* Tried to replace a drive in a raid 1 and all hell broke loose
@ 2022-05-23 17:21 efkf
       [not found] ` <5fd50e9.def5d621.180f273d002@tnonline.net>
From: efkf @ 2022-05-23 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

Hello, this is my first time interacting with a mailing list and the
first time actually using btrfs.

THE CURRENT SITUATION:
I think I have two working drives with dm-crypt in what i think is raid
1
when booted on a either fedora live disk or debian testing i can mount
the filesystem but check fails and scrub aborts.
    -= FEDORA =-
The first time i scrub i get this on the kernel log: ( attachment
fedora_scrub_1 )
i unmounted, mounted and scrubbed again and got a different error: (
attachment fedora_scrub_2 )
check says this: ( attachment fedora_check )
This is the distro info: ( attachment fedora_info ))

  -= DEBIAN TESTING =-
The first time i scrub i get this on the kernel log: ( attachment
debian_scrub1 )
I unmounted and got a call trace and register dump on the kernel log: (
attachment debian_unmount )
i mounted and scrubbed again and got a similar error to fedora's second
scrub: ( attachment debian_scrub2 )
check says the same thing
This is the distro info: ( attachment debian_info )

THE BACKSTORY:
here is a timeline of the events that lead up to this
(by the way, all of this was done with clean unmounts and reboots)
  [ Using debian stable btrfs-progs 5.10.1-2 ]
- Btrfs raid 1 works great srubs ok with 2 drives
- One drive starts dying, i get one to replace it
- Add the new one to the array (with all three plugged in) (i now know i
should've use replace instead)
- run btrfs balance (with all three again)
- tried to delete the drive but failed (around this time i started
running into weird errors)
- updated debian to testing, updated kernel, rebooted ( btrgs-progs
5.10.1-2 -> 5.17-1 )
- managed to remove the failing drive (not sure if the update helped)
- Have to mount degraded and check shows a lot of errors
- bite the bullet and run check --repair, it says it is fixing errors
and at the end it says no errors
- run just check again and get the same errors as before roughly
- run check --repair again, gets stuck in what seems to be an infinite
loop. Says its fixing the same things again and again
- joined the irc channel to ask for help
- send sigterm to btrfs check --repair ( no one had replied by then)
- it actually mounts without needing -o degraded now
- get told to run 'btrfs fi us -T /mnt' and realize that i have both
raid1 and some small single chunks
- run btrfs balance start -mconvert=raid1,soft -dconvert=raid1,soft /mnt
- btrfs check shows much less errors and all single chunks are gone (
the btrfs check output at that point is attached as old_completing_check
on the email )
- try to run scrubs, they abort
- check and there are some single chunks yet again
- try fedora, run check and it gives the error i have attached and
doesn't go through with actually checking everything
- try debian again and now checking doesn't complete with the same error
as in fedora
I also tried running 'btrfs balance start -mconvert=raid1,soft
-dconvert=raid1,soft /mnt' again now and the first time I run it, it
says
ERROR: error during balancing '/mnt/sd': No such file or directory
and it the second time
ERROR: error during balancing '/mnt/sd': Read-only file system

Thanks a lot for reading my email and sorry if it winds up being
something not related to btrfs