* Installing Application Development SDK hangs when using "screen"
@ 2014-08-07 13:59 Pierre Yves MORDRET
From: Pierre Yves MORDRET @ 2014-08-07 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Hi there,

I have a tricky issue to sort out. I'm using a build server(Ubuntu 12.04 LTS) for building my Yocto project and Application Dev SDK (bitbake -c populate_sdk).
On this build server I 'm used to using "screen" tool. Using "screen" and bitbake at the same time seems to have no issues.

However when installing the App. Dev. SDK via self-installer, it hangs every time after a while. The culprit seems to be "screen".
If I am IN a "screen" session OR I am OUT "screen" session but there is a running screen session that belongs to me, it hangs.

Did someone experience such trouble ? Any ideas ?

Thanks in advance
Pierre-Yves

* Re: Installing Application Development SDK hangs when using "screen"
@ 2014-08-07 16:18 ` Mark Hatle
From: Mark Hatle @ 2014-08-07 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

On 8/7/14, 8:59 AM, Pierre Yves MORDRET wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I have a tricky issue to sort out. I'm using a build server(Ubuntu 12.04 LTS) for building my Yocto project and Application Dev SDK (bitbake -c populate_sdk).
> On this build server I 'm used to using "screen" tool. Using "screen" and bitbake at the same time seems to have no issues.
>
> However when installing the App. Dev. SDK via self-installer, it hangs every time after a while. The culprit seems to be "screen".
> If I am IN a "screen" session OR I am OUT "screen" session but there is a running screen session that belongs to me, it hangs.
>
> Did someone experience such trouble ? Any ideas ?

I've seen some terminal failures in the past, but it's always been due to
overwriting in-place terminal files.

I've not seen anything on a new SDK installation.

Which branch of the Yocto Project are you using?

--Mark

@ 2014-08-08 13:21   ` Pierre Yves MORDRET
From: Pierre Yves MORDRET @ 2014-08-08 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Hatle, yocto

Hi Mark,

This is on Daisy branch. On Dylan branch I didn't experience such trouble. It came up with Daisy.

Regards

@ 2014-08-08 14:09     ` Mark Hatle
From: Mark Hatle @ 2014-08-08 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Yves MORDRET, yocto

On 8/8/14, 8:21 AM, Pierre Yves MORDRET wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> This is on Daisy branch. On Dylan branch I didn't experience such trouble. It came up with Daisy.

(I haven't used Daisy very much... but...)

There was a bug in the master version of the SDK installer that was displaying
special characters to the screen in some instances.  It caused what appeared to
be a lockup on my screen for a while, but it was actually just taking a very
long time to complete the operation, then a 'return' would allow the prompt to
come back.

This was recently fixed by a commit from Richard
2d1660112e54653f7bb763939d0416472c49fe01

If you can, cherry-pick that commit from master into your Daisy branch and try
again.  If this works, we should get that submitted to Daisy.

--Mark

@ 2014-08-08 18:41       ` Pierre Yves MORDRET
From: Pierre Yves MORDRET @ 2014-08-08 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Hatle, yocto

You're right this has solved my issue !

I keep it as patch in my side and waiting it in daisy branch

Thanks !