* Driver support for QCA6174 chip using SDIO interface
@ 2017-01-21 14:22 Akesh M Chacko
From: Akesh M Chacko @ 2017-01-21 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath10k

Hi,

We are using QCA6174 chip on our embedded platform using SDIO
interface. could you please help us to get the SDIO support for
QCA6174 driver.

Thanks & Regards
Akesh M Chacko

* Re: Driver support for QCA6174 chip using SDIO interface
@ 2017-01-27 15:36 ` Valo, Kalle
From: Valo, Kalle @ 2017-01-27 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Akesh M Chacko; +Cc: ath10k

Akesh M Chacko <akesh.chacko@vvdntech.in> writes:

> We are using QCA6174 chip on our embedded platform using SDIO
> interface. could you please help us to get the SDIO support for
> QCA6174 driver.

Erik Stromdahl is working on adding SDIO support to ath10k:

https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/9516477/

But it's still WIP.

--
Kalle Valo

* Re: Driver support for QCA6174 chip using SDIO interface
@ 2017-01-29 21:16   ` Erik Stromdahl
From: Erik Stromdahl @ 2017-01-29 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Valo, Kalle, Akesh M Chacko, Ann Lo; +Cc: ath10k

If you are interested in trying the latest version of the sdio code
you can clone the below repo:

https://github.com/erstrom/linux-ath.git

I have just pushed some updates for QCA9377 SDIO (that might work with
QCA6174 chipsets as well).

I will do some more testing of this code during the weeks to come.

If you could try it out and give me feedback it would be great!

@ 2017-01-31 11:34     ` Akesh M Chacko
From: Akesh M Chacko @ 2017-01-31 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik Stromdahl; +Cc: Valo, Kalle, Ann Lo, ath10k

Thanks for sharing the patches,
Our custom board is under assembly stage, once we have the board, will
test it and let u know
Thanks & Regards
Akesh M Chacko
Cell : +91 9567084416| Skype: akesh.vvdn | mail : akesh.chacko@vvdntech.in

@ 2017-02-21 11:26       ` Akesh M Chacko
From: Akesh M Chacko @ 2017-02-21 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik Stromdahl; +Cc: Valo, Kalle, Ann Lo, ath10k

hi,
I'm following your patch for adding SDIO support for QCA6174. Is the
firmware image for PCIe and SDIO interface are same?
If they are different, from where can i find the firmware image for
SDIO interface support in QCA6174A-3 v3.2.

Thanks & Regards
Akesh M Chacko

@ 2017-02-22 20:58         ` Erik Stromdahl
From: Erik Stromdahl @ 2017-02-22 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Akesh M Chacko; +Cc: Valo, Kalle, Ann Lo, ath10k

On 2017-02-21 12:26, Akesh M Chacko wrote:
> hi,
> I'm following your patch for adding SDIO support for QCA6174. Is the
> firmware image for PCIe and SDIO interface are same?
> If they are different, from where can i find the firmware image for
> SDIO interface support in QCA6174A-3 v3.2.

The firmware is not the same for sdio. You will need to obtain the firmware
from the module vendor and convert it into ath10k format with ath10k-fwencoder.

You need the tool qca-swiss-army-knife for this:

https://github.com/qca/qca-swiss-army-knife.git

Below is a script I have used when generating fw for my QCA9377 board:

### START ###
#! /bin/bash

ENCODER="./tools/scripts/ath10k/ath10k-fwencoder"

API_VER=5
HTT_OP_VERSION="tlv"
WMI_OP_VERSION="tlv"
FW="silex-SX-SDCAC-2830-SP/qwlan30.bin"
OTP="silex-SX-SDCAC-2830-SP/otp30.bin"
FEATURES="ignore-otp-result"

$ENCODER --create --otp=$OTP --firmware=$FW \
--set-wmi-op-version=$WMI_OP_VERSION \
--set-htt-op-version=$HTT_OP_VERSION \
--set-fw-api=$API_VER --features=$FEATURES

mv firmware-5.bin silex-SX-SDCAC-2830-SP/firmware-sdio-5.bin
### END ###

@ 2017-03-01  5:52           ` Akesh M Chacko
From: Akesh M Chacko @ 2017-03-01  5:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik Stromdahl; +Cc: Valo, Kalle, Ann Lo, ath10k

hi,
Could you please tell me from where can i get the sdio firmware for
QCA6174A-3 v3.2. Do i need to raise a request through qualcomm
createpoint for that?
Please let me know
Thanks & Regards
Akesh M Chacko
Cell : +91 9567084416| Skype: akesh.vvdn | mail : akesh.chacko@vvdntech.in

On Thu, Feb 23, 2017 at 2:28 AM, Erik Stromdahl

@ 2017-03-01  6:25             ` Erik Stromdahl
From: Erik Stromdahl @ 2017-03-01  6:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Akesh M Chacko; +Cc: Valo, Kalle, Ann Lo, ath10k

Firmware and board files are normally distributed by the module vendor
(MuRata, Silex, etc.).

Firmware is depending on chipset, so this is something QCA should be able
to provide.

Board files are module dependent and contains calibration etc. and should
definitely be obtained from the module vendor.

If you have a discrete design you would most likely have to create your own
board file (using ART etc.)

Kalle:
Perhaps you (or someone else at QCA) can initiate the work to make the sdio
firmware publicly available?

I have obtained QCA9377 sdio firmware from Silex, but I had to sign a
License Agreement in order to obtain those files. They are not publicly
available (so I can't redistribute them just like that).

@ 2017-03-04  4:41               ` Akesh M Chacko
From: Akesh M Chacko @ 2017-03-04  4:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik Stromdahl; +Cc: Valo, Kalle, Ann Lo, ath10k

hi Kalle,
any update on this SDIO firmware issue.

Thanks & Regards
Akesh M Chacko

On Wed, Mar 1, 2017 at 11:55 AM, Erik Stromdahl

@ 2017-03-09  7:39               ` Valo, Kalle
From: Valo, Kalle @ 2017-03-09  7:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik Stromdahl; +Cc: Akesh M Chacko, Ann Lo, ath10k

Hi,

sorry for the late reply, I was on vacation and catching up now.

Erik Stromdahl <erik.stromdahl@gmail.com> writes:

> Firmware and board files are normally distributed by the module vendor
> (MuRata, Silex, etc.).
>
> Firmware is depending on chipset, so this is something QCA should be able
> to provide.
>
> Board files are module dependent and contains calibration etc. and should
> definitely be obtained from the module vendor.
>
> If you have a discrete design you would most likely have to create your own
> board file (using ART etc.)
>
> Kalle:
> Perhaps you (or someone else at QCA) can initiate the work to make the sdio
> firmware publicly available?

I'll send a request forward internally, but that might take a while as
I'm heavily backlogged at the moment.

--
Kalle Valo

* Re: Driver support for QCA6174 chip using SDIO interface
@ 2017-05-12  0:20     ` Ann Lo
From: Ann Lo @ 2017-05-12  0:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik Stromdahl; +Cc: Akesh M Chacko, Valo, Kalle, ath10k

Hi Erik,

We are hoping to use your new SDIO patches for QCA9377 on kernel
version 4.1.36. There appears to be version 7 patches according to the
following email:
http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/ath10k/2017-April/009633.html

Would you advise on the followings?

1) What is the status of ath10k SDIO for QCA9377? The above email has
the comment "With this patch we have the low level HTC protocol
working and it's possible to boot the firmware, but it's still not
possible to connect or anything like." Do you have an estimate of the
time for full functionality, that wpa_supplicant and hostapd will run
successfully? How much further work is needed?

2) Our BSP uses kernel version 4.1.36. Can we apply your patches to
this version? Or, do we need to backport a newer version for QCA9377?

We are trying to prepare the software so that we can test when our
hardware is ready.

Thanks,
Ann

On Sun, Jan 29, 2017 at 1:16 PM, Erik Stromdahl
<erik.stromdahl@gmail.com> wrote:
> If you are interested in trying the latest version of the sdio code
> you can clone the below repo:
>
> https://github.com/erstrom/linux-ath.git
>
> I have just pushed some updates for QCA9377 SDIO (that might work with
> QCA6174 chipsets as well).
>
> I will do some more testing of this code during the weeks to come.
>
> If you could try it out and give me feedback it would be great!
>
> On 2017-01-27 16:36, Valo, Kalle wrote:
>>
>> Akesh M Chacko <akesh.chacko@vvdntech.in> writes:
>>
>>> We are using QCA6174 chip on our embedded platform using SDIO
>>> interface. could you please help us to get the SDIO support for
>>> QCA6174 driver.
>>

>> Erik Stromdahl is working on adding SDIO support to ath10k:
>>
>> https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/9516477/
>>
>> But it's still WIP.

* Re: Driver support for QCA6174 chip using SDIO interface
@ 2017-05-12 14:51       ` Erik Stromdahl
                           ` (2 more replies)
From: Erik Stromdahl @ 2017-05-12 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ann Lo; +Cc: Akesh M Chacko, Valo, Kalle, ath10k

On 2017-05-12 02:20, Ann Lo wrote:
> Hi Erik,
>
> We are hoping to use your new SDIO patches for QCA9377 on kernel
> version 4.1.36. There appears to be version 7 patches according to the
> following email:
> http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/ath10k/2017-April/009633.html
>
> Would you advise on the followings?
>
> 1) What is the status of ath10k SDIO for QCA9377? The above email has
> the comment "With this patch we have the low level HTC protocol
> working and it's possible to boot the firmware, but it's still not
> possible to connect or anything like." Do you have an estimate of the
> time for full functionality, that wpa_supplicant and hostapd will run
> successfully? How much further work is needed?

Well, first of all, the patches on the ath10k master only contain the
HIF layer (which is not that useful by itself). You will need a bunch
of generic HL (High Latency) patches as well. These patches are common
for both USB and SDIO and has not yet been integrated into the ath
mainline.
These patches are available on my ath repo on github:

https://github.com/erstrom/linux-ath

They should be treated as very experimental though!
There are a few known issues with the QCA9377 SDIO chip.
I have as of today not been able to associate with an AP (which
kind of limits the usefulness of the device, at least when operating
in STA mode :).
QCA9377 USB (Linksys WUSB6100M) works much better, but is unfortunately
not fully stable either since I am only capable of transmit/receive
~3Mbytes before it goes deaf (but at least I can associate and authenticate
to an AP with WPA2 PSK security).

So what remains to be done then?
Well, it seems as if the sdio chipset won't work that well with the
generic parts of ath10k. The setup of a device is HIF layer independent
(mostly implemented in mac.c) and has been tested thoroughly with the
PCIe devices. When looking at qcacld (another driver that is not part
of the Linux kernel), the setup is very different (different internal
parameters are configured and commands are executed in a different order).

 From my point of view I think the following things needs to be done:

1. Make mac.c work with high latency devices (SDIO and USB). I suspect
    that the setup of SDIO and USB is similar.
2. Add support for newer version of the WMI protocol. qcacld uses a
    different ABI version for the WMI messages.

Since I am doing this work as a spare time activity only, I can't make
any commitments or estimates of when everything is fully implemented.

> 2) Our BSP uses kernel version 4.1.36. Can we apply your patches to
> this version? Or, do we need to backport a newer version for QCA9377?

I would be very surprised if the patches applies on a 4.1.36 kernel.
ath10k is a very active project and much has happened since 4.1.36.
Besides, you would need a few other patches as well that has already
been integrated.
Perhaps the best way forward is the ath10k backports project?

@ 2017-05-12 17:30         ` Ann Lo
From: Ann Lo @ 2017-05-12 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik Stromdahl; +Cc: Akesh M Chacko, Valo, Kalle, ath10k

Thanks Erik for your reply. Your information is very useful to us.

Ann

On Fri, May 12, 2017 at 7:51 AM, Erik Stromdahl

@ 2017-05-15 17:50         ` Adrian Chadd
From: Adrian Chadd @ 2017-05-15 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik Stromdahl; +Cc: Valo, Kalle, ath10k

[snip]

hi!

Which driver are you using as a reference for the SDIO/USB side of things?

We have an interest in USB/SDIO support for Rome/Tuffalo in ath10k and
I'd like to see how I/we could help in kicking this along!

-adrian

* Re: Driver support for QCA6174 chip using SDIO interface
@ 2017-05-16  7:14         ` Kalle Valo
From: Kalle Valo @ 2017-05-16  7:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik Stromdahl; +Cc: Akesh M Chacko, Ann Lo, ath10k

Erik Stromdahl <erik.stromdahl@gmail.com> writes:

> On 2017-05-12 02:20, Ann Lo wrote:
>> Hi Erik,
>>
>> We are hoping to use your new SDIO patches for QCA9377 on kernel
>> version 4.1.36. There appears to be version 7 patches according to the
>> following email:
>> http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/ath10k/2017-April/009633.html
>>
>> Would you advise on the followings?
>>
>> 1) What is the status of ath10k SDIO for QCA9377? The above email has
>> the comment "With this patch we have the low level HTC protocol
>> working and it's possible to boot the firmware, but it's still not
>> possible to connect or anything like." Do you have an estimate of the
>> time for full functionality, that wpa_supplicant and hostapd will run
>> successfully? How much further work is needed?
>
> Well, first of all, the patches on the ath10k master only contain the
> HIF layer (which is not that useful by itself). You will need a bunch
> of generic HL (High Latency) patches as well. These patches are common
> for both USB and SDIO and has not yet been integrated into the ath
> mainline.
> These patches are available on my ath repo on github:
>
> https://github.com/erstrom/linux-ath
>
> They should be treated as very experimental though!
> There are a few known issues with the QCA9377 SDIO chip.
> I have as of today not been able to associate with an AP (which
> kind of limits the usefulness of the device, at least when operating
> in STA mode :).
> QCA9377 USB (Linksys WUSB6100M) works much better, but is unfortunately
> not fully stable either since I am only capable of transmit/receive
> ~3Mbytes before it goes deaf (but at least I can associate and authenticate
> to an AP with WPA2 PSK security).
>
> So what remains to be done then?
> Well, it seems as if the sdio chipset won't work that well with the
> generic parts of ath10k. The setup of a device is HIF layer independent
> (mostly implemented in mac.c) and has been tested thoroughly with the
> PCIe devices. When looking at qcacld (another driver that is not part
> of the Linux kernel), the setup is very different (different internal
> parameters are configured and commands are executed in a different order).
>
> From my point of view I think the following things needs to be done:
>
> 1. Make mac.c work with high latency devices (SDIO and USB). I suspect
>    that the setup of SDIO and USB is similar.
> 2. Add support for newer version of the WMI protocol. qcacld uses a
>    different ABI version for the WMI messages.
>
> Since I am doing this work as a spare time activity only, I can't make
> any commitments or estimates of when everything is fully implemented.

I think we should try to get rest of your patches into mainline as well,
even if they are experimental still. Hopefully we get more people
helping that way, Adrian already expressed his interest which is very
cool and others have been also asking especially SDIO support. And with
good luck there are just small fixes needed to SDIO and USB properly
working.

Let's just clearly document that SDIO and USB support is work in
progress, both during driver initialisation and Kconfig documentation.
Maybe we should even depend on BROKEN, dunno?

--
Kalle Valo

* Re: Driver support for QCA6174 chip using SDIO interface
@ 2017-05-16 12:59           ` Erik Stromdahl
From: Erik Stromdahl @ 2017-05-16 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adrian Chadd; +Cc: Valo, Kalle, ath10k

Hi Adrian,

On 2017-05-15 19:50, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> [snip]
>
> hi!
>
> Which driver are you using as a reference for the SDIO/USB side of things?

I am using qcacld. This driver can be tricky to get up and running with later
kernels. Below is a qcacld + kernel combo that I have managed to get up and
running with a QCA9377 SDIO board.

qcacld:
https://github.com/erstrom/qcacld-2.0/tree/boundary-LNX.LEH.4.2.2.2-4.5.20.037

kernel:
https://github.com/boundarydevices/linux-imx6/tree/boundary-imx_4.1.15_1.0.0_ga

The kernel is a special version from boundary devices with imx6 patches,
but I have used it successfully with an x86.

The above qcacld version does unfortunately not work that well with the Linksys
WUSB6100M device (also QCA9377 based). I get the same problems as I do with
my own ath10k patches (receiver goes deaf after a few megabytes).

> We have an interest in USB/SDIO support for Rome/Tuffalo in ath10k and
> I'd like to see how I/we could help in kicking this along!

Sounds great!
With more people starting to look at this, I think we can get things
up-and-running soon!

@ 2017-05-16 13:13           ` Erik Stromdahl
From: Erik Stromdahl @ 2017-05-16 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kalle Valo; +Cc: Akesh M Chacko, Ann Lo, ath10k

On 2017-05-16 09:14, Kalle Valo wrote:
> [...]
>> parameters are configured and commands are executed in a different order).
>>
>> From my point of view I think the following things needs to be done:
>>
>> 1. Make mac.c work with high latency devices (SDIO and USB). I suspect
>>    that the setup of SDIO and USB is similar.
>> 2. Add support for newer version of the WMI protocol. qcacld uses a
>>    different ABI version for the WMI messages.
>>
>> Since I am doing this work as a spare time activity only, I can't make
>> any commitments or estimates of when everything is fully implemented.
>
> I think we should try to get rest of your patches into mainline as well,
> even if they are experimental still. Hopefully we get more people
> helping that way, Adrian already expressed his interest which is very
> cool and others have been also asking especially SDIO support. And with
> good luck there are just small fixes needed to SDIO and USB properly

I am actually preparing another RFC round for USB. I think I will split
my remaining patches in two patchsets: USB and High Latency.

The USB patches will have a few USB specific patches and the HL patches
will have the high latency stuff that is common between SDIO and USB.

What do you think?

> Let's just clearly document that SDIO and USB support is work in
> progress, both during driver initialisation and Kconfig documentation.
> Maybe we should even depend on BROKEN, dunno?

I will write a similar disclaimer for USB as you did for SDIO.
Something like this:

"This module adds experimental support for USB bus. Currently
work in progress and will not fully work"

* Re: Driver support for QCA6174 chip using SDIO interface
@ 2017-05-17  9:32             ` Kalle Valo
From: Kalle Valo @ 2017-05-17  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik Stromdahl; +Cc: Akesh M Chacko, Ann Lo, ath10k

Erik Stromdahl <erik.stromdahl@gmail.com> writes:

>> I think we should try to get rest of your patches into mainline as well,
>> even if they are experimental still. Hopefully we get more people
>> helping that way, Adrian already expressed his interest which is very
>> cool and others have been also asking especially SDIO support. And with
>> good luck there are just small fixes needed to SDIO and USB properly
>> working.
>>
> I am actually preparing another RFC round for USB. I think I will split
> my remaining patches in two patchsets: USB and High Latency.
>
> The USB patches will have a few USB specific patches and the HL patches
> will have the high latency stuff that is common between SDIO and USB.
>
> What do you think?

I did take a look at your USB and HL patches earlier but I have already
forgotten what they contained. But at least in principle the split
sounds like a good idea. Just try to keep the size of patchsets
reasonable, a maximum of about a dozen (dependent) patches per set is a
good rule of thumb.

--
Kalle Valo