* dracut --reproducible by default
@ 2015-08-19  7:50 Giuseppe Scrivano
       [not found] ` <87a8tnvhs0.fsf-QWOdrvsUieXjVZl2hYKjvQ@public.gmane.org>
From: Giuseppe Scrivano @ 2015-08-19  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: initramfs-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

Hi,

We are currently considering to feed Dracut with --reproducible in the
rpm-ostree[1] project when creating a new OStree[2] tree image.  In this
way there won't be need to store an additional file when the new initrd
file matches an older one.  Everything works very well (except the
additional step of providing a patched GNU cpio for now).

Reproducible images seem to make a lot of sense, also for users that
don't know about the --reproducible option.  Is there any reason why
this is not done by default?

Thanks,
Giuseppe

1) https://github.com/projectatomic/rpm-ostree
2) https://github.com/GNOME/ostree/

* Re: dracut --reproducible by default
       [not found] ` <87a8tnvhs0.fsf-QWOdrvsUieXjVZl2hYKjvQ@public.gmane.org>
@ 2015-08-25 13:51   ` Giuseppe Scrivano
       [not found]     ` <87vbc3fpd5.fsf-QWOdrvsUieXjVZl2hYKjvQ@public.gmane.org>
From: Giuseppe Scrivano @ 2015-08-25 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: initramfs-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

ping?

@ 2015-09-02 10:16       ` Harald Hoyer
       [not found]         ` <55E6CC75.5080206-H+wXaHxf7aLQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org>
From: Harald Hoyer @ 2015-09-02 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Giuseppe Scrivano, initramfs-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

On 25.08.2015 15:51, Giuseppe Scrivano wrote:
> ping?
>
> Giuseppe Scrivano <gscrivan-H+wXaHxf7aLQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> We are currently considering to feed Dracut with --reproducible in the
>> rpm-ostree[1] project when creating a new OStree[2] tree image.  In this
>> way there won't be need to store an additional file when the new initrd
>> file matches an older one.  Everything works very well (except the
>> additional step of providing a patched GNU cpio for now).
>>
>> Reproducible images seem to make a lot of sense, also for users that
>> don't know about the --reproducible option.  Is there any reason why
>> this is not done by default?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Giuseppe
>>
>> 1) https://github.com/projectatomic/rpm-ostree
>> 2) https://github.com/GNOME/ostree/

No significant reason, except the penalty of the extra step, which fixes all
the timestamps.

@ 2015-09-02 12:11           ` Giuseppe Scrivano
       [not found]             ` <87vbbtyqac.fsf-QWOdrvsUieXjVZl2hYKjvQ@public.gmane.org>
From: Giuseppe Scrivano @ 2015-09-02 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harald Hoyer; +Cc: initramfs-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

Harald Hoyer <harald-H+wXaHxf7aLQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org> writes:

> On 25.08.2015 15:51, Giuseppe Scrivano wrote:
>> ping?
>>
>> Giuseppe Scrivano <gscrivan-H+wXaHxf7aLQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org> writes:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> We are currently considering to feed Dracut with --reproducible in the
>>> rpm-ostree[1] project when creating a new OStree[2] tree image.  In this
>>> way there won't be need to store an additional file when the new initrd
>>> file matches an older one.  Everything works very well (except the
>>> additional step of providing a patched GNU cpio for now).
>>>
>>> Reproducible images seem to make a lot of sense, also for users that
>>> don't know about the --reproducible option.  Is there any reason why
>>> this is not done by default?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Giuseppe
>>>
>>> 1) https://github.com/projectatomic/rpm-ostree
>>> 2) https://github.com/GNOME/ostree/
>
> No significant reason, except the penalty of the extra step, which fixes all
> the timestamps.

do you think it makes sense to make --reproducible the default, or do
you expect Dracut users, rpm-ostree in this case, to explicitly use it?

Thanks,
Giuseppe

@ 2015-09-02 12:12               ` Harald Hoyer
       [not found]                 ` <55E6E79E.1060800-H+wXaHxf7aLQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org>
From: Harald Hoyer @ 2015-09-02 12:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Giuseppe Scrivano; +Cc: initramfs-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

On 02.09.2015 14:11, Giuseppe Scrivano wrote:
> Harald Hoyer <harald-H+wXaHxf7aLQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org> writes:
>
>> On 25.08.2015 15:51, Giuseppe Scrivano wrote:
>>> ping?

>> No significant reason, except the penalty of the extra step, which fixes all
>> the timestamps.
>
> do you think it makes sense to make --reproducible the default, or do
> you expect Dracut users, rpm-ostree in this case, to explicitly use it?
>
> Thanks,
> Giuseppe

I think, I'll make it the default.

@ 2015-11-03  9:33                   ` Giuseppe Scrivano
From: Giuseppe Scrivano @ 2015-11-03  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harald Hoyer; +Cc: initramfs-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

Hi Harald,

Harald Hoyer <harald-H+wXaHxf7aLQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org> writes:

>> do you think it makes sense to make --reproducible the default, or do
>> you expect Dracut users, rpm-ostree in this case, to explicitly use it?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Giuseppe
>>

> I think, I'll make it the default.

is there any version of Dracut that has it as the default so I can start
testing it with rpm-ostree?

Regards,
Giuseppe