* [Buildroot] Overlay not using a merged /usr?
@ 2020-02-19 14:25 Whitney, Scott
From: Whitney, Scott @ 2020-02-19 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello Buildroot community,

I am working with a TI AM6548 SoC, and need to add some firmware (.elf) files so that they will end up in /lib/firmware/ti-pruss.  These files get loaded into some special cores within the SoC to create additional Ethernet ports.

I am using a Buildroot overlay with BR2_EXTERNAL, and tried to add the files under rootfs-overlay/lib/firmware/ti-pruss, i.e.:

scwhitn at ud9a5a686d6f756:~/Projects/AR_Reflex3_Buildroot/overlay/board/control-carrier/rootfs-overlay$ ls lib/firmware/ti-pruss
am65x-pru0-prueth-fw.elf  am65x-rtu0-prueth-fw.elf
am65x-pru1-prueth-fw.elf  am65x-rtu1-prueth-fw.elf

However, when I run make, I get the following error, and I'm not sure how to resolve it:

>>>   Sanity check in overlay /home/local/ANT/scwhitn/Projects/AR_Reflex3_Buildroot/overlay/board/control-carrier/rootfs-overlay
ERROR: The overlay in /home/local/ANT/scwhitn/Projects/AR_Reflex3_Buildroot/overlay/board/control-carrier/rootfs-overlay is not using a merged /usr for the following directories: /lib
Makefile:738: recipe for target 'target-finalize' failed
make: *** [target-finalize] Error 1

I'm not even sure what this message means, or how to fix it.  At the moment, the only "user" we really have is root.

Can someone explain how to add these files so that they will show up in /lib/firmware/ti-pruss/*.elf without errors?

I'm using buildroot-2019.02.6.  This is _urgent_; it's the last peripheral that we need to support before the project can be handed over to out client as complete.

Thanks for your help and understanding

Scott Whitney

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [Buildroot] Overlay not using a merged /usr?
@ 2020-02-19 15:12 ` Peter Korsgaard
From: Peter Korsgaard @ 2020-02-19 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

 > Hello Buildroot community,
 > I am working with a TI AM6548 SoC, and need to add some firmware
 > (.elf) files so that they will end up in /lib/firmware/ti-pruss.
 > These files get loaded into some special cores within the SoC to
 > create additional Ethernet ports.

 > I am using a Buildroot overlay with BR2_EXTERNAL, and tried to add the files under rootfs-overlay/lib/firmware/ti-pruss, i.e.:

 > scwhitn at ud9a5a686d6f756:~/Projects/AR_Reflex3_Buildroot/overlay/board/control-carrier/rootfs-overlay$ ls lib/firmware/ti-pruss
 > am65x-pru0-prueth-fw.elf  am65x-rtu0-prueth-fw.elf
 > am65x-pru1-prueth-fw.elf  am65x-rtu1-prueth-fw.elf

 > However, when I run make, I get the following error, and I'm not sure how to resolve it:

 > ERROR: The overlay in
 > /home/local/ANT/scwhitn/Projects/AR_Reflex3_Buildroot/overlay/board/control-carrier/rootfs-overlay
 > is not using a merged /usr for the following directories: /lib
 > Makefile:738: recipe for target 'target-finalize' failed
 > make: *** [target-finalize] Error 1

You are presumably using a merged /usr (BR2_ROOTFS_MERGED_USR), where
/lib should be a symlink to /usr/lib, so when you add a rootfs overlay
containing a /lib directory this is no longer valid and it complains.

Simply put your files in the overlay under /usr/lib/.. instead.

 > I'm using buildroot-2019.02.6.  This is _urgent_; it's the last
 > peripheral that we need to support before the project can be handed
 > over to out client as complete.

You may consider moving to 2019.02.9 for a number of (security) fixes
since the 2019.02.6 release, and also notice that the 2019.02.x will go
end of life in approximately 1 month, so consider updating to 2020.02
(once released at the end of the month).

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard

* [Buildroot] Overlay not using a merged /usr?
@ 2020-02-21 17:17   ` Whitney, Scott
From: Whitney, Scott @ 2020-02-21 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

That worked perfectly.  Thanks very much, Peter!

Scott Whitney