* No subject
@ 2014-08-29 14:22 Ravi Raj
From: Ravi Raj @ 2014-08-29 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hii Guys,
               I am an Embedded firmware Developer,I am looking for a
Development board to port the linux kernal from scratch, could you guys
please recommend me a good development board were i can port linux from
scratch.

Cheers,
Ravi.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* (no subject)
@ 2014-08-29 14:47 ` Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
From: Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu @ 2014-08-29 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Fri, 29 Aug 2014 16:22:03 +0200, Ravi Raj said:

>                I am an Embedded firmware Developer,I am looking for a
> Development board to port the linux kernal from scratch, could you guys
> please recommend me a good development board were i can port linux from
> scratch.

Why are you trying that, instead of using a board that's already been brought
up for you?  Knowing that, and what you plan to use the board for, will help
in our recommendations (for instance, if the project requires gigabit ethernet,
it's useless for us to suggest a board that only has a 100Mbit chipset on it).
@ 2014-08-29 14:58   ` Ravi Raj
From: Ravi Raj @ 2014-08-29 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hii Valdis,
                  Thank you for the response ,So the project is a
communication between fpga and a imx6 Arm A9 processor using SPI protocol
and we are making a custom board for this, so first step is to find an imx6
Arm a9 board and port linux to it and then establish SPI.

Cheers,
Ravi.

@ 2014-08-29 15:32     ` Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
From: Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu @ 2014-08-29 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Fri, 29 Aug 2014 16:58:26 +0200, Ravi Raj said:
> so first step is to find an imx6 Arm a9 board and port linux to it

Why not get an imx6 board that already *HAS* Linux for it?

Heck, Freescale will even give you a one day CLASS on it:

http://cache.freescale.com/files/training/doc/dwf/DWF_LINUX_LABWORKBOOK.pdf

(Did you bother trying to google 'imx6 arm a9 linux'? Lots of hits, lots
of providers. ;)
On Fri, 29 Aug 2014 16:58:26 +0200, Ravi Raj said:
>                   Thank you for the response ,So the project is a
> communication between fpga and a imx6 Arm A9 processor using SPI protocol
> and we are making a custom board for this, so first step is to find an imx6
> Arm a9 board and port linux to it and then establish SPI.

Heck, these guys already have ANdroid Kitkat up and running:

http://www.wandboard.org/

@ 2014-08-29 15:53       ` Ravi Raj
From: Ravi Raj @ 2014-08-29 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hii Valdis,
                  Thank you for the response.We dont want to buy a board
with pre-configured linux, that is the first point why i asked you guys for
help, i googled too, i also got hundreds of boards with lot of board
support packages,every board support package varies from the development
board, so just as simple as it "i just want a recommendation from you guys
a good development board where i can port linux from scratch!!"

Cheers,
Ravi.

On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 5:34 PM, <Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu> wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Aug 2014 16:58:26 +0200, Ravi Raj said:
> >                   Thank you for the response ,So the project is a
> > communication between fpga and a imx6 Arm A9 processor using SPI protocol
> > and we are making a custom board for this, so first step is to find an
> imx6
> > Arm a9 board and port linux to it and then establish SPI.
>
> Heck, these guys already have ANdroid Kitkat up and running:
>
> http://www.wandboard.org/

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* none
@ 2014-08-29 15:53       ` Bjørn Mork
From: Bjørn Mork @ 2014-08-29 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu writes:
> On Fri, 29 Aug 2014 16:58:26 +0200, Ravi Raj said:
>> so first step is to find an imx6 Arm a9 board and port linux to it
>
> Why not get an imx6 board that already *HAS* Linux for it?

Where do you get one which *hasn't*?

Bj?rn