* (no subject)
@ 2010-10-29 12:01 Yihe Chen
From: Yihe Chen @ 2010-10-29 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux kbuild list

Where to find information or helping stuff or usage info on those config
tools, like conf/gconf etc.

* Re: config help
@ 2010-10-29 17:07 ` Randy Dunlap
From: Randy Dunlap @ 2010-10-29 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yihe Chen; +Cc: linux kbuild list

On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 20:01:55 +0800 Yihe Chen wrote:

> Where to find information or helping stuff or usage info on those config
> tools, like conf/gconf etc.

Begin with the README file in the top-level directory of the linux source tree.

For menuconfig:  use ?

For nconfig (in recent kernels):  use 1 or <F1>

For gconfig:  click on Help

For xconfig:  click on Help

There is also some help info in Documentation/kbuild/kconfig.txt .

---
~Randy

* Re: config help
@ 2010-10-30  1:24   ` Yihe Chen
From: Yihe Chen @ 2010-10-30  1:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Randy Dunlap; +Cc: linux kbuild list

> On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 20:01:55 +0800 Yihe Chen wrote:
>
>> Where to find information or helping stuff or usage info on those config
>> tools, like conf/gconf etc.
>

> Begin with the README file in the top-level directory of the linux source
> tree.
>
> For menuconfig:  use ?
>
> For nconfig (in recent kernels):  use 1 or <F1>
>
> For gconfig:  click on Help
>
> For xconfig:  click on Help
>
> There is also some help info in Documentation/kbuild/kconfig.txt .

/
First, thanks for your reply. I'm reanding scripts/kconfig/Makfile, and
tacking
notice of some options used with conf tool, like -r -y -n -m -d and -D.

Now I havn't a clear understanding on those meaning. I want to look some
text notice
about this. Though I could find info from scripts/kconfig/conf.c, I don't
want to
befoul my fingers by the fucking code currently.

* Re: config help
@ 2010-11-01 16:31     ` Randy Dunlap
From: Randy Dunlap @ 2010-11-01 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yihe Chen; +Cc: linux kbuild list

On 10/29/10 18:24, Yihe Chen wrote:
>> On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 20:01:55 +0800 Yihe Chen wrote:
>>
>>> Where to find information or helping stuff or usage info on those config
>>> tools, like conf/gconf etc.
>>

>> Begin with the README file in the top-level directory of the linux
>> source tree.
>>
>> For menuconfig:  use ?
>>
>> For nconfig (in recent kernels):  use 1 or <F1>
>>
>> For gconfig:  click on Help
>>
>> For xconfig:  click on Help
>>
>> There is also some help info in Documentation/kbuild/kconfig.txt .
>>
> /
> First, thanks for your reply. I'm reanding scripts/kconfig/Makfile, and
> tacking
> notice of some options used with conf tool, like -r -y -n -m -d and -D.

What kernel version are you looking at?  Something before 2.6.36 ?
I ask that because in 2.6.36 and later, the config command line tool only
uses long option strings (like --oldconfig), not short option strings
(like -o).

Anyway, in 2.6.35, scripts/kconfig/Makefile is fairly clear on those
short option strings:

-o	oldconfig
-s	silentoldconfig
-r	randconfig
-y	allyesconfig
-n	allnoconfig
-m	allmodconfig
-d	defconfig
-D filename	use filename as default configuration

--
~Randy

* Re: config help
@ 2010-11-01 17:41       ` Arnaud Lacombe
From: Arnaud Lacombe @ 2010-11-01 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Randy Dunlap; +Cc: Yihe Chen, linux kbuild list

Hi,

On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 12:31 PM, Randy Dunlap <randy.dunlap@oracle.com> wrote:
> Anyway, in 2.6.35, scripts/kconfig/Makefile is fairly clear on those
> short option strings:
>
> -o      oldconfig
> -s      silentoldconfig
> -r      randconfig
> -y      allyesconfig
> -n      allnoconfig
> -m      allmodconfig
> -d      defconfig
> -D filename     use filename as default configuration

This is no longer the case for 2.6.36. That part of `conf' has been
moved to long options. It points to the toplev README for more info
(which are not preset), but I don't think these low level options
description belong there.

I've got some patches in the area, that should not be long.

- Arnaud

* Re: config help
@ 2010-11-01 17:46         ` Randy Dunlap
From: Randy Dunlap @ 2010-11-01 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arnaud Lacombe; +Cc: Yihe Chen, linux kbuild list

On Mon, 1 Nov 2010 13:41:33 -0400 Arnaud Lacombe wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 12:31 PM, Randy Dunlap <randy.dunlap@oracle.com> wrote:
> > Anyway, in 2.6.35, scripts/kconfig/Makefile is fairly clear on those
> > short option strings:
> >
> > -o      oldconfig
> > -s      silentoldconfig
> > -r      randconfig
> > -y      allyesconfig
> > -n      allnoconfig
> > -m      allmodconfig
> > -d      defconfig
> > -D filename     use filename as default configuration
> >
> This is no longer the case for 2.6.36. That part of `conf' has been
> moved to long options. It points to the toplev README for more info
> (which are not preset), but I don't think these low level options
> description belong there.
>
> I've got some patches in the area, that should not be long.

Hi,
Did you read the part that you snipped:

<quote>
What kernel version are you looking at?  Something before 2.6.36 ?
I ask that because in 2.6.36 and later, the config command line tool only
uses long option strings (like --oldconfig), not short option strings
(like -o).
</quote>

---
~Randy

* Re: config help
@ 2010-11-01 18:08           ` Arnaud Lacombe
From: Arnaud Lacombe @ 2010-11-01 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Randy Dunlap; +Cc: Yihe Chen, linux kbuild list

Hi,

On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 1:46 PM, Randy Dunlap <randy.dunlap@oracle.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> Did you read the part that you snipped:
>
> <quote>
> What kernel version are you looking at?  Something before 2.6.36 ?
> I ask that because in 2.6.36 and later, the config command line tool only
> uses long option strings (like --oldconfig), not short option strings
> (like -o).
> </quote>

No, I did not, my bad, I should be too much context switching, leading
me to overlook important part, sorry :)

 - Arnaud