* Question: Ethernet Phy issues on Colibri IMX8X (imx8qxp) - kernel 5.19
@ 2022-08-09 22:55 ` Philipp Rossak
From: Philipp Rossak @ 2022-08-09 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel, netdev, qiangqing.zhang; +Cc: philipp.rossak

Hi,

I currently have a project with a Toradex Colibri IMX8X SOM board whith
an onboard Micrel KSZ8041NL Ethernet PHY.

The hardware is described in the devictree properly so I expected that
the onboard Ethernet with the phy is working.

Currently I'm not able to get the link up.

I already compared it to the BSP kernel, but I didn't found anything
helpful. The BSP kernel is working.

Do you know if there is something in the kernel missing and got it running?

Thanks,
Philipp

From: Philipp Rossak @ 2022-08-09 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel, netdev, qiangqing.zhang; +Cc: philipp.rossak

Hi,

I currently have a project with a Toradex Colibri IMX8X SOM board whith
an onboard Micrel KSZ8041NL Ethernet PHY.

The hardware is described in the devictree properly so I expected that
the onboard Ethernet with the phy is working.

Currently I'm not able to get the link up.

I already compared it to the BSP kernel, but I didn't found anything
helpful. The BSP kernel is working.

Do you know if there is something in the kernel missing and got it running?

Thanks,
Philipp

* Re: Question: Ethernet Phy issues on Colibri IMX8X (imx8qxp) - kernel 5.19
@ 2022-08-10  1:19   ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2022-08-10  1:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philipp Rossak; +Cc: linux-arm-kernel, netdev, qiangqing.zhang, philipp.rossak

On Wed, Aug 10, 2022 at 12:55:58AM +0200, Philipp Rossak wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I currently have a project with a Toradex Colibri IMX8X SOM board whith an
> onboard Micrel KSZ8041NL Ethernet PHY.
>
> The hardware is described in the devictree properly so I expected that the
> onboard Ethernet with the phy is working.
>
> Currently I'm not able to get the link up.
>
> I already compared it to the BSP kernel, but I didn't found anything
> helpful. The BSP kernel is working.
>
> Do you know if there is something in the kernel missing and got it running?

dmesg output might be useful.

Do you have the micrel driver either built in, or in your initramfs
image?

	Andrew

From: Andrew Lunn @ 2022-08-10  1:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philipp Rossak; +Cc: linux-arm-kernel, netdev, qiangqing.zhang, philipp.rossak

@ 2022-08-10  7:20     ` Philipp Rossak
From: Philipp Rossak @ 2022-08-10  7:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Lunn; +Cc: linux-arm-kernel, netdev, qiangqing.zhang, philipp.rossak

On 10.08.22 03:19, Andrew Lunn wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 10, 2022 at 12:55:58AM +0200, Philipp Rossak wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I currently have a project with a Toradex Colibri IMX8X SOM board whith an
>> onboard Micrel KSZ8041NL Ethernet PHY.
>>
>> The hardware is described in the devictree properly so I expected that the
>> onboard Ethernet with the phy is working.
>>
>> Currently I'm not able to get the link up.
>>
>> I already compared it to the BSP kernel, but I didn't found anything
>> helpful. The BSP kernel is working.
>>
>> Do you know if there is something in the kernel missing and got it running?
>
> dmesg output might be useful.
>
> Do you have the micrel driver either built in, or in your initramfs
> image?
>
> 	Andrew

Hi Andrew,

the driver is built in.

In [1] you find the dmesg log from the 5.19 kernel. I also added the
DEBUG built flag for the relevant phy and network drivers.

As reference the bsp kernel 5.4.129 kernel [3] works without issues as
you can see in [2].

Thanks,
Philipp

[1] https://pastebin.com/g4XKw5yY
[2] https://pastebin.com/5t8iAAEu
[3]
https://git.toradex.com/cgit/linux-toradex.git/tree/?h=toradex_5.4-2.3.x-imx

From: Philipp Rossak @ 2022-08-10  7:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Lunn; +Cc: linux-arm-kernel, netdev, qiangqing.zhang, philipp.rossak

@ 2022-08-10  8:05   ` Marcel Ziswiler
From: Marcel Ziswiler @ 2022-08-10  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel, netdev, embed3d, qiangqing.zhang
  Cc: philipp.rossak, guoniu.zhou, aisheng.dong, abel.vesa, andrew

Sali Philipp

On Wed, 2022-08-10 at 00:55 +0200, Philipp Rossak wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I currently have a project with a Toradex Colibri IMX8X SOM board whith
> an onboard Micrel KSZ8041NL Ethernet PHY.
>
> The hardware is described in the devictree properly so I expected that
> the onboard Ethernet with the phy is working.
>
> Currently I'm not able to get the link up.
>
> I already compared it to the BSP kernel, but I didn't found anything
> helpful. The BSP kernel is working.
>
> Do you know if there is something in the kernel missing and got it running?

Yes, you may just revert the following commit babfaa9556d7 ("clk: imx: scu: add more scu clocks")

Alternatively, just commenting out the following single line also helps:

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/drivers/clk/imx/clk-imx8qxp.c?h=v5.19#n172

I just found this out about two weeks ago before I went to vacation and since have to find out with NXP what
exactly the idea of this clocking/SCFW stuff is related to our hardware.

@NXP: If any of you guys could shed some light that would be much appreciated. Thanks!

> Thanks,
> Philipp

Cheers

Marcel

From: Marcel Ziswiler @ 2022-08-10  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel, netdev, embed3d, qiangqing.zhang
  Cc: philipp.rossak, guoniu.zhou, aisheng.dong, abel.vesa, andrew

Sali Philipp

On Wed, 2022-08-10 at 00:55 +0200, Philipp Rossak wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I currently have a project with a Toradex Colibri IMX8X SOM board whith
> an onboard Micrel KSZ8041NL Ethernet PHY.
>
> The hardware is described in the devictree properly so I expected that
> the onboard Ethernet with the phy is working.
>
> Currently I'm not able to get the link up.
>
> I already compared it to the BSP kernel, but I didn't found anything
> helpful. The BSP kernel is working.
>
> Do you know if there is something in the kernel missing and got it running?

Yes, you may just revert the following commit babfaa9556d7 ("clk: imx: scu: add more scu clocks")

Alternatively, just commenting out the following single line also helps:

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/drivers/clk/imx/clk-imx8qxp.c?h=v5.19#n172

I just found this out about two weeks ago before I went to vacation and since have to find out with NXP what
exactly the idea of this clocking/SCFW stuff is related to our hardware.

@NXP: If any of you guys could shed some light that would be much appreciated. Thanks!

> Thanks,
> Philipp

Cheers

Marcel

* RE: Question: Ethernet Phy issues on Colibri IMX8X (imx8qxp) - kernel 5.19
@ 2022-08-10  8:49     ` Aisheng Dong
From: Aisheng Dong @ 2022-08-10  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcel Ziswiler, linux-arm-kernel, netdev, embed3d, Viorel Suman,
	Frank Li, Clark Wang
> On Wed, 2022-08-10 at 00:55 +0200, Philipp Rossak wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I currently have a project with a Toradex Colibri IMX8X SOM board
> > whith an onboard Micrel KSZ8041NL Ethernet PHY.
> >
> > The hardware is described in the devictree properly so I expected that
> > the onboard Ethernet with the phy is working.
> >
> > Currently I'm not able to get the link up.
> >
> > I already compared it to the BSP kernel, but I didn't found anything
> > helpful. The BSP kernel is working.
> >
> > Do you know if there is something in the kernel missing and got it running?
>
> Yes, you may just revert the following commit babfaa9556d7 ("clk: imx: scu:
> add more scu clocks")
>
> Alternatively, just commenting out the following single line also helps:
>
> https://eur01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgit.kern
> el.org%2Fpub%2Fscm%2Flinux%2Fkernel%2Fgit%2Ftorvalds%2Flinux.git%2Ftr
> ee%2Fdrivers%2Fclk%2Fimx%2Fclk-imx8qxp.c%3Fh%3Dv5.19%23n172&amp;d
> ata=05%7C01%7Caisheng.dong%40nxp.com%7Cf87519cdf73f46b3873208da7
> aa722fc%7C686ea1d3bc2b4c6fa92cd99c5c301635%7C0%7C1%7C637957155
> 515733848%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjo
> iV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&amp;sda
> ta=f4bjWadfj3yMFwpLc0nlaiSdUXEPMvk6riRm%2BxlhxPo%3D&amp;reserved=
> 0
>
> I just found this out about two weeks ago before I went to vacation and since
> have to find out with NXP what exactly the idea of this clocking/SCFW stuff is
> related to our hardware.
>
> @NXP: If any of you guys could shed some light that would be much
> appreciated. Thanks!

Copy Viorel, Frank Li, Clark to comment.

Regards
Aisheng

From: Aisheng Dong @ 2022-08-10  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcel Ziswiler, linux-arm-kernel, netdev, embed3d, Viorel Suman,
	Frank Li, Clark Wang

@ 2022-08-10 18:40     ` Philipp Rossak
From: Philipp Rossak @ 2022-08-10 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcel Ziswiler, linux-arm-kernel, netdev, qiangqing.zhang
  Cc: philipp.rossak, guoniu.zhou, aisheng.dong, abel.vesa, andrew

Hi Marcel,

thanks!

With the removed line it is working now!

I hope there will be a mainlined solution soon.

Cheers
Philipp

From: Philipp Rossak @ 2022-08-10 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcel Ziswiler, linux-arm-kernel, netdev, qiangqing.zhang
  Cc: philipp.rossak, guoniu.zhou, aisheng.dong, abel.vesa, andrew

@ 2022-08-11  8:07       ` Philippe Schenker
From: Philippe Schenker @ 2022-08-11  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel, Marcel Ziswiler, netdev, embed3d, qiangqing.zhang
  Cc: philipp.rossak, guoniu.zhou, aisheng.dong, abel.vesa, andrew

On Wed, 2022-08-10 at 20:40 +0200, Philipp Rossak wrote:
> > Hi Marcel,
> >
> > thanks!
> >
> > With the removed line it is working now!
> >
> > I hope there will be a mainlined solution soon.

This is an interesting question. Since it's a SCFW issue and a general
question about these SoCs, I'll take the liberty of hijacking this
thread for some questions (since NXP is also in the loop now).

@NXP people: which SCFW version should be used in general with mainline
linux-kernel ?
And how is it planned to proceed with SC-firmware enabled SoCs on
mainline linux?
Is the SCFW API backward compatible?
If so, from which version on?

Thanks in advance for enlightening us all on this SCFW issue.

Philippe

From: Philippe Schenker @ 2022-08-11  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel, Marcel Ziswiler, netdev, embed3d, qiangqing.zhang
  Cc: philipp.rossak, guoniu.zhou, aisheng.dong, abel.vesa, andrew

@ 2022-08-31  8:12         ` Marcel Ziswiler
From: Marcel Ziswiler @ 2022-08-31  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philippe Schenker, linux-arm-kernel, netdev, embed3d, qiangqing.zhang
  Cc: philipp.rossak, guoniu.zhou, aisheng.dong, abel.vesa, andrew, linux-imx

On Thu, 2022-08-11 at 08:07 +0000, Philippe Schenker wrote:
> On Wed, 2022-08-10 at 20:40 +0200, Philipp Rossak wrote:
> > > Hi Marcel,
> > >
> > > thanks!
> > >
> > > With the removed line it is working now!
> > >
> > > I hope there will be a mainlined solution soon.

Yes, I am still hoping for more information from NXP on that matter.

@NXP: Anybody?

From: Marcel Ziswiler @ 2022-08-31  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philippe Schenker, linux-arm-kernel, netdev, embed3d, qiangqing.zhang
  Cc: philipp.rossak, guoniu.zhou, aisheng.dong, abel.vesa, andrew, linux-imx