* device tree verification tools
@ 2016-07-26 20:43 Julia Lawall
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Julia Lawall @ 2016-07-26 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mporter-OWPKS81ov/FWk0Htik3J/w,
	behanw-k/hB3zQhLwledRVtV/plodBPR1lH4CV8,
	robh+dt-DgEjT+Ai2ygdnm+yROfE0A,
	frowand.list-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w,
	david-xT8FGy+AXnRB3Ne2BGzF6laj5H9X9Tb+,
	pantelis.antoniou-OWPKS81ov/FWk0Htik3J/w
  Cc: devicetree-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA,
	devicetree-spec-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

I saw that there will be a microconference on device trees at Linux
Plumbers.  Unfortunately, I won't be able to attend, due to another event
at the same time, but I was wondering what is the status of verification
tools for device tree specifications?

thanks,
julia

* Re: device tree verification tools
@ 2016-08-03 19:49 ` Frank Rowand
From: Frank Rowand @ 2016-08-03 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julia Lawall, mporter-OWPKS81ov/FWk0Htik3J/w,
  Cc: devicetree-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA,

On 07/26/16 13:43, Julia Lawall wrote:
> I saw that there will be a microconference on device trees at Linux
> Plumbers.  Unfortunately, I won't be able to attend, due to another event
> at the same time, but I was wondering what is the status of verification
> tools for device tree specifications?
>
> thanks,
> julia

Matt, Rob,

Is activity on this topic likely to resume later this year?

-Frank

* Re: device tree verification tools
@ 2016-08-03 23:42 ` Stewart Smith
       [not found]   ` <87vazh8ln8.fsf-23VcF4HTsmIX0ybBhKVfKdBPR1lH4CV8@public.gmane.org>
From: Stewart Smith @ 2016-08-03 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julia Lawall, mporter-OWPKS81ov/FWk0Htik3J/w,
  Cc: devicetree-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA,

Julia Lawall <julia.lawall-L2FTfq7BK8M@public.gmane.org> writes:
> I saw that there will be a microconference on device trees at Linux
> Plumbers.  Unfortunately, I won't be able to attend, due to another event
> at the same time, but I was wondering what is the status of verification
> tools for device tree specifications?

For a few checks that we want to do for OpenPower systems, we've been
adding tests to the FirmWare Test Suite (FWTS)
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FirmwareTestSuite - which does actually catch a
case where we messed it up and have something that's technically invalid
(i.e. we could have used this a couple of years ago when the mistake was
initially made).

--
Stewart Smith
OPAL Architect, IBM.

@ 2016-08-04  5:18     ` Julia Lawall
From: Julia Lawall @ 2016-08-04  5:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stewart Smith
  Cc: Julia Lawall, mporter-OWPKS81ov/FWk0Htik3J/w,
	behanw-k/hB3zQhLwledRVtV/plodBPR1lH4CV8,
	robh+dt-DgEjT+Ai2ygdnm+yROfE0A,
	frowand.list-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w,
	david-xT8FGy+AXnRB3Ne2BGzF6laj5H9X9Tb+,
	pantelis.antoniou-OWPKS81ov/FWk0Htik3J/w,
	devicetree-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA,

On Thu, 4 Aug 2016, Stewart Smith wrote:

> Julia Lawall <julia.lawall-L2FTfq7BK8M@public.gmane.org> writes:
> > I saw that there will be a microconference on device trees at Linux
> > Plumbers.  Unfortunately, I won't be able to attend, due to another event
> > at the same time, but I was wondering what is the status of verification
> > tools for device tree specifications?
>
> For a few checks that we want to do for OpenPower systems, we've been
> adding tests to the FirmWare Test Suite (FWTS)
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FirmwareTestSuite - which does actually catch a
> case where we messed it up and have something that's technically invalid
> (i.e. we could have used this a couple of years ago when the mistake was
> initially made).

Thanks for the information.  Is it easy to see in there what tests are
done?

thanks,
julia

@ 2016-08-09  3:34         ` Stewart Smith
From: Stewart Smith @ 2016-08-09  3:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Julia Lawall, mporter-OWPKS81ov/FWk0Htik3J/w,
	behanw-k/hB3zQhLwledRVtV/plodBPR1lH4CV8,
	robh+dt-DgEjT+Ai2ygdnm+yROfE0A,
	frowand.list-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w,
	david-xT8FGy+AXnRB3Ne2BGzF6laj5H9X9Tb+,
	pantelis.antoniou-OWPKS81ov/FWk0Htik3J/w,
	devicetree-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA,
	devicetree-spec-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

Julia Lawall <julia.lawall-L2FTfq7BK8M@public.gmane.org> writes:
> On Thu, 4 Aug 2016, Stewart Smith wrote:
>
>> Julia Lawall <julia.lawall-L2FTfq7BK8M@public.gmane.org> writes:
>> > I saw that there will be a microconference on device trees at Linux
>> > Plumbers.  Unfortunately, I won't be able to attend, due to another event
>> > at the same time, but I was wondering what is the status of verification
>> > tools for device tree specifications?
>>
>> For a few checks that we want to do for OpenPower systems, we've been
>> adding tests to the FirmWare Test Suite (FWTS)
>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FirmwareTestSuite - which does actually catch a
>> case where we messed it up and have something that's technically invalid
>> (i.e. we could have used this a couple of years ago when the mistake was
>> initially made).
>
> Thanks for the information.  Is it easy to see in there what tests are
> done?

You can have a look at the FWTS source, there's some specific DT tests
there (we have one to ensure that when somebody creates a new machine,
they change the model name in the device tree from the reference
platform model name). Since FWTS uses the same device tree code as
everywhere, it's not too hard to follow, and the test report from FWTS
is pretty clear (and you can tell it to just run some tests).

--
Stewart Smith
OPAL Architect, IBM.

From: Stewart Smith @ 2016-08-09  3:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julia Lawall
  Cc: Julia Lawall, mporter-OWPKS81ov/FWk0Htik3J/w,

@ 2016-11-04 20:03 ` Frank Rowand
       [not found]   ` <581CE982.60605-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: Frank Rowand @ 2016-11-04 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julia Lawall, mporter-OWPKS81ov/FWk0Htik3J/w,
	behanw-k/hB3zQhLwledRVtV/plodBPR1lH4CV8,
	robh+dt-DgEjT+Ai2ygdnm+yROfE0A,
	david-xT8FGy+AXnRB3Ne2BGzF6laj5H9X9Tb+,
	pantelis.antoniou-OWPKS81ov/FWk0Htik3J/w
  Cc: devicetree-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA,
	devicetree-spec-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA, Grant Likely

On 07/26/16 13:43, Julia Lawall wrote:
> I saw that there will be a microconference on device trees at Linux
> Plumbers.  Unfortunately, I won't be able to attend, due to another event
> at the same time, but I was wondering what is the status of verification
> tools for device tree specifications?
>
> thanks,
> julia

Hi Julia,

Grant Likely is breathing new life into the verification effort.

-Frank

@ 2016-11-04 20:07     ` Grant Likely
       [not found]       ` <CACxGe6vFmHRtE+=rJnsWrm7BGqqXBXq8FJq_T0r5deGP5pnCYw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Grant Likely @ 2016-11-04 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frank Rowand
  Cc: Julia Lawall, Matt Porter, Behan Webster, Rob Herring,
	David Gibson, Pantelis Antoniou,

On Fri, Nov 4, 2016 at 2:03 PM, Frank Rowand <frowand.list-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On 07/26/16 13:43, Julia Lawall wrote:
>> I saw that there will be a microconference on device trees at Linux
>> Plumbers.  Unfortunately, I won't be able to attend, due to another event
>> at the same time, but I was wondering what is the status of verification
>> tools for device tree specifications?
>>
>> thanks,
>> julia
>>

> Hi Julia,
>
> Grant Likely is breathing new life into the verification effort.

Hey Julia,

The status is: there are no verification tools for dt.  :-)

I'm /hoping/ to fix that. I've started experimenting with a grammar
for DT schema and writing a schema validation tool, but this isn't my
domain of expertise. I could certainly use your insight. You can see
some of what I've been playing with in this git tree:

https://github.com/glikely/dtgendoc

It is little more than prototype code, and nothing has been formalized
yet. I'm open to taking other approaches.

Cheers,
g.

@ 2016-11-04 21:08         ` Julia Lawall
From: Julia Lawall @ 2016-11-04 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grant Likely
  Cc: Frank Rowand, Matt Porter, Behan Webster, Rob Herring,

On Fri, 4 Nov 2016, Grant Likely wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 4, 2016 at 2:03 PM, Frank Rowand <frowand.list-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > On 07/26/16 13:43, Julia Lawall wrote:
> >> I saw that there will be a microconference on device trees at Linux
> >> Plumbers.  Unfortunately, I won't be able to attend, due to another event
> >> at the same time, but I was wondering what is the status of verification
> >> tools for device tree specifications?
> >>
> >> thanks,
> >> julia
> >>

> > Hi Julia,
> >
> > Grant Likely is breathing new life into the verification effort.
>
> Hey Julia,
>
> The status is: there are no verification tools for dt.  :-)
>
> I'm /hoping/ to fix that. I've started experimenting with a grammar
> for DT schema and writing a schema validation tool, but this isn't my
> domain of expertise. I could certainly use your insight. You can see
> some of what I've been playing with in this git tree:
>
> https://github.com/glikely/dtgendoc
>
> It is little more than prototype code, and nothing has been formalized
> yet. I'm open to taking other approaches.

Thanks for the pointer.  I haven't had a chance to look into it, but I
hope to get to it soon.

julia