* b43 driver hang workaround
@ 2010-01-26  2:27 Eric Volker
From: Eric Volker @ 2010-01-26  2:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-wireless

Thought I'd post my workaround for the issue I've been experiencing. My
setup is as follows: Ubuntu 9.10 x86 and a BCM4318 in AP mode. Briefly,
I'd see a message in the logs about hardware encryption being disabled,
at which point my NIC would stop beaconing. Apparently turning off QoS
support remedies this problem. Putting this line into /etc/modules made
my wireless usable:

b43 qos=0

Obviously, QoS support is preferable to not, but I don't really need it
for my SOHO needs. Hopefully this will help someone else.

Eric

* Re: b43 driver hang workaround
@ 2010-01-26 11:39 ` Giuseppe Fontana
From: Giuseppe Fontana @ 2010-01-26 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Volker; +Cc: linux-wireless

2010/1/26 Eric Volker <evolker@gmail.com>:
> Thought I'd post my workaround for the issue I've been experiencing. My
> setup is as follows: Ubuntu 9.10 x86 and a BCM4318 in AP mode.

Hi Eric. So, if I'm not wrong, you successfully connected to a wi-fi
ad-hoc network with BCM4318 and Ubuntu 9.10. I tried with my Acer 5024
with CM4318 without success (if you want you can take a look at my
thread "Broadcom BCM4318 AirForceOne issue - Ubuntu 9.10 on Acer
Aspire 5024wlmi"). Are you using a laptop too? What's your wifi
adapter model?

* Re: b43 driver hang workaround
@ 2010-01-26 14:23   ` Eric Volker
From: Eric Volker @ 2010-01-26 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-wireless

Giuseppe Fontana <gfontana13@...> writes:

> 2010/1/26 Eric Volker <evolker@...>:
> > Thought I'd post my workaround for the issue I've been experiencing. My
> > setup is as follows: Ubuntu 9.10 x86 and a BCM4318 in AP mode.
>
> Hi Eric. So, if I'm not wrong, you successfully connected to a wi-fi
> ad-hoc network with BCM4318 and Ubuntu 9.10. I tried with my Acer 5024
> with CM4318 without success (if you want you can take a look at my
> thread "Broadcom BCM4318 AirForceOne issue - Ubuntu 9.10 on Acer
> Aspire 5024wlmi"). Are you using a laptop too? What's your wifi
> adapter model?

Sorry, I think I may have replied to this off-list. I'm using a BCM4318 PCI
card as an access point. I've got it in mixed wpa/wpa2 mode and have had it up
for a couple of days so far. It's a Bufflo card, though I'm not sure of the
exact model. It is in a desktop, a Dell Dimension 4550. Thus far it has vastly
outperformed my old DLink DIR-655. I'm quite happy, though it took me about a
wink to iron out several kinks. I also had to use "eapol_version=1" in
hostapd.conf to get everything working properly. If you need any further
details, please let me know.

Eric