* WD20EARS: finally reporting 4KByte sector size!
@ 2011-05-16  3:54 Mark Lord
From: Mark Lord @ 2011-05-16  3:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: IDE/ATA development list

I picked up my third WD 2TB "Green" drive today,
and lo and behold.. the firmware (51.0AB51) actually
reports the real physical sector size (finally!).

TA device, with non-removable media

        Model Number:       WDC WD20EARS-60MVWB0

        Serial Number:      WD-WCAZA4297731

        Firmware Revision:  51.0AB51

        Transport:          Serial, SATA 1.0a, SATA II Extensions, SATA Rev 2.5,
SATA Rev 2.6
Standards:

        Supported: 8 7 6 5

        Likely used: 8

Configuration:

        Logical         max     current

        cylinders       16383   16383

        heads           16      16

        sectors/track   63      63

        --

        CHS current addressable sectors:   16514064
        LBA    user addressable sectors:  268435455
        LBA48  user addressable sectors: 3907029168
        Logical  Sector size:                   512 bytes
        Physical Sector size:                  4096 bytes
        Logical Sector-0 offset:                  0 bytes
        device size with M = 1024*1024:     1907729 MBytes
        device size with M = 1000*1000:     2000398 MBytes (2000 GB)
        cache/buffer size  = unknown
        Form Factor: 3.5 inch
Capabilities:
        LBA, IORDY(can be disabled)
        Standby timer values: spec'd by Standard, with device specific minimum
        R/W multiple sector transfer: Max = 16  Current = 0
        DMA: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2 udma0 udma1 udma2 udma3 udma4 *udma5
             Cycle time: min=120ns recommended=120ns
        PIO: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
             Cycle time: no flow control=120ns  IORDY flow control=120ns
Commands/features:
        Enabled Supported:
           *    SMART feature set
                Security Mode feature set
           *    Power Management feature set
           *    Write cache
           *    Look-ahead
           *    WRITE_BUFFER command
           *    READ_BUFFER command
           *    NOP cmd
           *    DOWNLOAD_MICROCODE
           *    48-bit Address feature set
           *    Device Configuration Overlay feature set
           *    Mandatory FLUSH_CACHE
           *    FLUSH_CACHE_EXT
           *    SMART error logging
           *    SMART self-test
           *    General Purpose Logging feature set
           *    64-bit World wide name
           *    WRITE_UNCORRECTABLE_EXT command
           *    {READ,WRITE}_DMA_EXT_GPL commands
           *    Segmented DOWNLOAD_MICROCODE
           *    Gen1 signaling speed (1.5Gb/s)
           *    Gen2 signaling speed (3.0Gb/s)
           *    SMART Command Transport (SCT) feature set
           *    SCT LBA Segment Access (AC2)
           *    SCT Error Recovery Control (AC3)
           *    SCT Features Control (AC4)
           *    SCT Data Tables (AC5)
                unknown 206[12] (vendor specific)
                unknown 206[13] (vendor specific)
Security:
        Master password revision code = 65534
                supported
        not     enabled
        not     locked
        not     frozen
        not     expired: security count
                supported: enhanced erase
        384min for SECURITY ERASE UNIT. 384min for ENHANCED SECURITY ERASE UNIT.
Logical Unit WWN Device Identifier: 50014ee2b031c1d4
        NAA             : 5
        IEEE OUI        : 0014ee
        Unique ID       : 2b031c1d4
Integrity word not set (found 0x0000, expected 0x73a5)

* Re: WD20EARS: finally reporting 4KByte sector size!
@ 2011-05-16 18:27 ` Bjørn Mork
From: Bjørn Mork @ 2011-05-16 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-ide

Mark Lord <kernel@teksavvy.com> writes:

> I picked up my third WD 2TB "Green" drive today,
> and lo and behold.. the firmware (51.0AB51) actually
> reports the real physical sector size (finally!).
>
> TA device, with non-removable media
>
>         Model Number:       WDC WD20EARS-60MVWB0
>
>         Serial Number:      WD-WCAZA4297731
>
>         Firmware Revision:  51.0AB51

It's not the firmware revision.  The '6' in the model number seems to
make the difference.

I've got two drives with exactly the same firmware revision, but with a
WD20EARS-00MVWB0 model mumber and lower serial number (it's still the 3
platter version), and they both report 512 bytes:

/dev/sdi:

ATA device, with non-removable media
        Model Number:       WDC WD20EARS-00MVWB0
        Serial Number:      WD-WCAZA3180082
        Firmware Revision:  51.0AB51
        Transport:          Serial, SATA 1.0a, SATA II Extensions, SATA Rev 2.5, SATA Rev 2.6
Standards:
        Supported: 8 7 6 5
        Likely used: 8
Configuration:
        Logical         max     current
        cylinders       16383   16383
        heads           16      16
        sectors/track   63      63
        --
        CHS current addressable sectors:   16514064
        LBA    user addressable sectors:  268435455
        LBA48  user addressable sectors: 3907029168
        Logical/Physical Sector size:           512 bytes
        device size with M = 1024*1024:     1907729 MBytes
        device size with M = 1000*1000:     2000398 MBytes (2000 GB)
        cache/buffer size  = unknown
Capabilities:
        LBA, IORDY(can be disabled)
        Queue depth: 32
        Standby timer values: spec'd by Standard, with device specific minimum
        R/W multiple sector transfer: Max = 16  Current = 0
        Recommended acoustic management value: 128, current value: 254
        DMA: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2 udma0 udma1 udma2 udma3 udma4 udma5 *udma6
             Cycle time: min=120ns recommended=120ns
        PIO: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
             Cycle time: no flow control=120ns  IORDY flow control=120ns
Commands/features:
        Enabled Supported:
           *    SMART feature set
                Security Mode feature set
           *    Power Management feature set
           *    Write cache
           *    Look-ahead
           *    Host Protected Area feature set
           *    WRITE_BUFFER command
           *    READ_BUFFER command
           *    NOP cmd
           *    DOWNLOAD_MICROCODE
                Power-Up In Standby feature set
           *    SET_FEATURES required to spinup after power up
                SET_MAX security extension
                Automatic Acoustic Management feature set
           *    48-bit Address feature set
           *    Device Configuration Overlay feature set
           *    Mandatory FLUSH_CACHE
           *    FLUSH_CACHE_EXT
           *    SMART error logging
           *    SMART self-test
           *    General Purpose Logging feature set
           *    64-bit World wide name
           *    WRITE_UNCORRECTABLE_EXT command
           *    {READ,WRITE}_DMA_EXT_GPL commands
           *    Segmented DOWNLOAD_MICROCODE
           *    Gen1 signaling speed (1.5Gb/s)
           *    Gen2 signaling speed (3.0Gb/s)
           *    Native Command Queueing (NCQ)
           *    Host-initiated interface power management
           *    Phy event counters
           *    NCQ priority information
                DMA Setup Auto-Activate optimization
           *    Software settings preservation
           *    SMART Command Transport (SCT) feature set
           *    SCT LBA Segment Access (AC2)
           *    SCT Features Control (AC4)
           *    SCT Data Tables (AC5)
                unknown 206[12] (vendor specific)
                unknown 206[13] (vendor specific)
Security:
        Master password revision code = 65534
                supported
        not     enabled
        not     locked
        not     frozen
        not     expired: security count
                supported: enhanced erase
        392min for SECURITY ERASE UNIT. 392min for ENHANCED SECURITY ERASE UNIT.
Logical Unit WWN Device Identifier: 50014ee2055f5ff4
        NAA             : 5
        IEEE OUI        : 0014ee
        Unique ID       : 2055f5ff4
Checksum: correct

/dev/sdj:

ATA device, with non-removable media
        Model Number:       WDC WD20EARS-00MVWB0
        Serial Number:      WD-WCAZA3178640
[...]
        402min for SECURITY ERASE UNIT. 402min for ENHANCED SECURITY ERASE UNIT.
Logical Unit WWN Device Identifier: 50014ee2055f7f54
        NAA             : 5
        IEEE OUI        : 0014ee
        Unique ID       : 2055f7f54
Checksum: correct

Bjørn

* Re: WD20EARS: finally reporting 4KByte sector size!
@ 2011-05-18 19:13   ` Mark Lord
From: Mark Lord @ 2011-05-18 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bjørn Mork; +Cc: linux-ide

On 11-05-16 02:27 PM, Bjørn Mork wrote:
> Mark Lord <kernel@teksavvy.com> writes:
>
>> I picked up my third WD 2TB "Green" drive today,
>> and lo and behold.. the firmware (51.0AB51) actually
>> reports the real physical sector size (finally!).
>>
>> TA device, with non-removable media
>>
>>         Model Number:       WDC WD20EARS-60MVWB0
>>
>>         Serial Number:      WD-WCAZA4297731
>>
>>         Firmware Revision:  51.0AB51
>
> It's not the firmware revision.  The '6' in the model number seems to
> make the difference.
>
> I've got two drives with exactly the same firmware revision, but with a
> WD20EARS-00MVWB0 model mumber and lower serial number (it's still the 3
> platter version), and they both report 512 bytes:

Same here.  I have two drives which report the same "firmware revision",
but one has the -6 in the model number and the other doesn't.
The one with the -6 reports 4096B sectors, the other does not.

I think WD is simply using the wrong field for firmware revisions,
as there are other apparent firmware differences between my two drives,
despite them having the same "firmware revision" numbers.

Gotta love WD.

Cheers

* Re: WD20EARS: finally reporting 4KByte sector size!
@ 2011-05-18 22:43 ` Stan Hoeppner
From: Stan Hoeppner @ 2011-05-18 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Lord; +Cc: IDE/ATA development list

On 5/15/2011 10:54 PM, Mark Lord wrote:
> I picked up my third WD 2TB "Green" drive today,
> and lo and behold.. the firmware (51.0AB51) actually
> reports the real physical sector size (finally!).

>         Logical  Sector size:                   512 bytes
>         Physical Sector size:                  4096 bytes

What is the positive significance of this change?  What does this
materially change for the better?

--
Stan

* Re: WD20EARS: finally reporting 4KByte sector size!
@ 2011-05-18 23:19   ` Mark Lord
From: Mark Lord @ 2011-05-18 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stan Hoeppner; +Cc: IDE/ATA development list

On 11-05-18 06:43 PM, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> On 5/15/2011 10:54 PM, Mark Lord wrote:
>> I picked up my third WD 2TB "Green" drive today,
>> and lo and behold.. the firmware (51.0AB51) actually
>> reports the real physical sector size (finally!).
>
>>         Logical  Sector size:                   512 bytes
>>         Physical Sector size:                  4096 bytes
>
> What is the positive significance of this change?  What does this
> materially change for the better?

Filesystems in the kernel can auto-align themselves for performance,
and I noticed that "fdisk" saw the 4KB sector size and adjusted itself
to put sector-1 at offset 64 instead of offset 63, saving me the trouble.

-ml