* Converting kirkwood-goflexnet to DTS
@ 2012-06-14 14:17 Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2012-06-14 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

Hi Josh

Welcome to the fun...

# CONFIG_SERIAL_OF_PLATFORM is not set

You need this one, if you want the serial ports to work...  Also,
don't be surprised when they do work, even though IRQ=0!

It is a good idea to build the kernel with earlyprintk support and to
pass it as a kernel parameter.

Also, -rc2 is FUBAR on all Orion platforms, unless you have:

http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ports.arm.kernel/170442

	Andrew

* Converting kirkwood-goflexnet to DTS
@ 2012-06-14 22:16 ` Josh Coombs
From: Josh Coombs @ 2012-06-14 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

Finally some progress.  Using the printk patch along with earlyprintk
and the config tweaks as suggested, my kernel at least now shows why
it's dying:

--------------------------
## Booting kernel from Legacy Image at 00800000 ...
   Image Name:   Linux-3.5.0-rc2-ARCH
   Image Type:   ARM Linux Kernel Image (uncompressed)
   Data Size:    3015272 Bytes = 2.9 MiB
   Load Address: 00008000
   Entry Point:  00008000
   Verifying Checksum ... OK
OK

Starting kernel ...

Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel.

Error: unrecognized/unsupported machine ID (r1 = 0x00000c11).

Available machine support:

ID (hex)        NAME
ffffffff        Marvell Kirkwood (Flattened Device Tree)

Please check your kernel config and/or bootloader.
--------------------------

Obviously, I've missed something with my work as my machine is not
showing up as a supported unit in that list.  At least the machine ID
being detected is correct, so that's a plus.

I should be able to crack this and have another test kernel in 4
hours, I'm hoping with good results.

Josh C

* Converting kirkwood-goflexnet to DTS
@ 2012-06-15  4:53   ` Josh Coombs
From: Josh Coombs @ 2012-06-15  4:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 6:16 PM, Josh Coombs <josh.coombs@gmail.com> wrote:
> Finally some progress. ?Using the printk patch along with earlyprintk
> and the config tweaks as suggested, my kernel at least now shows why
> it's dying:
>
> --------------------------
> ## Booting kernel from Legacy Image at 00800000 ...
> ? Image Name: ? Linux-3.5.0-rc2-ARCH
> ? Image Type: ? ARM Linux Kernel Image (uncompressed)
> ? Data Size: ? ?3015272 Bytes = 2.9 MiB
> ? Load Address: 00008000
> ? Entry Point: ?00008000
> ? Verifying Checksum ... OK
> OK
>
> Starting kernel ...
>
> Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel.
>
> Error: unrecognized/unsupported machine ID (r1 = 0x00000c11).
>
> Available machine support:
>
> ID (hex) ? ? ? ?NAME
> ffffffff ? ? ? ?Marvell Kirkwood (Flattened Device Tree)
>
> Please check your kernel config and/or bootloader.
> --------------------------

I'm still stuck with the same error.  I'm working against 5.2rc2 with
the Orion/kirkwood printk.c patch.

I'm not 100% on proper etiquette here so rather than spam first and
get scolded, I've pastebined the relevant info.

My current patchset is here: http://pastie.org/4090298
The stripped kernel conf I'm using is here: http://pastie.org/4090323

I'm including all but the iconnect flattened tree board types in my
config, included DTS early testing, and am appending the DTS
definitions to the end of the kernel as I don't expect my uboot to
play nice, so I'm rather surprised to not see any of the boards show
up as supported with that boot error.  I feel like this has got to be
a kernel conf issue, or I'm missing a step in preparing a DTS based
kernel.

I also know my board definition will need cleanup to support both the
GoFlex Net and Home but went this way just to test the concept first.

Josh C

* Converting kirkwood-goflexnet to DTS
@ 2012-06-15  8:41     ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2012-06-15  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

Hello,

Le Fri, 15 Jun 2012 00:53:45 -0400,
Josh Coombs <josh.coombs@gmail.com> a ?crit :

> > Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel.
> >
> > Error: unrecognized/unsupported machine ID (r1 = 0x00000c11).
> >
> > Available machine support:
> >
> > ID (hex) ? ? ? ?NAME
> > ffffffff ? ? ? ?Marvell Kirkwood (Flattened Device Tree)
> >
> > Please check your kernel config and/or bootloader.
> > --------------------------
>
> I'm still stuck with the same error.  I'm working against 5.2rc2 with
> the Orion/kirkwood printk.c patch.
>
> I'm not 100% on proper etiquette here so rather than spam first and
> get scolded, I've pastebined the relevant info.
>
> My current patchset is here: http://pastie.org/4090298
> The stripped kernel conf I'm using is here: http://pastie.org/4090323
>
> I'm including all but the iconnect flattened tree board types in my
> config, included DTS early testing, and am appending the DTS
> definitions to the end of the kernel as I don't expect my uboot to
> play nice, so I'm rather surprised to not see any of the boards show
> up as supported with that boot error.  I feel like this has got to be
> a kernel conf issue, or I'm missing a step in preparing a DTS based
> kernel.
>
> I also know my board definition will need cleanup to support both the
> GoFlex Net and Home but went this way just to test the concept first.

Seems like your kernel isn't seeing the appended DTB, and therefore
falls back at looking at r1 for a machine ID. Can you detail the
command line you're using to build your kernel?

What I'm doing is:

 1) Build the zImage

 make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabi- -j4

 2) Build the DTB

 make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabi- armada-xp-db.dtb

 3) Concatenate zImage+DTB

 arch/arm/boot/zImage arch/arm/boot/armada-xp-db.dtb  > zImage-armada-xp.dtb

 4) Run mkimage on it

 /bin/bash scripts/mkuboot.sh -A arm -O linux -T kernel -C none -a 0x00008000 -e 0x00008000 -n 'Linux-marvell' -d zImage-armada-xp.dtb arch/arm/boot/uImage.armada-xp

 5) Boot arch/arm/boot/uImage.armada-xp

Of course, in the final step, you need to adjust the -a and -e options
as needed for your platform. But apparently, your platform uses the
same addresses.

Are you doing something similar to prepare your uImage? As far as I
know, the kernel build process does not automatically append the DTB,
so you have to do it manually as detailed above.

Regards,

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons
http://free-electrons.com

* Converting kirkwood-goflexnet to DTS
@ 2012-06-15 12:40       ` Josh Coombs
From: Josh Coombs @ 2012-06-15 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

Thomas, Andrew,

You were both correct.  After one additional test failure last night
and a lot more reading I reached the same conclusion, I was foolishly
thinking .dtbs would be automatically appended to the kernel when
configured to support that method of including them.

What I did this morning:

make
make kirkwood-goflexnet.dtb
cat arch/arm/boot/kirkwood-goflexnet.dtb >> arch/arm/boot/zImage
make uImage

That resulted in: http://pastie.org/4092019

Boots, with some serious errors, doesn't seem to mount a FS and stops.
 Reducing my kernel arguments down to "console=ttyS0,115200
earlyprintk rootfs=/dev/sda1 rootdelay=10" I see the same errors, but
I also show the key hardware involved being detected, and the nand
partitioning looks correct.  My status LED goes solid green, so it
appears something is working right.  I'll dig into goflexnet_init next
to try and determine what is wrong in there.

Josh C

* Converting kirkwood-goflexnet to DTS
@ 2012-06-15 12:53         ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2012-06-15 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

Josh,

Le Fri, 15 Jun 2012 08:40:48 -0400,
Josh Coombs <josh.coombs@gmail.com> a ?crit :

> You were both correct.  After one additional test failure last night
> and a lot more reading I reached the same conclusion, I was foolishly
> thinking .dtbs would be automatically appended to the kernel when
> configured to support that method of including them.

Yeah, but the DTB append feature is only a development/debugging
feature provided to allow DT-related development with non-DT capable
bootloaders. However, my understanding is that it is assumed that
people should ultimately use DT-capable bootloaders.

> That resulted in: http://pastie.org/4092019
>
> Boots, with some serious errors, doesn't seem to mount a FS and stops.
>  Reducing my kernel arguments down to "console=ttyS0,115200
> earlyprintk rootfs=/dev/sda1 rootdelay=10" I see the same errors, but
> I also show the key hardware involved being detected, and the nand
> partitioning looks correct.  My status LED goes solid green, so it
> appears something is working right.  I'll dig into goflexnet_init next
> to try and determine what is wrong in there.

Haven't looked at the details, but aren't certain devices registered
multiple times?

Thomas
--

@ 2012-06-15 12:58         ` Arnaud Patard (Rtp)
From: Arnaud Patard (Rtp) @ 2012-06-15 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

Josh Coombs <josh.coombs@gmail.com> writes:

> Thomas, Andrew,
>
> You were both correct.  After one additional test failure last night
> and a lot more reading I reached the same conclusion, I was foolishly
> thinking .dtbs would be automatically appended to the kernel when
> configured to support that method of including them.
>
> What I did this morning:
>
> make
> make kirkwood-goflexnet.dtb
> cat arch/arm/boot/kirkwood-goflexnet.dtb >> arch/arm/boot/zImage
> make uImage
>
> That resulted in: http://pastie.org/4092019

[   18.294288] [<c055f99c>] (kirkwood_init+0x50/0x7c) from [<c056023c>] (goflexnet_init+0x8/0x7c)

seems wrong. You don't have to call kirkwood_init() in DT case afaik.

Arnaud

* Converting kirkwood-goflexnet to DTS
@ 2012-06-15 22:55           ` Josh Coombs
From: Josh Coombs @ 2012-06-15 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

>> What I did this morning:
>>
>> make
>> make kirkwood-goflexnet.dtb
>> cat arch/arm/boot/kirkwood-goflexnet.dtb >> arch/arm/boot/zImage
>> make uImage
>>
>> That resulted in: http://pastie.org/4092019
>>
> [ ? 18.294288] [<c055f99c>] (kirkwood_init+0x50/0x7c) from [<c056023c>] (goflexnet_init+0x8/0x7c)
>
> seems wrong. You don't have to call kirkwood_init() in DT case afaik.
>
> Arnaud

You're correct Arnaud, chalk that up to another rookie mistake on my
part.  So close now.  Correcting goflexnet_init, I now only get one
bit of noise during init, seems to be related to cfq?  The kernel sees
my drives and volumes, but it's still not proceeding to mount a rootfs
and proceed with the boot.

http://pastie.org/4095067

My next line of thought is to tweak my kernel conf so I'm just using
noop, and to specify my rootfs as a compiled in kernel arg to see if
there is something going on with how uboot args are getting passed on.
 I'd expect it to complain about a missing rootfs if it wasn't getting
that string but I'm not sure how else to verify correct behavior.

Josh C

* Converting kirkwood-goflexnet to DTS
@ 2012-06-17 12:40             ` Josh Coombs
From: Josh Coombs @ 2012-06-17 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

Decided to backtrack a bit.  I rolled my setup into 3.4.2 to see what
happens as I'm currently running that version via a non-DTS based
patch right now.  Same behavior, the kernel initializes but stops
before attaching a root device and firing up init.

I've got a couple more hacks to try next to see if I can pinpoint
what's keeping my GoFlex from working when other similar Kirkwoods
seem to play with DTS kernels just fine.

Josh Coombs

* Converting kirkwood-goflexnet to DTS
@ 2012-06-15  6:30 Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2012-06-15  6:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

Hi Josh

My guess is you have a problem with the DT blob.

How are you appending the DTS blob?

I have the kernel option:

CONFIG_ARM_APPENDED_DTB=y

I compile the .dts/.dtsi with:

$ make kirkwood-ts219-6282.dtb
  DTC     arch/arm/boot/kirkwood-ts219-6282.dtb
DTC: dts->dtb  on file "arch/arm/boot/dts/kirkwood-ts219-6282.dts"

and then attach the blob to the kernel and place it on my tftp server
with:

#!/bin/bash

tmp=$(tempfile)

cat arch/arm/boot/zImage > $tmp
cat arch/arm/boot/kirkwood-ts219-6282.dtb >> $tmp
mkimage -A arm -O linux -T kernel -C none -a 0x00008000 -e 0x00008000 -d $tmp /srv/tftp/uImage-dev
rm $tmp

And then load and boot it using u-boot.

    Andrew

* Converting kirkwood-goflexnet to DTS
@ 2012-06-14 14:00     ` Jason Cooper
From: Jason Cooper @ 2012-06-14 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 09:28:24AM -0400, Josh Coombs wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 3:10 PM, Jason Cooper <jason@lakedaemon.net> wrote:
>
> > I would recommend looking at how we did the first board, the dreamplug.
> > Files of interest are:
> >
> > arch/arm/boot/dts/kirkwood.dtsi
> > arch/arm/boot/dts/kirkwood-dreamplug.dts
> > arch/arm/mach-kirkwood/board-dt.c
> > arch/arm/mach-kirkwood/board-dreamplug.c
> > arch/arm/mach-kirkwood/Kconfig
> > arch/arm/mach-kirkwood/Makefile
> > arch/arm/mach-kirkwood/Makefile.boot
> >
> > commit 3d468b6 seems to be a good place to start.
> >
> > For your first patch series, use the dtb to tell the kernel what board
> > it is on. ?Once that's working, then you just start coverting over
> > drivers one by one. ?Several are already done.
>
> First pass didn't boot, no kernel messages.  I'm going to go through
> the ArchLinux ARM superpatch to see if there are any items not
> directly pegged to the GoFlex that might be involved next, as well as
> cutting my conf down to just what's needed for the GFN to cut down my
> build times.  While I'm doing that, what do I NEED to configure for
> proper DTS support?

> # CONFIG_SERIAL_OF_PLATFORM is not set

You'll need to set this ^^ and add the serial block to your dts file.  I
have a patch in the works to enable this and some other things by
default in kirkwood_defconfig.  So, hopefully this won't be an issue for
too much longer.

Also, EARLY_PRINTK is helpful if the bootloader already configured the
serial port.

hth,

Jason.

* Converting kirkwood-goflexnet to DTS
@ 2012-06-14 13:59     ` Arnaud Patard (Rtp)
From: Arnaud Patard (Rtp) @ 2012-06-14 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

Josh Coombs <josh.coombs@gmail.com> writes:

> On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 3:10 PM, Jason Cooper <jason@lakedaemon.net> wrote:
>
>> I would recommend looking at how we did the first board, the dreamplug.
>> Files of interest are:
>>
>> arch/arm/boot/dts/kirkwood.dtsi
>> arch/arm/boot/dts/kirkwood-dreamplug.dts
>> arch/arm/mach-kirkwood/board-dt.c
>> arch/arm/mach-kirkwood/board-dreamplug.c
>> arch/arm/mach-kirkwood/Kconfig
>> arch/arm/mach-kirkwood/Makefile
>> arch/arm/mach-kirkwood/Makefile.boot
>>
>> commit 3d468b6 seems to be a good place to start.
>>
>> For your first patch series, use the dtb to tell the kernel what board
>> it is on. ?Once that's working, then you just start coverting over
>> drivers one by one. ?Several are already done.
>>
>> hth,
>>
>> Jason.
>
> First pass didn't boot, no kernel messages.  I'm going to go through
> the ArchLinux ARM superpatch to see if there are any items not
> directly pegged to the GoFlex that might be involved next, as well as
> cutting my conf down to just what's needed for the GFN to cut down my
> build times.  While I'm doing that, what do I NEED to configure for
> proper DTS support?
>
> CONFIG_ARCH_KIRKWOOD=y
>
> CONFIG_ARCH_KIRKWOOD_DT=y
> CONFIG_MACH_DREAMPLUG_DT=n
> CONFIG_MACH_ICONNECT_DT=n
> CONFIG_MACH_DLINK_KIRKWOOD_DT=n
> CONFIG_MACH_IB62X0_DT=n
> CONFIG_MACH_GOFLEX_DT=y
>
> CONFIG_USE_OF=y
> CONFIG_ARM_APPENDED_DTB=y
> CONFIG_ARM_ATAG_DTB_COMPAT=y
> CONFIG_CMDLINE=""
> CONFIG_ATAGS_PROC=y
>
> CONFIG_USE_OF=y
> CONFIG_MTD_OF_PARTS=y
> # CONFIG_MTD_PHYSMAP_OF is not set
> CONFIG_OF=y
> # CONFIG_OF_SELFTEST is not set
> CONFIG_OF_FLATTREE=y
> CONFIG_OF_EARLY_FLATTREE=y
> CONFIG_OF_ADDRESS=y
> CONFIG_OF_IRQ=y
> CONFIG_OF_DEVICE=y
> CONFIG_OF_I2C=m
> CONFIG_OF_NET=y
> CONFIG_OF_MDIO=y
> CONFIG_OF_PCI=y
> CONFIG_OF_PCI_IRQ=y
> CONFIG_OF_MTD=y
> # CONFIG_SERIAL_OF_PLATFORM is not set

You should enable this one if you want to use the serial port.

Arnaud

* Converting kirkwood-goflexnet to DTS
@ 2012-06-14 13:28   ` Josh Coombs
From: Josh Coombs @ 2012-06-14 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 3:10 PM, Jason Cooper <jason@lakedaemon.net> wrote:

> I would recommend looking at how we did the first board, the dreamplug.
> Files of interest are:
>
> arch/arm/boot/dts/kirkwood.dtsi
> arch/arm/boot/dts/kirkwood-dreamplug.dts
> arch/arm/mach-kirkwood/board-dt.c
> arch/arm/mach-kirkwood/board-dreamplug.c
> arch/arm/mach-kirkwood/Kconfig
> arch/arm/mach-kirkwood/Makefile
> arch/arm/mach-kirkwood/Makefile.boot
>
> commit 3d468b6 seems to be a good place to start.
>
> For your first patch series, use the dtb to tell the kernel what board
> it is on. ?Once that's working, then you just start coverting over
> drivers one by one. ?Several are already done.
>
> hth,
>
> Jason.

First pass didn't boot, no kernel messages.  I'm going to go through
the ArchLinux ARM superpatch to see if there are any items not
directly pegged to the GoFlex that might be involved next, as well as
cutting my conf down to just what's needed for the GFN to cut down my
build times.  While I'm doing that, what do I NEED to configure for
proper DTS support?

CONFIG_ARCH_KIRKWOOD=y

CONFIG_ARCH_KIRKWOOD_DT=y
CONFIG_MACH_DREAMPLUG_DT=n
CONFIG_MACH_ICONNECT_DT=n
CONFIG_MACH_DLINK_KIRKWOOD_DT=n
CONFIG_MACH_IB62X0_DT=n
CONFIG_MACH_GOFLEX_DT=y

CONFIG_USE_OF=y
CONFIG_ARM_APPENDED_DTB=y
CONFIG_ARM_ATAG_DTB_COMPAT=y
CONFIG_CMDLINE=""
CONFIG_ATAGS_PROC=y

CONFIG_USE_OF=y
CONFIG_MTD_OF_PARTS=y
# CONFIG_MTD_PHYSMAP_OF is not set
CONFIG_OF=y
# CONFIG_OF_SELFTEST is not set
CONFIG_OF_FLATTREE=y
CONFIG_OF_EARLY_FLATTREE=y
CONFIG_OF_ADDRESS=y
CONFIG_OF_IRQ=y
CONFIG_OF_DEVICE=y
CONFIG_OF_I2C=m
CONFIG_OF_NET=y
CONFIG_OF_MDIO=y
CONFIG_OF_PCI=y
CONFIG_OF_PCI_IRQ=y
CONFIG_OF_MTD=y
# CONFIG_SERIAL_OF_PLATFORM is not set
CONFIG_OF_GPIO=y

Am I missing anything?

Joshua Coombs

* Converting kirkwood-goflexnet to DTS
@ 2012-06-13 19:10 ` Jason Cooper
From: Jason Cooper @ 2012-06-13 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 02:27:25PM -0400, Josh Coombs wrote:
> I have a functional Seagate GoFlex Net running 3.4.2 using a patched
> in mach-kirkwood board definition from the Archlinux ARM port.  Based
> on my reading it appears the way to move forward is to build a DTS
> file for the device and once stable, it might be possible to get it
> supported directly by the mainline kernel for a change.

Yep.

@ 2012-06-13 18:27 Josh Coombs