* How to pull force just one folder in dev tree?
@ 2012-06-05 17:41 J.V.
From: J.V. @ 2012-06-05 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

If I am in my source code tree down deep in a directory at the command
line, how do I pull from a repo and force overwrite all files locally
(and also get files that I deleted locally, just in the folder I am in?)

I do not want to do this for the entire repo, just the directory that I
am in and also on the branch I am in.  I am not in the 'master' branch,
but another branch.

so

  $git reset --hard HEAD

  Would probably do my entire local repo and from 'master' (even if I am
not on master)?

---
I want to git force pull from the branch I am on locally (tracked to a
branch on a remote bare repo) and force overwrite of all files locally &
also get the files I may have deleted locally from the file system (not
files deleted through git).

How do I practice this to see what would happen (or revert) your
solution if there are problems?

* Re: How to pull force just one folder in dev tree?
@ 2012-06-05 18:35 ` Junio C Hamano
From: Junio C Hamano @ 2012-06-05 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: J.V.; +Cc: git

"J.V." <jvsrvcs@gmail.com> writes:

> If I am in my source code tree down deep in a directory at the command
> line, how do I pull from a repo and force overwrite all files locally
> (and also get files that I deleted locally, just in the folder I am
> in?)
>
> I do not want to do this for the entire repo, just the directory that
> I am in and also on the branch I am in.  I am not in the 'master'
> branch, but another branch.
>
> so
>
>  $git reset --hard HEAD
>
>  Would probably do my entire local repo and from 'master' (even if I
> am not on master)?

No. It asks "Please reset the index and the working tree files to
match what I have in the commit I checked out".  If you are on the
'slave' branch, the index and the working tree files are updated to
match the commit at the tip of the 'slave' branch.

It is unclear what you are trying to do, but if you made random
changes in files in your current directory (somewhere deep), all
changes are crap and you regret making them, and you are wishing to
everything in this directory checked out from my current branch" is
to say:

	$ git checkout HEAD -- .

* Re: How to pull force just one folder in dev tree?
@ 2012-06-11 20:18   ` Philip Oakley
From: Philip Oakley @ 2012-06-11 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Junio C Hamano, J.V.; +Cc: Git List