* Xen like VirtualBox
       [not found] <1367489592.1783564.1478542690773.ref@mail.yahoo.com>
@ 2016-11-07 18:18 ` Jason Long
From: Jason Long @ 2016-11-07 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xen-devel

Hello.
Why Xen developer never think about a product like
VirtualBox? It is true that Xen is a type 1 hypervisor but is it possible to make a product like VirtualBox based on Xen?

Thank you.

* Re: Xen like VirtualBox
@ 2016-11-07 18:28   ` Geza Gemes
From: Geza Gemes @ 2016-11-07 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Long, Xen-devel

On 11/07/2016 07:18 PM, Jason Long wrote:
> Hello.
> Why Xen developer never think about a product like
> VirtualBox? It is true that Xen is a type 1 hypervisor but is it possible to make a product like VirtualBox based on Xen?
>
> Thank you.

I thing the better question is: What virtualbox functionality you are
missing from Xen?

Cheers,

Geza

* Re: Xen like VirtualBox
       [not found] <277174510.2356321.1479417274189.ref@mail.yahoo.com>
@ 2016-11-17 21:14 ` Jason Long
From: Jason Long @ 2016-11-17 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: George Dunlap, John Haxby, Jason Long; +Cc: xen-devel

Please thinking about a nice GUI. After it users like me and book author working and introduce Xen more than it.

Thank you.
On Tue, 11/15/16, Jason Long <hack3rcon@yahoo.com> wrote:

 Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Xen like VirtualBox
 To: "George Dunlap" <dunlapg@umich.edu>, "John Haxby" <john.haxby@oracle.com>
 Cc: "xen-devel@lists.xen.org" <xen-devel@lists.xen.org>
 Date: Tuesday, November 15, 2016, 6:05 AM

 Thank you but I guess it is serious
 for Xen.
 Are you Sure Red Hat company help Xen? I guess you wrong.
 Red Hat employee not mean Red Hat company and they can help
 other Open Source projects as hobbyist. I guess some Citrix
 guys help KVM as hobbyist too. When you read Virtualization
 books then all of them explain VirtualBox and VMWare
 Workstation but why not Xen? It is because of a GUI leak. In
 my opinion, Xen and Citrix guys must work on a nice
 interface for Xen and don't thinking about something like
 virt-manager or..

 On Tuesday, November 15, 2016 5:28 PM, George Dunlap <dunlapg@umich.edu>
 wrote:
 On Tue, Nov 15, 2016 at 11:54 AM, John Haxby <john.haxby@oracle.com>
 wrote:

 > On 15/11/16 11:17, Jason Long wrote:
 >> You said a Red Hat employee and this company like
 KVM not Xen.

 > That makes no sense.  You're denying what it says
 on the
 > virt-manager.org web site as well as denying what it
 says in the
 > description of the RPM.   Even the Red
 Hat RPM for virt-manager says
 > that it works with Xen (I'm looking at the RHEL6 source
 and it says
 > "administering virtual machines for KVM, Xen, and
 QEmu").

 > You can choose to avoid anything to do with Red Hat
 because of their
 > preference of KVM over Xen, but, as the English saying
 goes, that's
 > cutting your nose off to spite your face.

 To corroborate this, two points:

 First, RedHat generally do Open Source properly: They run
 projects
 like virt-manager and libvirt as proper open-source
 communities, even
 when their engineers are doing the lion's share of the
 work.
 Obviously the RedHat engineers focus on functionality which
 is
 important to RedHat.  But it's been my consistent
 experience that
 these projects accommodate work that people from the
 Xen community
 put in.  The libvirt guys don't actively develop Xen
 functionality for
 libvirt, but if we submit patches they get constructive
 review, and if
 someone else breaks existing Xen functionality they fix it.

 Secondly, while Citrix doesn't use virt-manager for Xen,
 SuSE and
 Oracle do (I believe).

 If you know of bugs or deficiencies in virt-manager's Xen
 support,
 then please do report them.  But don't dismiss it
 out-of-hand simply
 because RedHat are the main contributors.

 -George

* Re: Xen like VirtualBox
@ 2016-11-15 15:56                 ` Cedric Bosdonnat
From: Cedric Bosdonnat @ 2016-11-15 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Long, George Dunlap, John Haxby; +Cc: xen-devel

Hi Jason,

On Tue, 2016-11-15 at 14:05 +0000, Jason Long wrote:
> Thank you but I guess it is serious for Xen.
> Are you Sure Red Hat company help Xen? I guess you wrong. Red Hat employee not mean Red Hat company and they can help
> other Open Source projects as hobbyist. I guess some Citrix guys help KVM as hobbyist too. When you read
> Virtualization books then all of them explain VirtualBox and VMWare Workstation but why not Xen? It is because of a
> GUI leak. In my opinion, Xen and Citrix guys must work on a nice interface for Xen and don't thinking about something
> like virt-manager or..

As others wrote, there is no need to reinvent the wheel with yet another GUI.
If you really need a GUI for Xen, then virt-manager could do the work fairly well.

I confirm, that SUSE uses virt-manager for Xen, and that it's easy to get
patches in for either virt-manager or libvirt.

Obviously there is still some work to be done to get the libvirt libxl driver
on par with the QEMU one, but again patches are welcome. We are a few guys
reviewing the patches on it.

--
Cedric

* Re: Xen like VirtualBox
@ 2016-11-15 14:05               ` Jason Long
From: Jason Long @ 2016-11-15 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: George Dunlap, John Haxby; +Cc: xen-devel

@ 2016-11-15 13:58             ` George Dunlap
From: George Dunlap @ 2016-11-15 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Haxby; +Cc: Jason Long, xen-devel

@ 2016-11-15 11:54           ` John Haxby
From: John Haxby @ 2016-11-15 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Long, xen-devel

On 15/11/16 11:17, Jason Long wrote:
> You said a Red Hat employee and this company like KVM not Xen.

That makes no sense.  You're denying what it says on the
virt-manager.org web site as well as denying what it says in the
description of the RPM.   Even the Red Hat RPM for virt-manager says
that it works with Xen (I'm looking at the RHEL6 source and it says
"administering virtual machines for KVM, Xen, and QEmu").

You can choose to avoid anything to do with Red Hat because of their
preference of KVM over Xen, but, as the English saying goes, that's
cutting your nose off to spite your face.

jch

> On Tuesday, November 15, 2016 2:16 PM, John Haxby <john.haxby@oracle.com> wrote:
> On 14/11/16 14:05, Jason Long wrote:
>> Thank you but the problem is that "virt-manager" is for Redhat and Redhat don't like Xen anymore because of KVM. Another problem is that a program like VirtualBox has a nice GUI but virt-manager not.
>
> virt-manager is also available for Fedora and Fedora doesn't have a
> problem with Xen.
>
>> $ dnf info virt-manager
>> [...]
>> Summary     : Desktop tool for managing virtual machines via libvirt
>> URL         : http://virt-manager.org/
>> License     : GPLv2+
>> Description : Virtual Machine Manager provides a graphical tool for
>>             : administering virtual machines for KVM, Xen, and LXC. Start, stop,
>>             : add or remove virtual devices, connect to a graphical or serial
>>             : console, and see resource usage statistics for existing VMs on
>>             : local or remote machines. Uses libvirt as the backend management
>>             : API.
>
> virt0manager.org is registered to an individual (admittedly, I believe,
> a Red Hat employee).   According to the home page it's available for
> Fedora, Debian, Gentoo and OpenBSD.
>
> You could go ahead and do your own version of a GUI but I'd suggest that
> fixing the Xen interface and pushing any needed changes to libvirt would
> be better.
>
> jch
>

>> On Monday, November 14, 2016 5:22 PM, Dario Faggioli <dario.faggioli@citrix.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, 2016-11-10 at 18:20 +0000, Jason Long wrote:
>>
>>> I mean is a nice GUI like VirtualBox.
>>>
>> It's certainly possible, and it would be nice. It's "just" that no one
>> has stepped up and started to do it. :-)
>>
>> Personally, I think that, rather than developing something from
>> scratch, it would be a lot better to use virt-manager
>> (https://virt-manager.org/), or other similar front-ends.
>>
>> About virt-manager, it is built on top of libvirt, and Xen support in
>> libvirt has improved a lot during the past couple of years. Thath means
>> a bunch of things and features actually work already.
>>
>> It would be really nice and useful if someone could actually try and
>> use it with Xen, and report here and to the libvir and virt-manager
>> communities what is missing/not working.
>>
>> Thanks and Regards,
>> Dario

* Re: Xen like VirtualBox
@ 2016-11-15 11:17         ` Jason Long
From: Jason Long @ 2016-11-15 11:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Haxby, xen-devel

You said a Red Hat employee and this company like KVM not Xen.

On Tuesday, November 15, 2016 2:16 PM, John Haxby <john.haxby@oracle.com> wrote:
On 14/11/16 14:05, Jason Long wrote:
> Thank you but the problem is that "virt-manager" is for Redhat and Redhat don't like Xen anymore because of KVM. Another problem is that a program like VirtualBox has a nice GUI but virt-manager not.

virt-manager is also available for Fedora and Fedora doesn't have a
problem with Xen.

> $ dnf info virt-manager
> [...]
> Summary     : Desktop tool for managing virtual machines via libvirt
> URL         : http://virt-manager.org/
> License     : GPLv2+
> Description : Virtual Machine Manager provides a graphical tool for
>             : administering virtual machines for KVM, Xen, and LXC. Start, stop,
>             : add or remove virtual devices, connect to a graphical or serial
>             : console, and see resource usage statistics for existing VMs on
>             : local or remote machines. Uses libvirt as the backend management
>             : API.

virt0manager.org is registered to an individual (admittedly, I believe,
a Red Hat employee).   According to the home page it's available for
Fedora, Debian, Gentoo and OpenBSD.

You could go ahead and do your own version of a GUI but I'd suggest that
fixing the Xen interface and pushing any needed changes to libvirt would
be better.

jch

> On Monday, November 14, 2016 5:22 PM, Dario Faggioli <dario.faggioli@citrix.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2016-11-10 at 18:20 +0000, Jason Long wrote:
>
>> I mean is a nice GUI like VirtualBox.
>>
> It's certainly possible, and it would be nice. It's "just" that no one
> has stepped up and started to do it. :-)
>
> Personally, I think that, rather than developing something from
> scratch, it would be a lot better to use virt-manager
> (https://virt-manager.org/), or other similar front-ends.
>
> About virt-manager, it is built on top of libvirt, and Xen support in
> libvirt has improved a lot during the past couple of years. Thath means
> a bunch of things and features actually work already.
>
> It would be really nice and useful if someone could actually try and
> use it with Xen, and report here and to the libvir and virt-manager
> communities what is missing/not working.
>
> Thanks and Regards,
> Dario

* Re: Xen like VirtualBox
@ 2016-11-15 11:16             ` Jason Long
From: Jason Long @ 2016-11-15 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Durrant, Dario Faggioli, Xen-devel

I'm working with XenServer too and XenServer is not a complete Linux and you can't work it well like Linux. You can Install Xen on your Linux and doing Virtualization and your daily work with Linux.

On Tuesday, November 15, 2016 1:30 PM, Paul Durrant <Paul.Durrant@citrix.com> wrote:
> [...]

Have you tried XenServer? That is Citrix's product and has a well-liked GUI. Why would we want another one?

  Paul

> On Monday, November 14, 2016 10:10 PM, Dario Faggioli
> <dario.faggioli@citrix.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2016-11-14 at 14:05 +0000, Jason Long wrote:
> > Thank you but the problem is that "virt-manager" is for Redhat and
> > Redhat don't like Xen anymore because of KVM.
> >
> That's not really accurate. Virt-manager is --at least last time I've
> tried, which is not too long ago-- a GUI front-end for libvirt.
>
> It is may be true that a lot of its contributors works for or are
> related to RedHat, and it is probably still true that it does its best
> with KVM... But it actually works with Xen already (it, at least up to
> a certain extent, should work with whatever uses libvirt).
>
> In fact, if you go to https://virt-manager.org/ , this is what you
> find:
> "The virt-manager application is a desktop user interface for managing
> virtual machines through libvirt. It primarily targets KVM VMs, but
> also manages Xen and LXC (linux containers)."
>
> It could be made a lot better, when used on Xen, but that will only
> happen with some effort, and helping us assessing what does work and
> what does not, would be a very valuable contribution.
>
> >  Another problem is that a program like VirtualBox has a nice GUI but
> > virt-manager not.
> >
> Mmm.. so, you're saying that you like VirtualBox's GUI but you don't
> like virt-manager's one, right? In which case, oh, well...
>

> Dario
> --
> <<This happens because I choose it to happen!>> (Raistlin Majere)

* Re: Xen like VirtualBox
@ 2016-11-15 10:44       ` John Haxby
From: John Haxby @ 2016-11-15 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel

On 14/11/16 14:05, Jason Long wrote:
> Thank you but the problem is that "virt-manager" is for Redhat and Redhat don't like Xen anymore because of KVM. Another problem is that a program like VirtualBox has a nice GUI but virt-manager not.

virt-manager is also available for Fedora and Fedora doesn't have a
problem with Xen.

> $ dnf info virt-manager
> [...]
> Summary     : Desktop tool for managing virtual machines via libvirt
> URL         : http://virt-manager.org/
> License     : GPLv2+
> Description : Virtual Machine Manager provides a graphical tool for
>             : administering virtual machines for KVM, Xen, and LXC. Start, stop,
>             : add or remove virtual devices, connect to a graphical or serial
>             : console, and see resource usage statistics for existing VMs on
>             : local or remote machines. Uses libvirt as the backend management
>             : API.

virt0manager.org is registered to an individual (admittedly, I believe,
a Red Hat employee).   According to the home page it's available for
Fedora, Debian, Gentoo and OpenBSD.

You could go ahead and do your own version of a GUI but I'd suggest that
fixing the Xen interface and pushing any needed changes to libvirt would
be better.

jch

> On Monday, November 14, 2016 5:22 PM, Dario Faggioli <dario.faggioli@citrix.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2016-11-10 at 18:20 +0000, Jason Long wrote:
>
>> I mean is a nice GUI like VirtualBox.
>>
> It's certainly possible, and it would be nice. It's "just" that no one
> has stepped up and started to do it. :-)
>
> Personally, I think that, rather than developing something from
> scratch, it would be a lot better to use virt-manager
> (https://virt-manager.org/), or other similar front-ends.
>
> About virt-manager, it is built on top of libvirt, and Xen support in
> libvirt has improved a lot during the past couple of years. Thath means
> a bunch of things and features actually work already.
>
> It would be really nice and useful if someone could actually try and
> use it with Xen, and report here and to the libvir and virt-manager
> communities what is missing/not working.
>
> Thanks and Regards,
> Dario

* Re: Xen like VirtualBox
@ 2016-11-15  9:58           ` Paul Durrant