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko
From: Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko @ 2009-06-03  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

> Neither have I, but xen-devel says MiniOS is BSD, and should be
> acceptable for Grub.
If it's under MIT or new BSD license it is. However no code with
unclear licensing can be used in grub2

>> Also it's much better in licensing and technical point of view to do
>> it from scratch: it usually results in a much cleaner code and it's
>> not encumbered by additional clauses
>
> Like I said, realistically I'm rather far from being able to implement
> this from scratch.  Unless a low-level expert lays down the
> groundwork, I'll have to go back bolting the "kexec" code unto
> grub-emu and running that.
>
> Actually, I wonder if Grub could do any better booting paravirtual
> domains: you said Grub already knows how to boot Linux, it's even
> multiboot compliant, but I'm not sure that really helps much in this
> situation, where it has to replace a PV image with another.
It really depends on how much xen is similar to normal environment.
Unfortunately I have no deep knowledge of xen
> --
> Thanks,
> Feri.

Regards

@ 2009-06-05 19:37       ` Ferenc Wagner
From: Ferenc Wagner @ 2009-06-05 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

"Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko" <phcoder@gmail.com> writes:

>> Neither have I, but xen-devel says MiniOS is BSD, and should be
>> acceptable for Grub.
>
> If it's under MIT or new BSD license it is. However no code with
> unclear licensing can be used in grub2

The mini-os code has been reviewed and gained an explicit BSD license
just now to clear this issue up.

>> Actually, I wonder if Grub could do any better booting paravirtual
>> domains: you said Grub already knows how to boot Linux, it's even
>> multiboot compliant, but I'm not sure that really helps much in this
>> situation, where it has to replace a PV image with another.
>
> It really depends on how much xen is similar to normal environment.
> Unfortunately I have no deep knowledge of xen

Neither have I, but I'm willing to dig up info on this, just provide
some explicit questions, please.  Anyway, I've got the IRC logs of nyu
promising to get Grub going on Xen for me. :)  On the other hand, Grub
0.97 has been ported to Xen already, the code is available in the Xen
tree under stubdom/grub{.patches}, if you are willing to take a look.
Feri.

* Re: porting Grub to Xen
@ 2009-06-09 18:36         ` Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko
From: Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko @ 2009-06-09 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 9:37 PM, Ferenc Wagner<wferi@niif.hu> wrote:
> "Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko" <phcoder@gmail.com> writes:
>
>>> Neither have I, but xen-devel says MiniOS is BSD, and should be
>>> acceptable for Grub.
>>
>> If it's under MIT or new BSD license it is. However no code with
>> unclear licensing can be used in grub2
>
> The mini-os code has been reviewed and gained an explicit BSD license
> just now to clear this issue up.
Can you post the link? There are different BSD licenses and we need to
check that it's really compatible. Even if the license is ok I feel
however against making a whole port depending on non-FSF code. If
someone agrees to make is from scratch I would prefer it. If noone
does then I would be ok with you making this port based on stubdom.
However I don't want grub2 to depend on stubdom (this could be
discussed). Then all files based on stubdom will have to be separated
from the main code and correctly aknowledged where it comes from. We
will need a copyright assignment from you. Also we need a permission
from Yoshinori K Okuji or Marco Gerards
> Neither have I, but I'm willing to dig up info on this, just provide
> some explicit questions, please.  Anyway, I've got the IRC logs of nyu
> promising to get Grub going on Xen for me. :)  On the other hand, Grub
> 0.97 has been ported to Xen already, the code is available in the Xen
> tree under stubdom/grub{.patches}, if you are willing to take a look.
They can be used only if they didn't drop "or later" clause of grub1's
license and only under same terms as BSD code
> --
> Regards,
> Feri.

Regards

@ 2009-06-16 10:20           ` Ferenc Wagner
From: Ferenc Wagner @ 2009-06-16 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

"Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko" <phcoder@gmail.com> writes:

>>> If it's under MIT or new BSD license it is. However no code with
>>> unclear licensing can be used in grub2
>>
>> The mini-os code has been reviewed and gained an explicit BSD license
>> just now to clear this issue up.
>
> Can you post the link? There are different BSD licenses and we need to
> check that it's really compatible.

xen-unstable.hg/extras/minios/COPYING contains the following:

Copyright (c) 2009 Citrix Systems, Inc. All rights reserved.

modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions
are met:
1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
   notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
   documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.

THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY AUTHOR AND CONTRIBUTORS ``AS IS'' AND
ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE
IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE
ARE DISCLAIMED.  IN NO EVENT SHALL AUTHOR OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE
FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL
DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS
OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION)
HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT
LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY
OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF
SUCH DAMAGE.

> Even if the license is ok I feel however against making a whole port
> depending on non-FSF code. If someone agrees to make is from scratch
> I would prefer it. If noone does then I would be ok with you making
> this port based on stubdom.  However I don't want grub2 to depend on
> stubdom (this could be discussed). Then all files based on stubdom
> will have to be separated from the main code and correctly
> aknowledged where it comes from. We will need a copyright assignment
> from you. Also we need a permission from Yoshinori K Okuji or Marco
> Gerards

I can't really comment on the above apart from that I've already
signed a copyright assignment to FSF.

>> Neither have I, but I'm willing to dig up info on this, just provide
>> some explicit questions, please.  Anyway, I've got the IRC logs of nyu
>> promising to get Grub going on Xen for me. :)  On the other hand, Grub
>> 0.97 has been ported to Xen already, the code is available in the Xen
>> tree under stubdom/grub{.patches}, if you are willing to take a look.
>
> They can be used only if they didn't drop "or later" clause of grub1's
> license and only under same terms as BSD code.

OMG.  Who/what are the two "they"s above?  But only if it's really
important.  This legal stuff is such a drag...
Feri.

* Re: porting Grub to Xen
@ 2009-06-18 16:29             ` Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko
From: Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko @ 2009-06-18 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)