* [I-PIPE] ipipe-core-4.14.89-x86-2 released
@ 2018-12-21 13:32 xenomai
From: xenomai @ 2018-12-21 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xenomai

Download URL: https://xenomai.org/downloads/ipipe/v4.x/x86/ipipe-core-4.14.89-x86-2.patch

Repository: https://git.xenomai.org/ipipe-x86
Release tag: ipipe-core-4.14.89-x86-2

* Re: [I-PIPE] ipipe-core-4.14.89-x86-2 released
@ 2018-12-23 21:34 ` Alec Ari
From: Alec Ari @ 2018-12-23 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xenomai

Hello,

I'm not sure if the patch generator was believed to be fixed yet or not, but files for other arches (arch/arm/include/asm/arch_timer.h) are still included. If this still being worked on, disregard this message.

Alec

* Re: [I-PIPE] ipipe-core-4.14.89-x86-2 released
@ 2018-12-24 10:06   ` Philippe Gerum
From: Philippe Gerum @ 2018-12-24 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alec Ari, xenomai

On 12/23/18 10:34 PM, Alec Ari via Xenomai wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I'm not sure if the patch generator was believed to be fixed yet or not, but files for other arches (arch/arm/include/asm/arch_timer.h) are still included. If this still being worked on, disregard this message.

The upstream tree at https://gitlab.denx.de/Xenomai/ipipe-x86 still
exports I-pipe bits for multiple architectures (at least for x86 and
arm) but does not include scripts/ipipe/genpatches.sh, so the generator
does a plain diff, assuming a single-arch tree.

The ARM bits are likely left-overs and should be dropped to fix the tree.

--
Philippe.

* Re: [I-PIPE] ipipe-core-4.14.89-x86-2 released
@ 2018-12-27 16:17     ` Jan Kiszka
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2018-12-27 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philippe Gerum, Alec Ari, xenomai, Henning Schild

On 24.12.18 11:06, Philippe Gerum via Xenomai wrote:
> On 12/23/18 10:34 PM, Alec Ari via Xenomai wrote:
>> Hello,
>>

>> I'm not sure if the patch generator was believed to be fixed yet or not, but files for other arches (arch/arm/include/asm/arch_timer.h) are still included. If this still being worked on, disregard this message.
>>

> The upstream tree at https://gitlab.denx.de/Xenomai/ipipe-x86 still
> exports I-pipe bits for multiple architectures (at least for x86 and
> arm) but does not include scripts/ipipe/genpatches.sh, so the generator
> does a plain diff, assuming a single-arch tree.
>
> The ARM bits are likely left-overs and should be dropped to fix the tree.

Going through the commits, it seems we have a couple of ARM-only driver and
timer patches in the x86 tree but no general ARM enabling. Those should be
removed, indeed.

Jan

* Re: [I-PIPE] ipipe-core-4.14.89-x86-2 released
@ 2019-01-28 11:22       ` Jan Kiszka
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2019-01-28 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philippe Gerum, Alec Ari, xenomai, Henning Schild

On 27.12.18 17:17, Jan Kiszka via Xenomai wrote:
> On 24.12.18 11:06, Philippe Gerum via Xenomai wrote:
>> On 12/23/18 10:34 PM, Alec Ari via Xenomai wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>

>>> I'm not sure if the patch generator was believed to be fixed yet or not, but
>>> files for other arches (arch/arm/include/asm/arch_timer.h) are still
>>> included. If this still being worked on, disregard this message.
>>>

>> The upstream tree at https://gitlab.denx.de/Xenomai/ipipe-x86 still
>> exports I-pipe bits for multiple architectures (at least for x86 and
>> arm) but does not include scripts/ipipe/genpatches.sh, so the generator
>> does a plain diff, assuming a single-arch tree.
>>
>> The ARM bits are likely left-overs and should be dropped to fix the tree.
>>

> Going through the commits, it seems we have a couple of ARM-only driver and
> timer patches in the x86 tree but no general ARM enabling. Those should be
> removed, indeed.

In fact, the problem is imported from ipipe-noarch: There are many ARM-related
driver changes that, strictly spoken, do not belong into the noarch tree. Some
touch arch/arm, others just change drivers that are practically ARM-only.

Philippe, do we want to remove those commits from noarch and add them to ARM? Or
should we filter out arch-unrelated diffs when generating the patches?

Jan

* Re: [I-PIPE] ipipe-core-4.14.89-x86-2 released
@ 2019-01-28 15:18         ` Philippe Gerum
From: Philippe Gerum @ 2019-01-28 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Kiszka, Alec Ari, xenomai, Henning Schild

On 1/28/19 12:22 PM, Jan Kiszka wrote:
> On 27.12.18 17:17, Jan Kiszka via Xenomai wrote:

>>> The upstream tree at https://gitlab.denx.de/Xenomai/ipipe-x86 still
>>> exports I-pipe bits for multiple architectures (at least for x86 and
>>> arm) but does not include scripts/ipipe/genpatches.sh, so the generator
>>> does a plain diff, assuming a single-arch tree.
>>>
>>> The ARM bits are likely left-overs and should be dropped to fix the
>>> tree.
>>>

>> Going through the commits, it seems we have a couple of ARM-only
>> driver and timer patches in the x86 tree but no general ARM enabling.
>> Those should be removed, indeed.
>
> In fact, the problem is imported from ipipe-noarch: There are many
> ARM-related driver changes that, strictly spoken, do not belong into the
> noarch tree. Some touch arch/arm, others just change drivers that are
> practically ARM-only.
>
> Philippe, do we want to remove those commits from noarch and add them to
> ARM? Or should we filter out arch-unrelated diffs when generating the
> patches?

The drivers you mention are shared between different archs (several arm/
drivers are used by arm64) so instead of maintaining multiple copies,
all these drivers have  been merged into noarch eventually.

This is a patch generation issue for kernel series 4.14+, the easiest
way may be to provide an exclude file to the generator on a per-arch
basis. A filter rule excluding arm/ for anything but arm and arm64
should be enough. I'll have a look at this.

Please note that this does not apply to pre-4.14 trees; those should
provide scripts/ipipe/genpatches.sh as the legacy I-pipe series normally
does, which should filter contents appropriately.

--
Philippe.

* Re: [I-PIPE] ipipe-core-4.14.89-x86-2 released
@ 2019-01-28 15:31           ` Philippe Gerum
From: Philippe Gerum @ 2019-01-28 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Kiszka, Alec Ari, xenomai, Henning Schild

On 1/28/19 4:18 PM, Philippe Gerum via Xenomai wrote:
> On 1/28/19 12:22 PM, Jan Kiszka wrote:

>>> Going through the commits, it seems we have a couple of ARM-only
>>> driver and timer patches in the x86 tree but no general ARM enabling.
>>> Those should be removed, indeed.
>>
>> In fact, the problem is imported from ipipe-noarch: There are many
>> ARM-related driver changes that, strictly spoken, do not belong into the
>> noarch tree. Some touch arch/arm, others just change drivers that are
>> practically ARM-only.
>>
>> Philippe, do we want to remove those commits from noarch and add them to
>> ARM? Or should we filter out arch-unrelated diffs when generating the
>> patches?
>>

> The drivers you mention are shared between different archs (several arm/
> drivers are used by arm64) so instead of maintaining multiple copies,
> all these drivers have  been merged into noarch eventually.
>
> This is a patch generation issue for kernel series 4.14+, the easiest
> way may be to provide an exclude file to the generator on a per-arch
> basis. A filter rule excluding arm/ for anything but arm and arm64
> should be enough. I'll have a look at this.
>
> Please note that this does not apply to pre-4.14 trees; those should
> provide scripts/ipipe/genpatches.sh as the legacy I-pipe series normally
> does, which should filter contents appropriately.

Those files should not be part of noarch though:

 arch/arm/mach-imx/mach-imx51.c            |    5 +
 arch/arm/mach-imx/mach-imx53.c            |    5 +
 arch/arm/plat-omap/dmtimer.c              |   17 +-
 arch/arm/plat-omap/include/plat/dmtimer.h |    6 +

--
Philippe.

* Re: [I-PIPE] ipipe-core-4.14.89-x86-2 released
@ 2019-01-28 16:48             ` Jan Kiszka
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2019-01-28 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philippe Gerum, Alec Ari, xenomai, Henning Schild

On 28.01.19 16:31, Philippe Gerum wrote:
> On 1/28/19 4:18 PM, Philippe Gerum via Xenomai wrote:

>>> In fact, the problem is imported from ipipe-noarch: There are many
>>> ARM-related driver changes that, strictly spoken, do not belong into the
>>> noarch tree. Some touch arch/arm, others just change drivers that are
>>> practically ARM-only.
>>>
>>> Philippe, do we want to remove those commits from noarch and add them to
>>> ARM? Or should we filter out arch-unrelated diffs when generating the
>>> patches?
>>>

>> The drivers you mention are shared between different archs (several arm/
>> drivers are used by arm64) so instead of maintaining multiple copies,
>> all these drivers have  been merged into noarch eventually.
>>
>> This is a patch generation issue for kernel series 4.14+, the easiest
>> way may be to provide an exclude file to the generator on a per-arch
>> basis. A filter rule excluding arm/ for anything but arm and arm64
>> should be enough. I'll have a look at this.
>>
>> Please note that this does not apply to pre-4.14 trees; those should
>> provide scripts/ipipe/genpatches.sh as the legacy I-pipe series normally
>> does, which should filter contents appropriately.
>>

> Those files should not be part of noarch though:
>
>   arch/arm/mach-imx/mach-imx51.c            |    5 +
>   arch/arm/mach-imx/mach-imx53.c            |    5 +
>   arch/arm/plat-omap/dmtimer.c              |   17 +-
>   arch/arm/plat-omap/include/plat/dmtimer.h |    6 +

So these three should go:

a1edb318ad047d0582de66482efa3b76b30b6e1a
09cafa0ee6b1547133eee438c37c8703e70a88d1
5fc1baae9cc27adc771c67aee131993612e88ff2

There is also 9f33ef39090f5f100f056e208733fef2e02bd373, which also contains a
"FIXME" in the commit log.

If we get rid of these, there will be no further need for filtering of arch/.

Jan

* Re: [I-PIPE] ipipe-core-4.14.89-x86-2 released
@ 2019-01-28 17:15               ` Philippe Gerum
From: Philippe Gerum @ 2019-01-28 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Kiszka, Alec Ari, xenomai, Henning Schild

On 1/28/19 5:48 PM, Jan Kiszka wrote:
> On 28.01.19 16:31, Philippe Gerum wrote:

>>> The drivers you mention are shared between different archs (several arm/
>>> drivers are used by arm64) so instead of maintaining multiple copies,
>>> all these drivers have  been merged into noarch eventually.
>>>
>>> This is a patch generation issue for kernel series 4.14+, the easiest
>>> way may be to provide an exclude file to the generator on a per-arch
>>> basis. A filter rule excluding arm/ for anything but arm and arm64
>>> should be enough. I'll have a look at this.
>>>
>>> Please note that this does not apply to pre-4.14 trees; those should
>>> provide scripts/ipipe/genpatches.sh as the legacy I-pipe series normally
>>> does, which should filter contents appropriately.
>>>

>> Those files should not be part of noarch though:
>>
>>   arch/arm/mach-imx/mach-imx51.c            |    5 +
>>   arch/arm/mach-imx/mach-imx53.c            |    5 +
>>   arch/arm/plat-omap/dmtimer.c              |   17 +-
>>   arch/arm/plat-omap/include/plat/dmtimer.h |    6 +
>>

> So these three should go:
>
> a1edb318ad047d0582de66482efa3b76b30b6e1a
> 09cafa0ee6b1547133eee438c37c8703e70a88d1
> 5fc1baae9cc27adc771c67aee131993612e88ff2
>
> There is also 9f33ef39090f5f100f056e208733fef2e02bd373, which also
> contains a "FIXME" in the commit log.
>
> If we get rid of these, there will be no further need for filtering of
> arch/.

Actually, after a second look, if the idea is to strip anything an arch
does not use, there are many more commits to drop from arm64 and other
archs. Most of them live in drivers/irqchip and drivers/clocksource.
Either we go for a manifest of files to include, or an exclude filter.
genpatches.sh used to build the former dynamically, maybe this has to be
reinstated for 4.14+ eventually.

--
Philippe.

From: Philippe Gerum @ 2019-01-28 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Kiszka, Alec Ari, xenomai, Henning Schild

On 1/28/19 5:48 PM, Jan Kiszka wrote:
> On 28.01.19 16:31, Philippe Gerum wrote:

>>> The drivers you mention are shared between different archs (several arm/
>>> drivers are used by arm64) so instead of maintaining multiple copies,
>>> all these drivers have  been merged into noarch eventually.
>>>
>>> This is a patch generation issue for kernel series 4.14+, the easiest
>>> way may be to provide an exclude file to the generator on a per-arch
>>> basis. A filter rule excluding arm/ for anything but arm and arm64
>>> should be enough. I'll have a look at this.
>>>
>>> Please note that this does not apply to pre-4.14 trees; those should
>>> provide scripts/ipipe/genpatches.sh as the legacy I-pipe series normally
>>> does, which should filter contents appropriately.
>>>

>> Those files should not be part of noarch though:
>>
>>   arch/arm/mach-imx/mach-imx51.c            |    5 +
>>   arch/arm/mach-imx/mach-imx53.c            |    5 +
>>   arch/arm/plat-omap/dmtimer.c              |   17 +-
>>   arch/arm/plat-omap/include/plat/dmtimer.h |    6 +
>>

> So these three should go:
>
> a1edb318ad047d0582de66482efa3b76b30b6e1a
> 09cafa0ee6b1547133eee438c37c8703e70a88d1
> 5fc1baae9cc27adc771c67aee131993612e88ff2
>
> There is also 9f33ef39090f5f100f056e208733fef2e02bd373, which also
> contains a "FIXME" in the commit log.

This is a timer vs clocksource split for arm, this won't impact your
architecture.

--
Philippe.