* PROPOSAL: Delete www-archive.xenproject.org
@ 2022-04-14 15:49 George Dunlap
From: George Dunlap @ 2022-04-14 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel

I’m pretty sure www-archive.xenproject.org is at least N-2 for websites; last updated nearly 9 years ago.  As far as I can tell there’s nothing terribly interesting stored on the site itself.  I’m going to pursue deleting it within 4 weeks unless someone objects.

 -George

[-- Attachment #2: Message signed with OpenPGP --]

* Re: PROPOSAL: Delete www-archive.xenproject.org
@ 2022-05-12 15:54 ` George Dunlap
From: George Dunlap @ 2022-05-12 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel

> On Apr 14, 2022, at 4:49 PM, George Dunlap <george.dunlap@citrix.com> wrote:
>
> I’m pretty sure www-archive.xenproject.org is at least N-2 for websites; last updated nearly 9 years ago.  As far as I can tell there’s nothing terribly interesting stored on the site itself.  I’m going to pursue deleting it within 4 weeks unless someone objects.

I have instructed Credativ to take the site down, but keep it in a tarball should we ever need to recover anything from it.

Thanks,

@ 2022-05-12 19:44   ` Rich Persaud
From: Rich Persaud @ 2022-05-12 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: George Dunlap; +Cc: xen-devel

On May 12, 2022, at 11:55 AM, George Dunlap <George.Dunlap@citrix.com> wrote:

>> On Apr 14, 2022, at 4:49 PM, George Dunlap <george.dunlap@citrix.com> wrote:
>>
>> I’m pretty sure www-archive.xenproject.org is at least N-2 for websites; last updated nearly 9 years ago.  As far as I can tell there’s nothing terribly interesting stored on the site itself.  I’m going to pursue deleting it within 4 weeks unless someone objects.
>
> I have instructed Credativ to take the site down, but keep it in a tarball should we ever need to recover anything from it.

Is all of the historical content from www-archive replicated on the current site? That content was indexed by search engines and linked from other parts of the web. Are the existing links going to break, or be redirected?

Hosting static content is essentially free, e.g. the entire site could be hosted on GH Pages. Is there a cost to keeping the current site online? How large are the uncompressed HTML files and images? We don't delete historical mailing list archives, why delete historical web site archives?

While on the topic of historical content, do we have a self-hosted mirror of slides/videos from from SlideShare, Vimeo and YouTube? More than one publisher has found their content deleted due to policy changes. It would be prudent to have our own backups.

Rich

* Re: PROPOSAL: Delete www-archive.xenproject.org
@ 2022-05-12 22:28     ` George Dunlap
From: George Dunlap @ 2022-05-12 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rich Persaud; +Cc: xen-devel

> On May 12, 2022, at 8:44 PM, Rich Persaud <persaur@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On May 12, 2022, at 11:55 AM, George Dunlap <George.Dunlap@citrix.com> wrote:
>>
>>> On Apr 14, 2022, at 4:49 PM, George Dunlap <george.dunlap@citrix.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I’m pretty sure www-archive.xenproject.org is at least N-2 for websites; last updated nearly 9 years ago. As far as I can tell there’s nothing terribly interesting stored on the site itself. I’m going to pursue deleting it within 4 weeks unless someone objects.
>>
>> I have instructed Credativ to take the site down, but keep it in a tarball should we ever need to recover anything from it.
>
> Is all of the historical content from www-archive replicated on the current site? That content was indexed by search engines and linked from other parts of the web. Are the existing links going to break, or be redirected?

The blog content has all been ported over; you can still see posts from 2008 on xenproject.org if you have the right URL.

> Hosting static content is essentially free, e.g. the entire site could be hosted on GH Pages. Is there a cost to keeping the current site online? How large are the uncompressed HTML files and images? We don't delete historical mailing list archives, why delete historical web site archives?

The main cost is that there was content on there that was obsolete; specifically, one of the top hits for “Xen Project Trademark” was a PDF of a trademark policy that was obsoleted by the 2013 move to the Linux Foundation.

> While on the topic of historical content, do we have a self-hosted mirror of slides/videos from from SlideShare, Vimeo and YouTube? More than one publisher has found their content deleted due to policy changes. It would be prudent to have our own backups.

We certainly don’t have a *self-hosted* option, in the sense that anyone could go and view them.  Having them backed up somewhere would indeed be prudent; it’s worth checking to see if we have anything anywhere, but if we do, I’m not aware of it.

 -George