* [ath9k-devel] Througput 802.11g-like - configuration issue?
@ 2009-04-20 15:34 Fabian Hugelshofer
From: Fabian Hugelshofer @ 2009-04-20 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Hi all,

I am using ath9k with OpenWRT. I have two router boards with identical
wireless cards. The wireless card get recognised as:
phy0: Atheros AR9160 MAC/BB Rev:1 AR5133 RF Rev:b0

Both cards operate in ad-hoc mode on 2.4 or 5Ghz. The maximum TCP
goodput measured with Netperf was 15.5Mbps. With two 802.11g cards and
the Madwifi drivers I get almost 27Mbps. I wonder why the throughput is
not higher.

Do I have to enable MIMO or is it enabled by default? Detaching two of
the three antennas has no impact unless I detach the first antenna (in
which case no communication is possible at all).

On both nodes I set HT40 (iw dev wlan0 set channel 40 HT40-). This did
not increase the performance. I also tried hostapd
(ht_capab=[HT40-][SHORT-GI-40][RX-STBC123][TXSTBC]) without any
improvements.

Is this a configuration issue, related to the hardware I use or are the
ath9k drivers not as far developped yet? Has anyone achieved higher
trhoughput with ath9k?

I can provide further information if required. Here the software
versions I am using:
linux 2.6.28.9
iw 0.9.11
compat-wireless 2009-03-31

Cheers,

Fabian

* [ath9k-devel] Througput 802.11g-like - configuration issue?
@ 2009-04-20 20:03 ` simone pascucci
From: simone pascucci @ 2009-04-20 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Hi,

I would like also to add my voice to this request, as I'm experiencing
a similar situation.

I'm using a routerboard 433 board (Atheros AR7130 300MHz) and a
ubiquiti SR71A wireless card (AR9160).

In this last months I compiled and reinstalled Openwrt bleeding edge
many time on the router. Every time I have the very last version of
the kernel running.

On the client side I have a machine running debian, kernels 2.8.28 and
2.6.29. The card is a intel 4965AGN.

On the first tries, I couldn't connect to the router in N mode, both
under debian and windows XP, Vista. The only machine which could get
connected reporting (but not achieving) N speed was a mac book pro.
The mac book didn't change behaviour since that, w.r.t. both
throughtput and distance.

Only in the last reinstallation I could finally get connected under
debian and windows, simultaneusly. Under both version of the kernel I
can't reach more than 20 mbits. File transfer between clients does not
perform very good, in many cases it breaks the connection.

One good news is that the connection does not degrade also in the
remote angle of the house. I'm using 3 antennas of 5db of gain.

One important step was to add wme settings under hostapd.

I can't compile the very last version of compat-wireless under 2.6.29
due to the last nice news about kernel header structure change.

@ 2009-04-27 17:38 ` Luis R. Rodriguez
From: Luis R. Rodriguez @ 2009-04-27 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 08:34:08AM -0700, Fabian Hugelshofer wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am using ath9k with OpenWRT. I have two router boards with identical
> wireless cards. The wireless card get recognised as:
> phy0: Atheros AR9160 MAC/BB Rev:1 AR5133 RF Rev:b0
>
> Both cards operate in ad-hoc mode on 2.4 or 5Ghz.

To use 11n fully (MCS rates and aggregation) you will need hostapd
to use AP mode and a STA capable of using 11n. Ad-hoc mode does not
define how to implement 11n support and as such we don't support it
with mac80211. Right now in mac80211 we do allow you to set your
channel type to an HT mode if on adhoc or Mesh but perhaps we'll
disable this as its not supposed really supported.

  Luis

* [ath9k-devel] Througput 802.11g-like - configuration issue?
@ 2009-05-07 20:35   ` austinxxh-ath9k at yahoo.com
From: austinxxh-ath9k at yahoo.com @ 2009-05-07 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Luis,

from http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/ath9k it states IBSS mode is supported.

Are you saying ath9k/11n will not support mesh/IBSS anytime in the future? I'm a bit confused by the message below.

thanks!
xiao

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 08:34:08AM -0700, Fabian Hugelshofer wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am using ath9k with OpenWRT. I have two router boards with identical
> wireless cards. The wireless card get recognised as:
> phy0: Atheros AR9160 MAC/BB Rev:1 AR5133 RF Rev:b0
>
> Both cards operate in ad-hoc mode on 2.4 or 5Ghz.

To use 11n fully (MCS rates and aggregation) you will need hostapd
to use AP mode and a STA capable of using 11n. Ad-hoc mode does not
define how to implement 11n support and as such we don't support it
with mac80211. Right now in mac80211 we do allow you to set your
channel type to an HT mode if on adhoc or Mesh but perhaps we'll
disable this as its not supposed really supported.

  Luis
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [ath9k-devel] Througput 802.11g-like - configuration issue?
@ 2009-05-07 21:28     ` Luis R. Rodriguez
From: Luis R. Rodriguez @ 2009-05-07 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

On Thu, May 07, 2009 at 01:35:33PM -0700, austinxxh-ath9k at yahoo.com wrote:
> Luis,
>
> from http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/ath9k it states IBSS mode is supported.
>
> Are you saying ath9k/11n will not support mesh/IBSS anytime in the future? I'm a bit confused by the message below.

Let me try to put this into a few sets of logical components, might
be easier to understand:

  * ath9k supports Ad-hoc (since 2.6.27) and Mesh (since 2.6.31 IIRC)
  * To use 802.11n completely you need to support MCS rates and aggregation
  * There are two types of 802.11n aggregation: AMPDU, AMSDU
  * mac80211 only supports AMPDU aggregation, there is some support for AMDSU
    aggregation but for RX only and I am not sure if this was ever tested
  * 802.11 standards do not yet define how to support aggregation with ad-hoc
    or mesh
  * mac80211 does not support aggregation for Ad-hoc or Mesh, it just won't
    happen
  * You can probably use MCS rates with ath9k in both ad-hoc and in mesh mode
    but that's just by chance -- in the future we could decide just disable that.

For more details on 802.11n please see:

http://wireless.kernel.org/en/developers/Documentation/ieee80211/802.11n

  Luis

@ 2009-09-14 15:31       ` Peter Tarjan
From: Peter Tarjan @ 2009-09-14 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Hi,

On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 11:28 PM, Luis R. Rodriguez
<lrodriguez@atheros.com> wrote:
> Let me try to put this into a few sets of logical components, might
> be easier to understand:
> [...]
> ?* 802.11 standards do not yet define how to support aggregation with ad-hoc or mesh

Recently IEEE ratified 802.11n [1]. Does anyone know if this issue has
been solved by the standard?

Thanks for the answer in advance,
--
Peter Tarjan

[1] http://standards.ieee.org/announcements/ieee802.11n_2009amendment_ratified.html

* [ath9k-devel] Througput 802.11g-like - configuration issue?
@ 2009-09-14 16:05         ` Luis R. Rodriguez
From: Luis R. Rodriguez @ 2009-09-14 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 8:31 AM, Peter Tarjan
<peter.tarjan@birdtelecom.hu> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 11:28 PM, Luis R. Rodriguez
> <lrodriguez@atheros.com> wrote:
>> Let me try to put this into a few sets of logical components, might
>> be easier to understand:
>> [...]
>> ?* 802.11 standards do not yet define how to support aggregation with ad-hoc or mesh
>
> Recently IEEE ratified 802.11n [1]. Does anyone know if this issue has
> been solved by the standard?

Yes, it is, so work is just required to do what is required.

   Luis

* [ath9k-devel] Througput 802.11g-like - configuration issue?
@ 2009-09-14 21:26           ` xxiao
From: xxiao @ 2009-09-14 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Isn't mesh in a separate document(80211s)? IBSS is in 80211n spec though.
I have 80211n draft11, not sure if it's the same as the final version.

So far the 11n spec is not available to purchase:
http://standards.ieee.org/prod-serv/80211n.html

xxiao