* PVH mode PCI passthrough status
       [not found] <943136031.5051796.1609179068383.ref@mail.yahoo.com>
@ 2020-12-28 18:11 ` tosher 1
From: tosher 1 @ 2020-12-28 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xen-devel

Hi,

As of Xen 4.10, PCI passthrough support was not available in PVH mode. I was wondering if the PCI passthrough support was added in a later version.

It would be great to know the latest status of the PCI passthrough support for the Xen PVM mode. Please let me know if you have any updates on this.

 Thanks,
Mehrab

* Re: PVH mode PCI passthrough status
@ 2020-12-29  8:19   ` Roger Pau Monné
From: Roger Pau Monné @ 2020-12-29  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tosher 1; +Cc: Xen-devel

On Mon, Dec 28, 2020 at 06:11:08PM +0000, tosher 1 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As of Xen 4.10, PCI passthrough support was not available in PVH mode. I was wondering if the PCI passthrough support was added in a later version.
>
> It would be great to know the latest status of the PCI passthrough support for the Xen PVM mode. Please let me know if you have any updates on this.

I think you meant PVH mode in the sentence above instead of PVM?

Sadly status is still the same, there's no support for PVH and PCI
passthrough on domUs yet.

Arm folks are working on using vPCI for domUs, which could easily be
picked up by x86 once ready. There's also the option to import xenpt
[0] from Paul Durrant and use it with PVH, but it will likely require
some work.

Roger.

[0] http://xenbits.xen.org/gitweb/?p=people/pauldu/xenpt.git;a=summary

* Re: PVH mode PCI passthrough status
@ 2020-12-29 17:01     ` tosher 1
From: tosher 1 @ 2020-12-29 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roger Pau Monné; +Cc: Xen-devel

Hi Roger,

> I think you meant PVH mode in the sentence above instead of PVM?

Sorry, that was a typo. I meant PVH.

> Arm folks are working on using vPCI for domUs, which could easily be picked up by x86 once ready. There's also the option to import xenpt [0] from Paul Durrant and use it with PVH, but it will likely require some work.

Thanks for your response. Do you have any timeline in mind on when support for x86 will be available? A rough estimate would help me with planning something.

@ 2020-12-29 18:32       ` Roger Pau Monné
From: Roger Pau Monné @ 2020-12-29 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tosher 1; +Cc: Xen-devel, Oleksandr Andrushchenko, Paul Durrant

On Tue, Dec 29, 2020 at 05:01:50PM +0000, tosher 1 wrote:
> Hi Roger,
>
> > I think you meant PVH mode in the sentence above instead of PVM?
>
> Sorry, that was a typo. I meant PVH.
>
> > Arm folks are working on using vPCI for domUs, which could easily be picked up by x86 once ready. There's also the option to import xenpt [0] from Paul Durrant and use it with PVH, but it will likely require some work.
>
> Thanks for your response. Do you have any timeline in mind on when support for x86 will be available? A rough estimate would help me with planning something.

I'm adding the relevant people working on this, Oleksandr for the vPCI
Arm work and Paul for xenpt.

The xenpt stuff shouldn't be complicated (Paul can correct me), as it
would mostly involve importing xenpt into the xen.git repository and
then wiring it up for the toolstack to use it, at least to get an
initial version working.

Roger.

* Re: PVH mode PCI passthrough status
@ 2020-12-30  6:22         ` Oleksandr Andrushchenko
From: Oleksandr Andrushchenko @ 2020-12-30  6:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tosher 1; +Cc: Roger Pau Monné, Xen-devel, Paul Durrant

Hi, all

On 12/29/20 8:32 PM, Roger Pau Monné wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 29, 2020 at 05:01:50PM +0000, tosher 1 wrote:
>> Hi Roger,
>>
>>> I think you meant PVH mode in the sentence above instead of PVM?
>> Sorry, that was a typo. I meant PVH.
>>
>>> Arm folks are working on using vPCI for domUs, which could easily be picked up by x86 once ready. There's also the option to import xenpt [0] from Paul Durrant and use it with PVH, but it will likely require some work.
>> Thanks for your response. Do you have any timeline in mind on when support for x86 will be available? A rough estimate would help me with planning something.
> I'm adding the relevant people working on this, Oleksandr for the vPCI
> Arm work and Paul for xenpt.

This is indeed WIP and the thing is being developed by many parties: ARM, EPAM, Xilinx...

And unfortunately I cannot give you even a rough estimate when this is going to happen

as there are so many topics to cover for ARM yet. Of course, we try to make the code fit x86

as well, so we share the code between the architectures...

Thank you,

Oleksandr