* ANNOUNCE: TimeBrowse 0.1 released
@ 2011-02-04 13:26 Jiro SEKIBA
       [not found] ` <874o8kue08.wl%jir-27yqGEOhnJbQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org>
From: Jiro SEKIBA @ 2011-02-04 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-nilfs-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

Hi!

I'm pleased to announce the release of "TimeBrowse".
http://timebrowse.sourceforge.net/

TimeBrowse is a set of programs that enable Windows VSS like
view in Nautilus PropertyPage against NILFS snapshots.

There are two parts of programs in TimeBrowse, one is Nautilus Extension
to browse history of specific file in NILFS volume and snapshots.
The other is a daemon process which watches NILFS volumes.

The extension scans mtab and find active NILFS volume and snapshot mounts.
If the file is in the active NILFS volume, it tries to find the snapshot
mounts of the volume.  If there are snapshot mounts, find the specified
file and list the history of the file based on different modified time.

The daemon scans checkpoints at interval of short period.
When new checkpoints are created, it turns checkpoints to snapshots
and mounts the snapshots to specified directory automatically.

I'm thinking to make them communicate via dbus in future, like for removing
snapshots from property view.  However those programs are completely
independent from others so far, so you can use either one of them.

This is still pre-alpha version.
It won't hurt your system but also may not so useful yet.

Any kind of feedbacks are welcome!

enjoy!
--
Jiro SEKIBA <jir-hfpbi5WX9J54Eiagz67IpQ@public.gmane.org>

* Re: ANNOUNCE: TimeBrowse 0.1 released
       [not found] ` <874o8kue08.wl%jir-27yqGEOhnJbQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org>
@ 2011-02-04 16:48   ` Ryusuke Konishi
       [not found]     ` <AANLkTinVaRJn4gfj8HousZ3eUhOee3C-U51nMAs6ZLUA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Ryusuke Konishi @ 2011-02-04 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jiro SEKIBA; +Cc: linux-nilfs

Hi,

2011/2/4 Jiro SEKIBA <jir-hfpbi5WX9J54Eiagz67IpQ@public.gmane.org>:
> Hi!
>
> I'm pleased to announce the release of "TimeBrowse".
> http://timebrowse.sourceforge.net/
>
> TimeBrowse is a set of programs that enable Windows VSS like
> view in Nautilus PropertyPage against NILFS snapshots.
>
> There are two parts of programs in TimeBrowse, one is Nautilus Extension
> to browse history of specific file in NILFS volume and snapshots.
> The other is a daemon process which watches NILFS volumes.
>
> The extension scans mtab and find active NILFS volume and snapshot mounts.
> If the file is in the active NILFS volume, it tries to find the snapshot
> mounts of the volume.  If there are snapshot mounts, find the specified
> file and list the history of the file based on different modified time.
>
> The daemon scans checkpoints at interval of short period.
> When new checkpoints are created, it turns checkpoints to snapshots
> and mounts the snapshots to specified directory automatically.
>
> I'm thinking to make them communicate via dbus in future, like for removing
> snapshots from property view.  However those programs are completely
> independent from others so far, so you can use either one of them.
>
> This is still pre-alpha version.
> It won't hurt your system but also may not so useful yet.
>
> Any kind of feedbacks are welcome!
>
> enjoy!
> --
> Jiro SEKIBA <jir-hfpbi5WX9J54Eiagz67IpQ@public.gmane.org>

Great!

This sounds like giving what the current our project is lacking.

The followings are comments that I noticed for the moment:

- There is a name mismatch between nilfs2_ss.conf and nilfs_ss.conf;
  nilfs2_ss_manager wanted nilfs_ss.conf as its default configuration file,
  but nilfs2_ss.conf is provided in the package.

  I personally think "nilfs" is preferable to "nilfs2" whenever it actually
  doesn't depend on the filesystem version such as mount or disk utilities.

- The following error happened when I ran the snapshot manager.
  My python version is 2.7.1+ and yaml version is 3.09

 $ sudo ./nilfs2_ss_manager

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./nilfs2_ss_manager", line 141, in <module>
    conf = yaml.safe_load(open(conffile))
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/yaml/__init__.py", line 75,
in safe_load
    return load(stream, SafeLoader)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/yaml/__init__.py", line 58, in load
    return loader.get_single_data()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/yaml/constructor.py", line
42, in get_single_data
    node = self.get_single_node()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/yaml/composer.py", line 39,
in get_single_node
    if not self.check_event(StreamEndEvent):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/yaml/parser.py", line 93, in
check_event
    self.current_event = self.state()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/yaml/parser.py", line 169, in
parse_document_start
    self.peek_token().start_mark)
yaml.parser.ParserError: expected '<document start>', but found
'<block mapping start>'
  in "/etc/nilfs_ss.conf", line 14, column 1

- I cloned the following git tree instead of downloading the tar ball.

  git://timebrowse.git.sourceforge.net/gitroot/timebrowse/timebrowse

  It works fine, but looks git tag is missing.  It's helpful to mark
  the commit on which you made a release.

  $ git tag -a v0.1

Cheers,
Ryusuke Konishi

@ 2011-02-05  6:58       ` Ryusuke Konishi
From: Ryusuke Konishi @ 2011-02-05  6:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jir-hfpbi5WX9J54Eiagz67IpQ; +Cc: linux-nilfs-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

On Sat, 5 Feb 2011 01:48:43 +0900, Ryusuke Konishi wrote:
> - The following error happened when I ran the snapshot manager.
>   My python version is 2.7.1+ and yaml version is 3.09
>
>  $ sudo ./nilfs2_ss_manager
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "./nilfs2_ss_manager", line 141, in <module>
>     conf = yaml.safe_load(open(conffile))
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/yaml/__init__.py", line 75,
> in safe_load
>     return load(stream, SafeLoader)
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/yaml/__init__.py", line 58, in load
>     return loader.get_single_data()
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/yaml/constructor.py", line
> 42, in get_single_data
>     node = self.get_single_node()
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/yaml/composer.py", line 39,
> in get_single_node
>     if not self.check_event(StreamEndEvent):
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/yaml/parser.py", line 93, in
> check_event
>     self.current_event = self.state()
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/yaml/parser.py", line 169, in
> parse_document_start
>     self.peek_token().start_mark)
> yaml.parser.ParserError: expected '<document start>', but found
> '<block mapping start>'
>   in "/etc/nilfs_ss.conf", line 14, column 1

This turned out to be my mistake.

I forgot to comment out the "devices:" line in /etc/nilfs_ss.conf as
below.  Sorry.

 #devices:
    /dev/sda8 : /nilfs

Regards,
Ryusuke Konishi

@ 2011-02-05  7:11       ` Jiro SEKIBA
From: Jiro SEKIBA @ 2011-02-05  7:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ryusuke Konishi; +Cc: linux-nilfs

Hi,

Thank you for your prompt feedback!

At Sat, 5 Feb 2011 01:48:43 +0900,
Ryusuke Konishi wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 2011/2/4 Jiro SEKIBA <jir-hfpbi5WX9J54Eiagz67IpQ@public.gmane.org>:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I'm pleased to announce the release of "TimeBrowse".
> > http://timebrowse.sourceforge.net/
> >
> > TimeBrowse is a set of programs that enable Windows VSS like
> > view in Nautilus PropertyPage against NILFS snapshots.
> >
> > There are two parts of programs in TimeBrowse, one is Nautilus Extension
> > to browse history of specific file in NILFS volume and snapshots.
> > The other is a daemon process which watches NILFS volumes.
> >
> > The extension scans mtab and find active NILFS volume and snapshot mounts.
> > If the file is in the active NILFS volume, it tries to find the snapshot
> > mounts of the volume.  If there are snapshot mounts, find the specified
> > file and list the history of the file based on different modified time.
> >
> > The daemon scans checkpoints at interval of short period.
> > When new checkpoints are created, it turns checkpoints to snapshots
> > and mounts the snapshots to specified directory automatically.
> >
> > I'm thinking to make them communicate via dbus in future, like for removing
> > snapshots from property view.  However those programs are completely
> > independent from others so far, so you can use either one of them.
> >
> > This is still pre-alpha version.
> > It won't hurt your system but also may not so useful yet.
> >
> > Any kind of feedbacks are welcome!
> >
> > enjoy!
> > --
> > Jiro SEKIBA <jir-hfpbi5WX9J54Eiagz67IpQ@public.gmane.org>
>
> Great!
>
> This sounds like giving what the current our project is lacking.
>
> The followings are comments that I noticed for the moment:
>
> - There is a name mismatch between nilfs2_ss.conf and nilfs_ss.conf;
>   nilfs2_ss_manager wanted nilfs_ss.conf as its default configuration file,
>   but nilfs2_ss.conf is provided in the package.
>
>   I personally think "nilfs" is preferable to "nilfs2" whenever it actually
>   doesn't depend on the filesystem version such as mount or disk utilities.

ahah, you are right.
I'll change the default config filename as it should be.

With regard to the nilfs2 vs nilfs convention, I built up the daemon
script based on nilfs2-utils, so I thought it would be OK.
I'm still thinking which is better though.  Thanks anyway!

regards

> - The following error happened when I ran the snapshot manager.
>   My python version is 2.7.1+ and yaml version is 3.09
>
>  $ sudo ./nilfs2_ss_manager
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "./nilfs2_ss_manager", line 141, in <module>
>     conf = yaml.safe_load(open(conffile))
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/yaml/__init__.py", line 75,
> in safe_load
>     return load(stream, SafeLoader)
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/yaml/__init__.py", line 58, in load
>     return loader.get_single_data()
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/yaml/constructor.py", line
> 42, in get_single_data
>     node = self.get_single_node()
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/yaml/composer.py", line 39,
> in get_single_node
>     if not self.check_event(StreamEndEvent):
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/yaml/parser.py", line 93, in
> check_event
>     self.current_event = self.state()
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/yaml/parser.py", line 169, in
> parse_document_start
>     self.peek_token().start_mark)
> yaml.parser.ParserError: expected '<document start>', but found
> '<block mapping start>'
>   in "/etc/nilfs_ss.conf", line 14, column 1
>
> - I cloned the following git tree instead of downloading the tar ball.
>
>   git://timebrowse.git.sourceforge.net/gitroot/timebrowse/timebrowse
>
>   It works fine, but looks git tag is missing.  It's helpful to mark
>   the commit on which you made a release.
>
>   $ git tag -a v0.1

Thanks for the advise.
I did the "git tag v0.1" but redo with "-a".