* Can BB_HASHSERVE still take a 'host:port' value?
@ 2021-12-14 20:54 Michael Opdenacker
From: Michael Opdenacker @ 2021-12-14 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Greetings,

I'm trying to propose more details and updates to the documentation
about the Hash Equivalence topic.

Looking at the code, especially at
https://git.openembedded.org/bitbake/tree/lib/bb/cooker.py#n387, I'm
wondering whether BB_HASHSERVE can still take a 'host:port' value as the
current BitBake documentation says.

From what I've read so far, it seems to me that if BB_HASHSERVE ==
"auto", a local server is started using a UNIX socket, possibly tied to
a remote upstream server specified through BB_HASHSERVE_UPSTREAM.

The other pieces of code where I found BB_HASHSERVE don't seem to show
any use of a 'host:port' value either.

Am I right?

Thanks in advance,

Michael.

--
Michael Opdenacker, Bootlin
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering

* Re: [docs] Can BB_HASHSERVE still take a 'host:port' value?
@ 2021-12-14 22:11 ` Joshua Watt
From: Joshua Watt @ 2021-12-14 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Dec 14, 2021 at 2:54 PM Michael Opdenacker
<michael.opdenacker@bootlin.com> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I'm trying to propose more details and updates to the documentation
> about the Hash Equivalence topic.
>
> Looking at the code, especially at
> https://git.openembedded.org/bitbake/tree/lib/bb/cooker.py#n387, I'm
> wondering whether BB_HASHSERVE can still take a 'host:port' value as the
> current BitBake documentation says.
>
> From what I've read so far, it seems to me that if BB_HASHSERVE ==
> "auto", a local server is started using a UNIX socket, possibly tied to
> a remote upstream server specified through BB_HASHSERVE_UPSTREAM.
>
> The other pieces of code where I found BB_HASHSERVE don't seem to show
> any use of a 'host:port' value either.

BB_HASHSERVE can be one of:
 1) "auto" to automatically start a local hash server, optionally
using BB_HASHSERVE_UPSTREAM as the upstream
 2) HOST:PORT to connect to an existing hash server over TCP
 3) unix://PATH to connect to an existing hash server over a UNIX domain socket

> Am I right?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Michael.
>

> --
> Michael Opdenacker, Bootlin
> Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering
> https://bootlin.com

* Re: [bitbake-devel] [docs] Can BB_HASHSERVE still take a 'host:port' value?
@ 2021-12-15 14:00   ` Michael Opdenacker
From: Michael Opdenacker @ 2021-12-15 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Joshua,

On 12/14/21 11:11 PM, Joshua Watt wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 14, 2021 at 2:54 PM Michael Opdenacker
> <michael.opdenacker@bootlin.com> wrote:
>> Greetings,
>>
>> I'm trying to propose more details and updates to the documentation
>> about the Hash Equivalence topic.
>>
>> Looking at the code, especially at
>> https://git.openembedded.org/bitbake/tree/lib/bb/cooker.py#n387, I'm
>> wondering whether BB_HASHSERVE can still take a 'host:port' value as the
>> current BitBake documentation says.
>>
>> From what I've read so far, it seems to me that if BB_HASHSERVE ==
>> "auto", a local server is started using a UNIX socket, possibly tied to
>> a remote upstream server specified through BB_HASHSERVE_UPSTREAM.
>>
>> The other pieces of code where I found BB_HASHSERVE don't seem to show
>> any use of a 'host:port' value either.
> BB_HASHSERVE can be one of:
>  1) "auto" to automatically start a local hash server, optionally
> using BB_HASHSERVE_UPSTREAM as the upstream
>  2) HOST:PORT to connect to an existing hash server over TCP
>  3) unix://PATH to connect to an existing hash server over a UNIX domain socket

Thanks for confirming this.
However, when BB_HASHSERVE is set to "HOST:PORT", may I ask you were
this is implemented in the code?
Thanks again
Michael.

--

@ 2021-12-15 14:05     ` Joshua Watt
From: Joshua Watt @ 2021-12-15 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Dec 15, 2021 at 8:00 AM Michael Opdenacker
<michael.opdenacker@bootlin.com> wrote:

> Hi Joshua,
>
> On 12/14/21 11:11 PM, Joshua Watt wrote:
> > On Tue, Dec 14, 2021 at 2:54 PM Michael Opdenacker
> > <michael.opdenacker@bootlin.com> wrote:
> >> Greetings,
> >>
> >> I'm trying to propose more details and updates to the documentation
> >> about the Hash Equivalence topic.
> >>
> >> Looking at the code, especially at
> >> https://git.openembedded.org/bitbake/tree/lib/bb/cooker.py#n387, I'm
> >> wondering whether BB_HASHSERVE can still take a 'host:port' value as the
> >> current BitBake documentation says.
> >>
> >> From what I've read so far, it seems to me that if BB_HASHSERVE ==
> >> "auto", a local server is started using a UNIX socket, possibly tied to
> >> a remote upstream server specified through BB_HASHSERVE_UPSTREAM.
> >>
> >> The other pieces of code where I found BB_HASHSERVE don't seem to show
> >> any use of a 'host:port' value either.
> > BB_HASHSERVE can be one of:
> >  1) "auto" to automatically start a local hash server, optionally
> > using BB_HASHSERVE_UPSTREAM as the upstream
> >  2) HOST:PORT to connect to an existing hash server over TCP
> >  3) unix://PATH to connect to an existing hash server over a UNIX domain socket
>

> Thanks for confirming this.
> However, when BB_HASHSERVE is set to "HOST:PORT", may I ask you were
> this is implemented in the code?

"HOST:PORT" and "unix://" are handled by `create_server` in
bitbake/lib/hashserv/__init__.py

"auto" is handled by `handlePRServ` in
bitbake/lib/bb/cooker.py

@ 2021-12-15 14:23       ` Michael Opdenacker
From: Michael Opdenacker @ 2021-12-15 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12/15/21 3:05 PM, Joshua Watt wrote:

> "HOST:PORT" and "unix://" are handled by `create_server` in
> bitbake/lib/hashserv/__init__.py

Thanks, that allowed me to find the "parse_address()" that reads these
settings.
Cheers
Michael.