* Enabling enhanced acoustics on adt7475
@ 2017-05-01  8:45 Chris Packham
From: Chris Packham @ 2017-05-01  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-hwmon

Hi,

I'm looking at adding code to configure the enhanced acoustics on the
ADT7475 and compatible devices.

I'm wondering if I should be adding these as device-tree properties or
as sysfs attributes. And in either case how these properties/attributes
should behave. The main impact of this would be to provide a mechanism
for configuring how fast the pwm output will change.

The fact that I wrote "configuring" above makes me lean towards sysfs
attributes. Nothing in Documentation/hwmon/sysfs-interface really covers
this. dme1737.c has a pwmN_ramp_rate which would seem close to what I
want. Is there any other precedent I should follow?

Thanks in advance,
Chris

* Re: Enabling enhanced acoustics on adt7475
@ 2017-05-01 19:16 ` Guenter Roeck
From: Guenter Roeck @ 2017-05-01 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Packham; +Cc: linux-hwmon

On Mon, May 01, 2017 at 08:45:14AM +0000, Chris Packham wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking at adding code to configure the enhanced acoustics on the
> ADT7475 and compatible devices.
>
> I'm wondering if I should be adding these as device-tree properties or
> as sysfs attributes. And in either case how these properties/attributes
> should behave. The main impact of this would be to provide a mechanism
> for configuring how fast the pwm output will change.
>
> The fact that I wrote "configuring" above makes me lean towards sysfs
> attributes. Nothing in Documentation/hwmon/sysfs-interface really covers

Definitely. This does not describe hardware.

> this. dme1737.c has a pwmN_ramp_rate which would seem close to what I
> want. Is there any other precedent I should follow?

There is pwmX_step but that does not describe a ramp rate in time.
dme1737.c indeed seems to be the closest match. Nothing else I can think of.

Guenter

* Re: Enabling enhanced acoustics on adt7475
@ 2017-05-02  3:45   ` Chris Packham
From: Chris Packham @ 2017-05-02  3:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guenter Roeck; +Cc: linux-hwmon

On 02/05/17 07:16, Guenter Roeck wrote:
> On Mon, May 01, 2017 at 08:45:14AM +0000, Chris Packham wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm looking at adding code to configure the enhanced acoustics on the
>> ADT7475 and compatible devices.
>>
>> I'm wondering if I should be adding these as device-tree properties or
>> as sysfs attributes. And in either case how these properties/attributes
>> should behave. The main impact of this would be to provide a mechanism
>> for configuring how fast the pwm output will change.
>>
>> The fact that I wrote "configuring" above makes me lean towards sysfs
>> attributes. Nothing in Documentation/hwmon/sysfs-interface really covers
>
> Definitely. This does not describe hardware.
>
>> this. dme1737.c has a pwmN_ramp_rate which would seem close to what I
>> want. Is there any other precedent I should follow?
>>
> There is pwmX_step but that does not describe a ramp rate in time.
> dme1737.c indeed seems to be the closest match. Nothing else I can think of.

I also found tempN_smoothing_enable and tempN_smoothing_time in
asc7621.c which lines up quite closely with the adt7475.

* Re: Enabling enhanced acoustics on adt7475
@ 2017-05-02  4:57     ` Guenter Roeck
From: Guenter Roeck @ 2017-05-02  4:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Packham; +Cc: linux-hwmon

On 05/01/2017 08:45 PM, Chris Packham wrote:
> On 02/05/17 07:16, Guenter Roeck wrote:
>> On Mon, May 01, 2017 at 08:45:14AM +0000, Chris Packham wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm looking at adding code to configure the enhanced acoustics on the
>>> ADT7475 and compatible devices.
>>>
>>> I'm wondering if I should be adding these as device-tree properties or
>>> as sysfs attributes. And in either case how these properties/attributes
>>> should behave. The main impact of this would be to provide a mechanism
>>> for configuring how fast the pwm output will change.
>>>
>>> The fact that I wrote "configuring" above makes me lean towards sysfs
>>> attributes. Nothing in Documentation/hwmon/sysfs-interface really covers
>>
>> Definitely. This does not describe hardware.
>>
>>> this. dme1737.c has a pwmN_ramp_rate which would seem close to what I
>>> want. Is there any other precedent I should follow?
>>>
>> There is pwmX_step but that does not describe a ramp rate in time.
>> dme1737.c indeed seems to be the closest match. Nothing else I can think of.
>>

> I also found tempN_smoothing_enable and tempN_smoothing_time in
> asc7621.c which lines up quite closely with the adt7475.

Your call.

Guenter