* nftables and traffic control utility to QoS
@ 2020-04-27  9:04 d.gubin
From: d.gubin @ 2020-04-27  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter

Dear Sirs!

I need to setup QoS on Debian GNU/Linux.
I am going to use nftables to modify DSCP field in IPv4 Header and tc to
shape traffic.

Where is packets come in first: in nftables or tc (iproute2) ?

Thanks a lot for yours answers!

--
Best Regards
www.mashtab.org

* Re: nftables and traffic control utility to QoS
@ 2020-04-30  3:45 ` Trent W. Buck
From: Trent W. Buck @ 2020-04-30  3:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter

"d.gubin" <d.gubin@mashtab.org> writes:

> I need to setup QoS on Debian GNU/Linux.
> I am going to use nftables to modify DSCP field in IPv4 Header and tc
> to shape traffic.
>
> Where is packets come in first: in nftables or tc (iproute2) ?

I think this depends on the chain type/hook/priority.
Also, are you talking about egress QoS, or ingress QoS?

If you are completely new to QoS, for egress QoS, try tc-fq_codel
before you resort to hand-tuning DSCP/TOS bits for tc-pfifo_fast.

fq_codel is the default on some systems due to:

    https://github.com/systemd/systemd/blob/master/sysctl.d/50-default.conf

If you want an easy test of just the tc qdisc part, OpenSSH sets DSCP bits by default:

    ssh example.com         # defaults to -o IPQoS=lowdelay

    ssh example.com whoami  # defaults to -o IPQoS=throughput
    sftp example.com        # likewise
    rsync example.com:      # likewise