* IMX8M Nano compatibility
@ 2021-07-28 13:47 Kristiansen, Morten (INT)
From: Kristiansen, Morten (INT) @ 2021-07-28 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xenomai

Hi Everybody.

I have a boot problem on IMX8M Nano.

NXP provide a ported kernel for their evaluation board based on Linux 5.4.70. (https://source.codeaurora.org/external/imx/linux-imx, branch imx_5.4.70_2.3.0)

I managed to modify apply the ipipe-core-5.4.72-arm64-0.patch to apply to kernel. It required a few modifications for irq-imx-gpcv2.c.

The following files files was removed during the NXP port:
drivers/gpu/ipu-v3/ipu-prv.h
drivers/gpu/ipu-v3/ipu-common.c

For reference, I’ve attached my revised patch.

The end result is the kernel mostly boots fine, but about 1 out of 5 it fails with the message below. Has anybody had any luck running Xenomai on the IMX8M series?

Any help is highly appreciated. 😊

/Morten Kristiansen

[   12.672926] irq 103: nobody cared (try booting with the "irqpoll" option)
[   12.680938] CPU: 0 PID: 0 Comm: swapper/0 Not tainted 5.4.70-2.3.2+g8c73bc625c4d #1
[   12.689246] Hardware name: NXP i.MX8MNano EVK board (DT)
[   12.695120] I-pipe domain: Linux
[   12.698889] Call trace:
[   12.702267]  dump_backtrace+0x0/0x140
[   12.706694]  show_stack+0x14/0x20
[   12.711023]  dump_stack+0xe4/0x12c
[   12.715277]  __report_bad_irq+0x48/0xd8
[   12.719873]  note_interrupt+0x2c4/0x37c
[   12.724448]  handle_irq_event_percpu+0x80/0x88
[   12.729604]  handle_irq_event+0x44/0xd0
[   12.734249]  handle_level_irq+0x90/0xe8
[   12.739058]  generic_handle_irq+0x24/0x38
[   12.743762]  __handle_domain_irq+0x60/0xb8
[   12.748789]  __ipipe_do_IRQ+0x28/0x30
[   12.753419]  __ipipe_do_sync_stage+0x198/0x1c8
[   12.758628]  ipipe_unstall_root+0x40/0x50
[   12.763370]  __do_softirq+0xa4/0x248
[   12.767896]  irq_exit+0xb8/0xd8
[   12.771730]  __handle_domain_irq+0x64/0xb8
[   12.776598]  __ipipe_do_IRQ+0x28/0x30
[   12.781055]  __ipipe_do_sync_stage+0x198/0x1c8
[   12.786295]  ipipe_unstall_root+0x40/0x50
[   12.791263]  cpuidle_enter_state+0xa4/0x330
[   12.796213]  cpuidle_enter+0x34/0x48
[   12.800673]  call_cpuidle+0x18/0x38
[   12.804939]  do_idle+0x1f0/0x288
[   12.808940]  cpu_startup_entry+0x20/0x50
[   12.813665]  rest_init+0xd4/0xe0
[   12.817842]  arch_call_rest_init+0xc/0x14
[   12.822659]  start_kernel+0x410/0x444
[   12.826855] handlers:
[   12.829882] [<00000000ab81b488>] irq_default_primary_handler threaded [<000000002543e636>] _tcpci_irq
[   12.840309] Disabling IRQ #103
[   24.092075] rcu: INFO: rcu_preempt detected stalls on CPUs/tasks:
[   24.098209] rcu:     0-...0: (5 ticks this GP) idle=b8e/0/0x3 softirq=80/80 fqs=2621
[   24.105801]  (detected by 2, t=5252 jiffies, g=-959, q=16)
[   24.111304] Task dump for CPU 0:
[   24.114554] swapper/0       R  running task        0     0      0 0x0000002a
[   24.121611] Call trace:
[   24.124099]  __switch_to+0x108/0x1c0
[   24.127695]  0x18

Teledyne Confidential; Commercially Sensitive Business Data
From: Chen, Hongzhan @ 2021-07-29  2:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kristiansen, Morten (INT), xenomai

Why it need recursive call here?

Regards

Hongzhan Chen

@ 2021-07-29  7:39 ` Jan Kiszka
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2021-07-29  7:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kristiansen, Morten (INT), xenomai

On 28.07.21 15:47, Kristiansen, Morten (INT) via Xenomai wrote:
> Hi Everybody.
>
> I have a boot problem on IMX8M Nano.
>
> NXP provide a ported kernel for their evaluation board based on Linux 5.4.70. (https://source.codeaurora.org/external/imx/linux-imx, branch imx_5.4.70_2.3.0)

You generally don't want to use this, you want an upstream version.

> I managed to modify apply the ipipe-core-5.4.72-arm64-0.patch to apply to kernel. It required a few modifications for irq-imx-gpcv2.c.

See https://xenomai.org/pipermail/xenomai/2021-July/045793.html.

Jan

--
Siemens AG, T RDA IOT

* Re: IMX8M Nano compatibility
@ 2021-07-29  8:48   ` Peng Fan
From: Peng Fan @ 2021-07-29  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Kiszka; +Cc: Kristiansen, Morten (INT), xenomai

Jan Kiszka via Xenomai <xenomai@xenomai.org> 于2021年7月29日周四 下午3:39写道:

> On 28.07.21 15:47, Kristiansen, Morten (INT) via Xenomai wrote:
> > Hi Everybody.
> >
> > I have a boot problem on IMX8M Nano.
> >
> > NXP provide a ported kernel for their evaluation board based on Linux
> 5.4.70. (https://source.codeaurora.org/external/imx/linux-imx, branch
> imx_5.4.70_2.3.0)
> >

> You generally don't want to use this, you want an upstream version.

Jan,

Do you see an issue with that version?

THanks,
Peng.

@ 2021-07-29  9:12     ` Jan Kiszka
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2021-07-29  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peng Fan; +Cc: Kristiansen, Morten (INT), xenomai

On 29.07.21 10:48, Peng Fan wrote:
> Jan Kiszka via Xenomai <xenomai@xenomai.org
> <mailto:xenomai@xenomai.org>> 于2021年7月29日周四 下午3:39写道:
>
>     On 28.07.21 15:47, Kristiansen, Morten (INT) via Xenomai wrote:
>     > Hi Everybody.
>     >
>     > I have a boot problem on IMX8M Nano.
>     >
>     > NXP provide a ported kernel for their evaluation board based on
>     Linux 5.4.70. (https://source.codeaurora.org/external/imx/linux-imx
>     <https://source.codeaurora.org/external/imx/linux-imx>,
>     branch imx_5.4.70_2.3.0)
>     >

>     You generally don't want to use this, you want an upstream version.
>

> Jan,
>
> Do you see an issue with that version?

It's not upstream, thus not able to provide official stable interfaces.
And it didn't pass the extra upstream QA yet. And my not live long
enough to be used in products. The common vendor kernel problem.

Plus, when you combine things with another downstream patch series -
that's what Xenomai is responsible for -, things do not become simpler.

Sorry, just burned again, not by NXP, but by the same pattern.

Jan

--
Siemens AG, T RDA IOT