* [Printing-architecture] IPP Shared Infrastructure Extensions (INFRA)
@ 2017-09-27 17:32 Alex Korobkin
From: Alex Korobkin @ 2017-09-27 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: printing-architecture

Hi all,

There is this interesting design of a cloud-like infrastructure called "IPP
Shared Infrastructure Extensions",
http://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/candidates/cs-ippinfra10-20150619-5100.18.pdf

Have you heard of anyone actually implementing that?

In general, I'm curious how people handle shared printers in the world of
public networks and no direct connection between a printer and a user's
device. That doc looks like an answer.

--
-Alex

* Re: [Printing-architecture] IPP Shared Infrastructure Extensions (INFRA)
@ 2017-09-27 17:58 ` Michael Sweet
From: Michael Sweet @ 2017-09-27 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Korobkin; +Cc: printing-architecture

Alex,

It was precisely written to address cloud and split-network infrastructure issues.  I did some (private) prototyping back when we did the spec, and some of that work is present in the current ippsample project maintained by the PWG/Apple at:

    https://github.com/istopwg/ippsample

I still haven't finished adding IPP INFRA support to the ippsample project yet (lack of time) but ultimately we want to have a more robust publicly-available sample implementation available to show how to do it efficiently.

(I believe there are some commercial "release printing" solutions coming that will use IPP INFRA as well, although nothing that has been released AFAIK...)

@ 2017-12-04 22:21   ` Alex Korobkin
From: Alex Korobkin @ 2017-12-04 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Sweet; +Cc: printing-architecture

Thank you Michael.

Is there a way for IPP/IPP Everywhere printer to pull jobs from print
server, instead of server pushing them to the printer? For example, we tell
the printer to periodically check this server/proxy for waiting jobs, so
that it could download and print them.

It seems like it would fit nicely into this IPP INFRA idea, but I don't see
it mentioned. I got an impression that the only method is to push jobs to
the printer (from Proxy or from a print server).

--

@ 2017-12-05  2:30     ` Michael Sweet
From: Michael Sweet @ 2017-12-05  2:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Korobkin; +Cc: printing-architecture

Alex,

That is exactly the point of IPP INFRA - the local Printer (in its Proxy role) fetches the jobs and documents from the Infrastructure (cloud) Printer.  The Proxy can either be part of the Printer or another network device the relays the fetched jobs to the local Printer.

@ 2017-12-05 16:36       ` Alex Korobkin
From: Alex Korobkin @ 2017-12-05 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Sweet; +Cc: printing-architecture

I see, thank you. Do you think it's possible for a printer manufacturer to
look at the doc and implement Proxy role part in printer firmware,
expecting someone else to implement the infra/cloud printer?

I'm thinking about a distant future where printers can be configured as
cloud/infra clients, and cloud or infra services are provided by various
companies, but everything is based on some common standard and can
interoperate just fine.

@ 2017-12-05 18:55         ` Michael Sweet
From: Michael Sweet @ 2017-12-05 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Korobkin; +Cc: printing-architecture