* FW: HXEN on linux
@ 2011-08-05  6:10 Deepak  Kr. Sharma - ERS, HCL Tech
From: Deepak  Kr. Sharma - ERS, HCL Tech @ 2011-08-05  6:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel; +Cc: todd.deshane.xen, Lars Kurth

Hello,

I am interested in porting HXen to linux. I understand that the work involved is non-trivial and hence I seek guidance.

I tried to run HXen binaries available on windows7 but the system crashed and showed me the infamous blue screen.

It would be great if I can get some insight into the work required to be done for porting HXen to linux and for achieving stability.

Regards,
Deepak

From: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk @ 2011-08-09 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Deepak  Kr. Sharma - ERS, HCL Tech
  Cc: todd.deshane.xen, xen-devel, Lars Kurth

On Fri, Aug 05, 2011 at 11:40:23AM +0530, Deepak  Kr. Sharma - ERS, HCL Tech wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am interested in porting HXen to linux. I understand that the work involved is non-trivial and hence I seek guidance.
>
> I tried to run HXen binaries available on windows7 but the system crashed and showed me the infamous blue screen.
>
> It would be great if I can get some insight into the work required to be done for porting HXen to linux and for achieving stability.

I think the first part is to see if you can compile it. And then working
through the crashes.

* Re: FW: HXEN on linux
@ 2011-08-10 11:27   ` Lars Kurth
From: Lars Kurth @ 2011-08-10 11:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: xen-devel

On 09/08/2011 20:51, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:
> I think the first part is to see if you can compile it. And then
> working through the crashes.
I saw that the sources are in a tarball on
http://xen.org/products/downloads.html. Does anybody know whether there
is a repo with HXen sources as well?
Lars

* Re: FW: HXEN on linux
@ 2011-08-10 15:04     ` Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
From: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk @ 2011-08-10 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Kurth; +Cc: xen-devel

On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 12:27:53PM +0100, Lars Kurth wrote:
> On 09/08/2011 20:51, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:
> >I think the first part is to see if you can compile it. And then
> >working through the crashes.
> I saw that the sources are in a tarball on
> http://xen.org/products/downloads.html. Does anybody know whether
> there is a repo with HXen sources as well?

Well, sadly the tarball tries to use:
http://www.xen.org/products/HostedXen

which does not exist anymore. Any idea where those files might
gone?

* RE: FW: HXEN on linux
@ 2011-08-25  7:15   ` Deepak  Kr. Sharma - ERS, HCL Tech
From: Deepak  Kr. Sharma - ERS, HCL Tech @ 2011-08-25  7:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk; +Cc: todd.deshane.xen, xen-devel, Lars Kurth

Hi,

We are able to get HXen running on windows. The crash was because of the tap adapter being blocked by our security policy :)

Can we proceed towards porting HXen on linux now?

Your guidance is highly appreciated.

Regards,
Deepak

On Fri, Aug 05, 2011 at 11:40:23AM +0530, Deepak  Kr. Sharma - ERS, HCL Tech wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am interested in porting HXen to linux. I understand that the work involved is non-trivial and hence I seek guidance.
>
> I tried to run HXen binaries available on windows7 but the system crashed and showed me the infamous blue screen.
>
> It would be great if I can get some insight into the work required to be done for porting HXen to linux and for achieving stability.

I think the first part is to see if you can compile it. And then working
through the crashes.

::DISCLAIMER::

* RE: FW: HXEN on linux
@ 2011-08-25 14:24     ` Stefano Stabellini
From: Stefano Stabellini @ 2011-08-25 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Deepak  Kr. Sharma - ERS, HCL Tech
  Cc: todd.deshane.xen, xen-devel, Lars Kurth, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk

On Thu, 25 Aug 2011, Deepak  Kr. Sharma - ERS, HCL Tech wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are able to get HXen running on windows. The crash was because of the tap adapter being blocked by our security policy :)
>
> Can we proceed towards porting HXen on linux now?
>
> Your guidance is highly appreciated.

Yes, feel free to carry on porting HXen to Linux. We'll help when we
can, but keep in mind that the original authors are not involved in the
project anymore so you won't be able to get much help from them.

* RE: FW: HXEN on linux
@ 2011-08-26 10:24       ` Deepak  Kr. Sharma - ERS, HCL Tech
From: Deepak  Kr. Sharma - ERS, HCL Tech @ 2011-08-26 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefano Stabellini
  Cc: todd.deshane.xen, xen-devel, Lars Kurth, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk

Hello,

I have few concerns regarding this project that we want to carry out:

1. It would be great to get some documents/technical information that will help us to get a better understanding of the work that has already been done and the work that has to be done, e.g. a detailed architecture of HXen will be a great help.

2. Is there any preference of development tools on linux?

3. In the current state, is there a way to configure virtualized hardware? For example, can we configure the network card or sound card that is being virtualized to the guest OS?

4. How is HXen correlated with Xen? I read somewhere that the core functions in HXen have been borrowed from Xen.

These details will help us to carry out the project in a structured manner.

Regards,
Deepak

@ 2011-08-26 11:54         ` Tim Deegan
From: Tim Deegan @ 2011-08-26 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Deepak  Kr. Sharma - ERS, HCL Tech
  Cc: todd.deshane.xen, xen-devel, Lars Kurth, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk,
	Stefano Stabellini

At 15:54 +0530 on 26 Aug (1314374067), Deepak  Kr. Sharma - ERS, HCL Tech wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have few concerns regarding this project that we want to carry out:
>
> 1. It would be great to get some documents/technical information that
> will help us to get a better understanding of the work that has
> already been done and the work that has to be done, e.g. a detailed
> architecture of HXen will be a great help.

No, there is none of these things.  HXen was an isolated project by two
engineers, neither of whom is actively developing Xen any more.  It
hasn't been touched for years.

Cheers,

Tim.

--
Tim Deegan <tim@xen.org>
Principal Software Engineer, Xen Platform Team

* RE: FW: HXEN on linux
@ 2011-08-26 12:07         ` Stefano Stabellini
From: Stefano Stabellini @ 2011-08-26 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Deepak  Kr. Sharma - ERS, HCL Tech
  Cc: todd.deshane.xen, xen-devel, Wilk, Stefano Stabellini,
	Lars Kurth, Konrad

On Fri, 26 Aug 2011, Deepak  Kr. Sharma - ERS, HCL Tech wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have few concerns regarding this project that we want to carry out:
>
> 1. It would be great to get some documents/technical information that will help us to get a better understanding of the work that has already been done and the work that has to be done, e.g. a detailed architecture of HXen will be a great help.

like Tim wrote, there isn't one.

> 2. Is there any preference of development tools on linux?

you mean, apart from make and gcc?

> 3. In the current state, is there a way to configure virtualized hardware? For example, can we configure the network card or sound card that is being virtualized to the guest OS?

I think qemu is still used as hardware emulator in HXEN, so there should
be some degrees of configuration.

* RE: FW: HXEN on linux
@ 2011-08-30  7:10           ` Deepak  Kr. Sharma - ERS, HCL Tech
From: Deepak  Kr. Sharma - ERS, HCL Tech @ 2011-08-30  7:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefano Stabellini
  Cc: todd.deshane.xen, xen-devel, Lars Kurth, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk

Hello,

I understand that there is no document available for HXen.

Please correct me if I am wrong but I assume that HXen draws some stuff from Xen. Is that correlation known and can it be explained?

We have started identifying the blocks in HXen and will be sending out very soon an assessment and understanding of what we want to do. I would request you all to validate the same and give your precious inputs.

The first challenge is to identify the big picture of HXen and our focus area.

Regards,
Deepak

@ 2011-09-01 12:30           ` Deepak  Kr. Sharma - ERS, HCL Tech
From: Deepak  Kr. Sharma - ERS, HCL Tech @ 2011-09-01 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefano Stabellini
  Cc: todd.deshane.xen, xen-devel, Lars Kurth, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk

Hello All,

I am sending a doc that captures our understanding of HXen.

We need inputs and suggestions from you all to correct any discrepancies and clarify our grey areas.

Based on your inputs, we will define our path ahead.

Regards,
Deepak

@ 2011-09-01 13:46             ` Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
From: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk @ 2011-09-01 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Deepak  Kr. Sharma - ERS, HCL Tech
  Cc: todd.deshane.xen, xen-devel, Lars Kurth, Stefano Stabellini

On Thu, Sep 01, 2011 at 06:00:26PM +0530, Deepak  Kr. Sharma - ERS, HCL Tech wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I am sending a doc that captures our understanding of HXen.
>
> We need inputs and suggestions from you all to correct any discrepancies and clarify our grey areas.

Ok, first question - why are you doing it?

> Based on your inputs, we will define our path ahead.
>
> Regards,
> Deepak

* RE: FW: HXEN on linux
@ 2011-09-05  7:13               ` Deepak  Kr. Sharma - ERS, HCL Tech
From: Deepak  Kr. Sharma - ERS, HCL Tech @ 2011-09-05  7:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
  Cc: todd.deshane.xen, xen-devel, Lars Kurth, Stefano Stabellini

Hello Konrad,

We want to build expertise in virtualization domain and contribute to open source community.

We have used Xen as type-1 hypervisor and the performance is unprecedented. We see good potential in HXen as a type-2 hypervisor and some good solutions can be built around it on linux based platforms.

Regards,
Deepak

@ 2011-09-06 16:12                 ` Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
From: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk @ 2011-09-06 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Deepak  Kr. Sharma - ERS, HCL Tech
  Cc: todd.deshane.xen, xen-devel, Lars Kurth, Stefano Stabellini

On Mon, Sep 05, 2011 at 12:43:19PM +0530, Deepak  Kr. Sharma - ERS, HCL Tech wrote:
> Hello Konrad,
>
> We want to build expertise in virtualization domain and contribute to open source community.
>
> We have used Xen as type-1 hypervisor and the performance is unprecedented. We see good potential in HXen as a type-2 hypervisor and some good solutions can be built around it on linux based platforms.

"good solutions" .. such as? I am just trying to wrap my mind
around why you would do this extra work instead of doing it in the Xen hypervisor
and expanding what it can do?

* RE: FW: HXEN on linux
@ 2011-09-07 12:19                   ` Deepak  Kr. Sharma - ERS, HCL Tech
From: Deepak  Kr. Sharma - ERS, HCL Tech @ 2011-09-07 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
  Cc: todd.deshane.xen, xen-devel, Lars Kurth, Stefano Stabellini

Hello Konrad,

We are part of COE team and our priorities are driven by team that does technology tracking (mix of sales and delivery). As recommended by them, Xen is type-1 hypervisor and HXen is a type-2 hypervisor. Virtualization in a product is a value-add service and not the core product functionality. No one would want to touch a stable system (which is a must in case of type-1 hypervisor) for a value-add service. Hence, HXen gives flexibility to add features on VM w/o impacting product's core functionality. The biggest benefit with HXen is that it can be ported to any other OS without any changes to the stable system.

Please let me know in case you have any other questions.

I would appreciate your and others' inputs and guidance on the analysis that I had sent last week.

Regards,
Deepak

@ 2011-09-07 13:56                     ` Fajar A. Nugraha
From: Fajar A. Nugraha @ 2011-09-07 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Deepak Kr. Sharma - ERS, HCL Tech; +Cc: xen-devel

On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 7:19 PM, Deepak  Kr. Sharma - ERS, HCL Tech
<deepak.s@hcl.com> wrote:
> Hello Konrad,
>
> We are part of COE team and our priorities are driven by team that does technology tracking (mix of sales and delivery). As recommended by them, Xen is type-1 hypervisor and HXen is a type-2 hypervisor. Virtualization in a product is a value-add service and not the core product functionality. No one would want to touch a stable system (which is a must in case of type-1 hypervisor) for a value-add service. Hence, HXen gives flexibility to add features on VM w/o impacting product's core functionality. The biggest benefit with HXen is that it can be ported to any other OS without any changes to the stable system.

With that goal, I wonder why you choose hxen (which is not
developed/maintained anymore, and has minimal or zero documentation)
instead of virtualbox (which is available under GPL except for the
extension pack, already supporting many host OS) or KVM (since you're
going to use Linux anyway), both are still actively developed.

Good luck though.

--
Fajar