* Remote station operation from a Netbook?
@ 2010-09-16 17:38 doc
From: doc @ 2010-09-16 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: FT-857, FT-857D, Linux Hams

Has anyone seen a Linux-based app that provides for
remote operation of a FT-857D via an Internet-connected
Netbook?

I have a Parrott bluetooth headset and adapter for
hands-free audio.

--

Thanks! & 73, doc, KD4E
"Communicators must defend free speech

* Re: Remote station operation from a Netbook?
@ 2010-09-16 19:16 ` David Ranch
From: David Ranch @ 2010-09-16 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: doc, Linux Hams

Sounds like Echolink would fit the bill here.  I'd check on those
mailing lists to see if anyone else has setup a FT-857 before.

--David

@ 2010-09-17  6:49 ` Dave Platt
From: Dave Platt @ 2010-09-17  6:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: doc; +Cc: FT-857, FT-857D, Linux Hams

On Sep 16, 2010, at 10:38 AM, "doc@kd4e.com" <doc@kd4e.com> wrote:

> Has anyone seen a Linux-based app that provides for
> remote operation of a FT-857D via an Internet-connected
> Netbook?
>
> I have a Parrott bluetooth headset and adapter for
> hands-free audio.

I haven't seen a single app which will handle both
the control and audio aspects.

You could probably combine two apps to do it,
though.  Using the hamlib libraries to provide the
control link to the radio, the Grig program as the
graphical front end (it can operate over a network via
RPC), and some sort of SIP-based soft phone to provide
the audio path, seems like a combination which could be made
to work.

* Re: Remote station operation from a Netbook?
@ 2010-09-17 13:35   ` doc
From: doc @ 2010-09-17 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Platt; +Cc: FT-857, FT-857D, Linux Hams

Could IRLP be used with GRIG to accomplish this?

Is GRIG still being developed and supported or has flrig taken
its place?

--

@ 2010-09-17 17:59     ` Dave Platt
From: Dave Platt @ 2010-09-17 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: doc; +Cc: FT-857, FT-857D, Linux Hams

doc@kd4e.com wrote:
> Could IRLP be used with GRIG to accomplish this?

I haven't used IRLP at all, but from what I see on their
main page, it looks to me as if that combination could work.
One would use an IRLP board hooked to the radio's audio and
PTT lines (probably through the auxiliary jack), and a
serial-port interface to the CAT jack being controlled by
GRIG or something similar.

> Is GRIG still being developed and supported or has flrig taken
> its place?

The last update to the GRIG page seems to have been in 2008.
I don't know whether it's under active development or support.

flrig does seem to be under active development... I can't
tell whether it's a formal successor to grig (i.e. derived
to some extent from the grig code) or whether it's a
complementary/competing release.