* New btrfsck status
@ 2011-02-10  2:52 Ben Gamari
From: Ben Gamari @ 2011-02-10  2:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

Hey all,

Over the last several months there have been many claims regarding the
release of the rewritten btrfsck. Unfortunately, despite numerous
claims that it will be released Real Soon Now(c), I have yet to see
even a repository with preliminary code. Did I miss an announcement?
There is something to be said for "release early, release often." Is
there a timeline for getting btrfsck into some sort of usable form?

Cheers,

- Ben

* Re: New btrfsck status
@ 2011-02-10  3:04 ` cwillu
From: cwillu @ 2011-02-10  3:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ben Gamari; +Cc: linux-btrfs

On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 8:52 PM, Ben Gamari <bgamari@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> Over the last several months there have been many claims regarding the
> release of the rewritten btrfsck. Unfortunately, despite numerous
> claims that it will be released Real Soon Now(c), I have yet to see
> even a repository with preliminary code. Did I miss an announcement?
> There is something to be said for "release early, release often." Is
> there a timeline for getting btrfsck into some sort of usable form?

I can't speak for the devs, but that's never stopped me before :p

Speculative code to directly muck with known-to-be-corrupted data
structures is not something that benefits from early releases.  It's
too easy to cause damage that _can't_ be fixed later, and no amount of
warnings will prevent people from trying that code in desperation.

Or would you have taken a full image of your 8 drives before trying it
the first time?

* Re: New btrfsck status
@ 2011-02-10 12:17 ` Chris Mason
From: Chris Mason @ 2011-02-10 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ben Gamari; +Cc: linux-btrfs

Excerpts from Ben Gamari's message of 2011-02-09 21:52:20 -0500:
> Hey all,
>
> Over the last several months there have been many claims regarding the
> release of the rewritten btrfsck. Unfortunately, despite numerous
> claims that it will be released Real Soon Now(c), I have yet to see
> even a repository with preliminary code. Did I miss an announcement?
> There is something to be said for "release early, release often." Is
> there a timeline for getting btrfsck into some sort of usable form?

Yes, but its still real soon now.  I've been at about 90% done since
Christmas.  It would have been out last week but I've been chasing a
debugging a very difficult corruption under load.

I finally found a race in btrfs causing the corruption and now I'm back
on fsck full time again.

-chris

* Re: New btrfsck status
@ 2011-02-10 12:26   ` Ben Gamari
From: Ben Gamari @ 2011-02-10 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Mason; +Cc: linux-btrfs

On Thu, 10 Feb 2011 07:17:10 -0500, Chris Mason <chris.mason@oracle.com> wrote:
> Excerpts from Ben Gamari's message of 2011-02-09 21:52:20 -0500:
> > Is there a timeline for getting btrfsck into some sort of usable form?
>
> Yes, but its still real soon now.  I've been at about 90% done since
> Christmas.  It would have been out last week but I've been chasing a
> debugging a very difficult corruption under load.
>
> I finally found a race in btrfs causing the corruption and now I'm back
> on fsck full time again.

Glad to hear this. Thank you very much for your update. With respect to
the other thread (re: loose eSATA cable). I can keep the array around in
its current form if it would provide a good test case for btrfsck. That
being said, I'm really looking to recover some of the data from this
array if at all possible.

Cheers,

- Ben

* Re: New btrfsck status
@ 2011-03-29 12:13   ` Thomas Backlund
From: Thomas Backlund @ 2011-03-29 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Mason; +Cc: linux-btrfs

Chris Mason skrev 10.2.2011 14:17:
> Excerpts from Ben Gamari's message of 2011-02-09 21:52:20 -0500:
>> Hey all,
>>
>> Over the last several months there have been many claims regarding the
>> release of the rewritten btrfsck. Unfortunately, despite numerous
>> claims that it will be released Real Soon Now(c), I have yet to see
>> even a repository with preliminary code. Did I miss an announcement?
>> There is something to be said for "release early, release often." Is
>> there a timeline for getting btrfsck into some sort of usable form?
>
> Yes, but its still real soon now.  I've been at about 90% done since
> Christmas.  It would have been out last week but I've been chasing a
> debugging a very difficult corruption under load.
>
> I finally found a race in btrfs causing the corruption and now I'm back
> on fsck full time again.

Any status updates on this ?

Checking:
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/mason/btrfs-progs-unstable.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/next

I see last commit is 3+ months ago

--
Thomas

* Re: New btrfsck status
@ 2011-04-13 14:00     ` Ernst Sjöstrand
From: Ernst Sjöstrand @ 2011-04-13 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

A very good question indeed! ;-)

Regards
//Ernst Sj=C3=B6strand

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 14:13, Thomas Backlund <tmb@mandriva.org> wrote=
:
> Chris Mason skrev 10.2.2011 14:17:
>>
>> Excerpts from Ben Gamari's message of 2011-02-09 21:52:20 -0500:
>>>
>>> Hey all,
>>>
>>> Over the last several months there have been many claims regarding =
the
>>> release of the rewritten btrfsck. Unfortunately, despite numerous
>>> claims that it will be released Real Soon Now(c), I have yet to see
>>> even a repository with preliminary code. Did I miss an announcement=
?
>>> There is something to be said for "release early, release often." I=
>>> there a timeline for getting btrfsck into some sort of usable form?
>>
>> Yes, but its still real soon now. =C2=A0I've been at about 90% done =
since
>> Christmas. =C2=A0It would have been out last week but I've been chas=
ing a
>> debugging a very difficult corruption under load.
>>
>> I finally found a race in btrfs causing the corruption and now I'm b=
ack
>> on fsck full time again.
>>

> Any status updates on this ?
>
> Checking:
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=3Dlinux/kernel/git/mason/btrfs-progs-unstabl=
e.git;a=3Dshortlog;h=3Drefs/heads/next

> I see last commit is 3+ months ago
>
> --
> Thomas
in

* Re: New btrfsck status
@ 2011-06-13 18:56   ` Daniel Witzel
From: Daniel Witzel @ 2011-06-13 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

Same here, got 5TB in "suspense", running btfs-progs-unstable, also tried the
new hugo patches. Kernel 2.6.39-r1 gentoo box

error from mount /dev/sdf1 /server, or btrfsck -s 0,1,2,etc /dev/sdd1:

parent transid verify failed on 2206281838592 wanted 2135 found 1545
btrfsck: disk-io.c:739: open_ctree_fd: Assertion `!(!tree_root->node)' failed.
Aborted

* Re: New btrfsck status
@ 2011-06-07 16:52 ` Jeff Putney
From: Jeff Putney @ 2011-06-07 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Hesse; +Cc: Linux Btrfs

Me too.  I've got a 9TB filesystem that I can't mount since rebooting
during a rebalance.  I want to get the fs as repaired as possible, but
I am not in a hurry, and I have enough space at present to make a
duplicate and play with test versions of the repair.

--jeff

On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 9:41 AM, Christian Hesse <list@eworm.de> wrote:
> Chris Mason on 10 Feb 13:17:
>> Excerpts from Ben Gamari's message of 2011-02-09 21:52:20 -0500:
>> > Over the last several months there have been many claims regarding
>> > the release of the rewritten btrfsck. Unfortunately, despite
>> > numerous claims that it will be released Real Soon Now(c), I have
>> > yet to see even a repository with preliminary code. Did I miss an
>> > announcement? There is something to be said for "release early,
>> > release often." Is there a timeline for getting btrfsck into some
>> > sort of usable form?
>>
>> Yes, but its still real soon now. =A0I've been at about 90% done sin=
ce
>> Christmas. =A0It would have been out last week but I've been chasing=
>> debugging a very difficult corruption under load.
>>
>> I finally found a race in btrfs causing the corruption and now I'm
>> back on fsck full time again.
>
> This mail was about four month ago...
> Any news on this topic?
>
> I really would like to test btrfs on my desktop systems, but I still
> hesitate because of the missing fsck.
> --
> Schoene Gruesse
> Chris