* defconfig file (or fragment files) not used
@ 2018-03-28 16:27 Vincent Daanen
From: Vincent Daanen @ 2018-03-28 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

I want to add CAN driver support to the kernel. Here is the procedure I followed:

  1.  Generate a .config file
  2.  Copy it to meta-myWork/recipes-kernel/linux/files/defconfig
  3.  Update it: set at the end the config to enable CAN as follows

# CAN Bus

CONFIG_NET=y

CONFIG_CAN=y

CONFIG_CAN_RAW=y

CONFIG_CAN_BCM=y

CONFIG_CAN_GW=y

#

# CAN Device Drivers

#

CONFIG_CAN_VCAN=y

# CONFIG_CAN_SLCAN is not set

CONFIG_CAN_DEV=y

# CONFIG_CAN_CALC_BITTIMING is not set

# CONFIG_CAN_LEDS is not set

# CONFIG_CAN_SJA1000 is not set

  1.  Update the linux-yocto_%.bbappend file as follows

SUMMARY = "Recipe to configure kernel as required"

LICENSE = "CLOSED"

inherit kernel-yocto

FILESEXTRAPATHS_prepend := "${THISDIR}/files:"

SRC_URI += file://defconfig

  1.  Request rebuilt:
bitbake linux-yocto-rt -c cleansstate
bitbake -k linux-yocto-rt

Once the image started (with qemu), I check if the CAN is enabled (using zcat /proc/config.gz | grep CAN) and I always get “CAN not set”

I also tried using fragment and I got the same result ☹

According the user manual, it seems to me I’m doing the right think!
Does someone know why my defconfig file is not taken into account ?

Thanks

Vincent

* Re: defconfig file (or fragment files) not used
@ 2018-03-29  0:13 ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2018-03-29  0:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vincent Daanen, yocto

On 3/28/18 9:27 AM, Vincent Daanen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to add CAN driver support to the kernel. Here is the procedure I
> followed:
>
>  1. Generate a .config file
>  2. Copy it to meta-myWork/recipes-kernel/linux/files/defconfig
>  3. Update it: set at the end the config to enable CAN as follows
>
> # CAN Bus
>
> CONFIG_NET=y
>
> CONFIG_CAN=y
>
> CONFIG_CAN_RAW=y
>
> CONFIG_CAN_BCM=y
>
> CONFIG_CAN_GW=y
>
> #
>
> # CAN Device Drivers
>
> #
>
> CONFIG_CAN_VCAN=y
>
> # CONFIG_CAN_SLCAN is not set
>
> CONFIG_CAN_DEV=y
>
> # CONFIG_CAN_CALC_BITTIMING is not set
>
> # CONFIG_CAN_LEDS is not set
>
> # CONFIG_CAN_SJA1000 is not set
>
>  4. Update the linux-yocto_%.bbappend file as follows
>
> SUMMARY = "Recipe to configure kernel as required"
>
> LICENSE = "CLOSED"
>
> inherit kernel-yocto
>
> FILESEXTRAPATHS_prepend := "${THISDIR}/files:"
>
> SRC_URI += file://defconfig
>
>  5. Request rebuilt:
>
> bitbake linux-yocto-rt -c cleansstate
>
> bitbake -k linux-yocto-rt
>
> Once the image started (with qemu), I check if the CAN is enabled (using
> zcat /proc/config.gz | grep CAN) and I always get “CAN not set”
>
> I also tried using fragment and I got the same result ☹
>
> According the user manual, it seems to me I’m doing the right think!
>
> Does someone know why my defconfig file is not taken into account ?

If you are using linux-yocto for your kernel provider then I wouldr
recommend that you look into developer manual.

you should look into using config fragments to modify the needed options
e.g. see
https://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/latest/kernel-dev/kernel-dev.html#changing-the-configuration

@ 2018-03-29  6:00   ` Vincent Daanen
From: Vincent Daanen @ 2018-03-29  6:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Khem Raj, yocto

>On 3/28/18 9:27 AM, Vincent Daanen wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I want to add CAN driver support to the kernel. Here is the procedure
>> followed:
>>
>>  1. Generate a .config file
>>  2. Copy it to meta-myWork/recipes-kernel/linux/files/defconfig
>>  3. Update it: set at the end the config to enable CAN as follows
>>
>> # CAN Bus
>>
>> CONFIG_NET=y
>>
>> CONFIG_CAN=y
>>
>> CONFIG_CAN_RAW=y
>>
>> CONFIG_CAN_BCM=y
>>
>> CONFIG_CAN_GW=y
>>
>> #
>>
>> # CAN Device Drivers
>>
>> #
>>
>> CONFIG_CAN_VCAN=y
>>
>> # CONFIG_CAN_SLCAN is not set
>>
>> CONFIG_CAN_DEV=y
>>
>> # CONFIG_CAN_CALC_BITTIMING is not set
>>
>> # CONFIG_CAN_LEDS is not set
>>
>> # CONFIG_CAN_SJA1000 is not set
>>
>>  4. Update the linux-yocto_%.bbappend file as follows
>>
>> SUMMARY = "Recipe to configure kernel as required"
>>
>> LICENSE = "CLOSED"
>>
>> inherit kernel-yocto
>>
>> FILESEXTRAPATHS_prepend := "${THISDIR}/files:"
>>
>> SRC_URI += file://defconfig
>>
>>  5. Request rebuilt:
>>
>> bitbake linux-yocto-rt -c cleansstate
>>
>> bitbake -k linux-yocto-rt
>>
>> Once the image started (with qemu), I check if the CAN is enabled
>> (using zcat /proc/config.gz | grep CAN) and I always get “CAN not set”
>>
>> I also tried using fragment and I got the same result ☹
>>
>> According the user manual, it seems to me I’m doing the right think!
>>
>> Does someone know why my defconfig file is not taken into account ?
>>

>If you are using linux-yocto for your kernel provider then I wouldr recommend that you look into developer manual.
>
>you should look into using config fragments to modify the needed
>options e.g. see
>https://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/latest/kernel-dev/kernel-dev.html#cha
>nging-the-configuration

I don't understand what you mean. That's what I'm doing. I followed the procedure described in the link you provide... Can u explain ?

@ 2018-03-29  8:25     ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2018-03-29  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vincent Daanen, yocto

On 3/28/18 11:00 PM, Vincent Daanen wrote:
>> On 3/28/18 9:27 AM, Vincent Daanen wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I want to add CAN driver support to the kernel. Here is the procedure
>>> followed:
>>>
>>>   1. Generate a .config file
>>>   2. Copy it to meta-myWork/recipes-kernel/linux/files/defconfig
>>>   3. Update it: set at the end the config to enable CAN as follows
>>>
>>> # CAN Bus
>>>
>>> CONFIG_NET=y
>>>
>>> CONFIG_CAN=y
>>>
>>> CONFIG_CAN_RAW=y
>>>
>>> CONFIG_CAN_BCM=y
>>>
>>> CONFIG_CAN_GW=y
>>>
>>> #
>>>
>>> # CAN Device Drivers
>>>
>>> #
>>>
>>> CONFIG_CAN_VCAN=y
>>>
>>> # CONFIG_CAN_SLCAN is not set
>>>
>>> CONFIG_CAN_DEV=y
>>>
>>> # CONFIG_CAN_CALC_BITTIMING is not set
>>>
>>> # CONFIG_CAN_LEDS is not set
>>>
>>> # CONFIG_CAN_SJA1000 is not set
>>>
>>>   4. Update the linux-yocto_%.bbappend file as follows
>>>
>>> SUMMARY = "Recipe to configure kernel as required"
>>>
>>> LICENSE = "CLOSED"
>>>
>>> inherit kernel-yocto
>>>
>>> FILESEXTRAPATHS_prepend := "${THISDIR}/files:"
>>>
>>> SRC_URI += file://defconfig
>>>
>>>   5. Request rebuilt:
>>>
>>> bitbake linux-yocto-rt -c cleansstate
>>>
>>> bitbake -k linux-yocto-rt
>>>
>>> Once the image started (with qemu), I check if the CAN is enabled
>>> (using zcat /proc/config.gz | grep CAN) and I always get “CAN not set”
>>>
>>> I also tried using fragment and I got the same result ☹
>>>
>>> According the user manual, it seems to me I’m doing the right think!
>>>
>>> Does someone know why my defconfig file is not taken into account ?
>>>

>> If you are using linux-yocto for your kernel provider then I wouldr recommend that you look into developer manual.
>>
>> you should look into using config fragments to modify the needed
>> options e.g. see
>> https://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/latest/kernel-dev/kernel-dev.html#cha
>> nging-the-configuration
>
> I don't understand what you mean. That's what I'm doing. I followed the procedure described in the link you provide... Can u explain ?

Create a file for config fragment say can.cfg and put all options you
want to change in that file and then add that to SRC_URI
you dont need to create full defconfig.

@ 2018-03-29  9:45       ` Prakash Ks
From: Prakash Ks @ 2018-03-29  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Khem Raj; +Cc: yocto

Hi Vincent,

Its better to create patch and apply from platform specific kernel recipes.

if you need more info let me know.

Thanks!
Prakash

On Thu, Mar 29, 2018 at 1:55 PM, Khem Raj <raj.khem@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> If you are using linux-yocto for your kernel provider then I wouldr
>>> recommend that you look into developer manual.
>>>
>>> you should look into using config fragments to modify the needed
>>> options e.g. see
>>> https://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/latest/kernel-dev/kernel-dev.html#cha
>>> nging-the-configuration
>>>

>> I don't understand what you mean. That's what I'm doing. I followed the
>> procedure described in the link you provide... Can u explain ?
>>

> Create a file for config fragment say can.cfg and put all options you want
> to change in that file and then add that to SRC_URI
> you dont need to create full defconfig.
>

> Thanks
>>
>> Vincent
>>
>> --

Thanks and Regards,
Prakash K S
+91 9620140303

* Re: defconfig file (or fragment files) not used
@ 2018-03-29 10:42         ` Vincent Daanen
From: Vincent Daanen @ 2018-03-29 10:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Prakash Ks, Khem Raj; +Cc: yocto

What’s the difference between fragment and patch ?
I can easily make a patch but how do I make sure the patch will be applied to the .config file ?

Thanks for your help

@ 2018-03-29 11:06           ` Prakash Ks
From: Prakash Ks @ 2018-03-29 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vincent Daanen; +Cc: yocto

just create patch and run bitbake -c patch recipename, then check defconfig
file in your build folder, if your patch worked properly then the changes
will be available in your defconfig file.

Thanks!
Prakash

--
Thanks and Regards,
Prakash K S

* Re: defconfig file (or fragment files) not used
@ 2018-03-29 14:12 ` Bruce Ashfield
From: Bruce Ashfield @ 2018-03-29 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vincent Daanen, yocto

On 03/28/2018 12:27 PM, Vincent Daanen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to add CAN driver support to the kernel. Here is the procedure I
> followed:
>
>  1. Generate a .config file
>  2. Copy it to meta-myWork/recipes-kernel/linux/files/defconfig
>  3. Update it: set at the end the config to enable CAN as follows
>
> # CAN Bus
>
> CONFIG_NET=y
>
> CONFIG_CAN=y
>
> CONFIG_CAN_RAW=y
>
> CONFIG_CAN_BCM=y
>
> CONFIG_CAN_GW=y
>
> #
>
> # CAN Device Drivers
>
> #
>
> CONFIG_CAN_VCAN=y
>
> # CONFIG_CAN_SLCAN is not set
>
> CONFIG_CAN_DEV=y
>
> # CONFIG_CAN_CALC_BITTIMING is not set
>
> # CONFIG_CAN_LEDS is not set
>
> # CONFIG_CAN_SJA1000 is not set
>
>  4. Update the linux-yocto_%.bbappend file as follows
>
> SUMMARY = "Recipe to configure kernel as required"
>
> LICENSE = "CLOSED"
>
> inherit kernel-yocto
>
> FILESEXTRAPATHS_prepend := "${THISDIR}/files:"
>
> SRC_URI += file://defconfig
>
>  5. Request rebuilt:
>
> bitbake linux-yocto-rt -c cleansstate
>
> bitbake -k linux-yocto-rt
>
> Once the image started (with qemu), I check if the CAN is enabled (using
> zcat /proc/config.gz | grep CAN) and I always get “CAN not set”

Do you have all of the CAN* Kconfig dependencies in your defconfig ?
If you don't, the kernel config subsystem will turn them off.

Also note that a 'defconfig' translates to a merge config run (yes,
even with just a defconfig) of 'allnoconfig', so that can also be
turning off dependencies if they were only valid via their default
and were not explicitly specified.

You can set KCONFIG_MODE="alldefconfig" in a linux-yocto bbappend to
change what mode merge-config uses.

Bruce

@ 2018-03-30 13:08   ` Vincent Daanen
From: Vincent Daanen @ 2018-03-30 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Ashfield, yocto

Hi

> On 03/29/18 16:12 PM, Bruce Ashfield wrote:
> [cut]
> Do you have all of the CAN* Kconfig dependencies in your defconfig ?
No only the ones I need

> If you don't, the kernel config subsystem will turn them off.
>
> Also note that a 'defconfig' translates to a merge config run (yes, even with just a defconfig) of 'allnoconfig', so that can also be turning off dependencies if they were only valid via their default and were not explicitly specified.
>
> You can set KCONFIG_MODE="alldefconfig" in a linux-yocto bbappend to change what mode merge-config uses.
I tried this but got the same result ☹!
Do you think I have to set all the "CAN*" dependencies?

@ 2018-03-30 15:18     ` Bruce Ashfield
From: Bruce Ashfield @ 2018-03-30 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vincent Daanen, yocto

On 2018-03-30 9:08 AM, Vincent Daanen wrote:
> Hi
>
>> On 03/29/18 16:12 PM, Bruce Ashfield wrote:
>> [cut]
>> Do you have all of the CAN* Kconfig dependencies in your defconfig ?
> No only the ones I need
>
>> If you don't, the kernel config subsystem will turn them off.
>>
>> Also note that a 'defconfig' translates to a merge config run (yes, even with just a defconfig) of 'allnoconfig', so that can also be turning off dependencies if they were only valid via their default and were not explicitly specified.
>>
>> You can set KCONFIG_MODE="alldefconfig" in a linux-yocto bbappend to change what mode merge-config uses.
> I tried this but got the same result ☹!
> Do you think I have to set all the "CAN*" dependencies?

Is this using master of oe-core ? Is this a setup that I can
configure and build here ?

If I can easily reproduce it, I can offer better suggestions.

Bruce

@ 2018-04-04  9:58       ` Vincent Daanen
From: Vincent Daanen @ 2018-04-04  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Ashfield, yocto

Hi,

On 03/30/2018, Bruce Ashfield wrote

> Is this using master of oe-core ? Is this a setup that I can configure and build here ?
>
> If I can easily reproduce it, I can offer better suggestions.

I'm using rocko version
Do you need more info to help me ?

@ 2018-04-04 12:22         ` Bruce Ashfield
From: Bruce Ashfield @ 2018-04-04 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vincent Daanen, yocto

On 2018-04-04 5:58 AM, Vincent Daanen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 03/30/2018, Bruce Ashfield wrote
>>
>> Is this using master of oe-core ? Is this a setup that I can configure and build here ?
>>
>> If I can easily reproduce it, I can offer better suggestions.
>
> I'm using rocko version
> Do you need more info to help me ?

Yes, I need your layers, configurations, etc.

Bruce