* checkpatch stops processing at an empty commit
@ 2022-09-26 10:41 Tomi Valkeinen
From: Tomi Valkeinen @ 2022-09-26 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

I use empty commits as "banner" commits, and it seems that checkpatch stops
processing commits when it encounters such an empty commit. This happens
both when using checkpatch for patch files and when using the -g option
to check the git branch.

Here I call checkpatch for a bigger range, in which the second commit
(4928b50c0e23) is an empty commit:

$ ./scripts/checkpatch.pl -g --strict --max-line-length=80 c553517a043b..aec2d6335383
Commit 1bd2c75f1254 ("media: v4l2-subdev: Sort includes")
total: 0 errors, 0 warnings, 0 checks, 24 lines checked

Commit 1bd2c75f1254 ("media: v4l2-subdev: Sort includes") has no obvious style problems and is ready for submission.
Commit 4928b50c0e23 ("=========================== Fixes ============================")

  Tomi

* Re: checkpatch stops processing at an empty commit
@ 2022-09-26 13:34 ` Joe Perches
From: Joe Perches @ 2022-09-26 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 2022-09-26 at 13:41 +0300, Tomi Valkeinen wrote:
> Hi,

Hi back.

> I use empty commits as "banner" commits, and it seems that checkpatch stops
> processing commits when it encounters such an empty commit.

Well, honestly I don't much care.
This is not a use of checkpatch nor git in typical development.

If it bothers you, you could fix it.
Or perhaps pay someone to fix it for you.

cheers, Joe