* Double free vulnerability in do_rename_gpt_parts
@ 2020-01-17 12:03 Jordy
From: Jordy @ 2020-01-17 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hello U-Boot lists!

I think I found a double free bug in U-Boot, in /cmp/gpt.c in the function do_rename_gpt_parts().

On line 702 the partition_list is being free'd if ret is smaller than 0.
If the return value is not -ENOMEM it will go to the out: label and free the partition_list again.

Double freeing may result in a write-what-where condition, allowing an attacker to execute arbitrary code.

My advice would be to not free the parition_list on line 702 as nothing is being done with it there afterwards anyway and leave your clean_up in the out: label :)

Kind Regards,

Jordy Zomer

* Double free vulnerability in do_rename_gpt_parts
@ 2020-01-17 15:29 ` Simon Goldschmidt
From: Simon Goldschmidt @ 2020-01-17 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

+ Some contributors of this file

On Fri, Jan 17, 2020 at 1:03 PM Jordy <jordy@simplyhacker.com> wrote:

> Hello U-Boot lists!
>
> I think I found a double free bug in U-Boot, in /cmp/gpt.c in the function do_rename_gpt_parts().
>
> On line 702 the partition_list is being free'd if ret is smaller than 0.
> If the return value is not -ENOMEM it will go to the out: label and free the partition_list again.

Reading the code, I can confirm that. Funny enough, the code in question was
introduced by commit 18030d04 ("GPT: fix memory leaks identified by Coverity").
Although I think Coverity should have detected the resulting double-free...

However, I'm not sure of the fix: the code just continues for -ENOMEM and then
goes on using partitions_list at line 757...

Regards,
Simon

@ 2020-01-17 16:31   ` Tom Rini
From: Tom Rini @ 2020-01-17 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Fri, Jan 17, 2020 at 04:29:52PM +0100, Simon Goldschmidt wrote:
> + Some contributors of this file
>
> On Fri, Jan 17, 2020 at 1:03 PM Jordy <jordy@simplyhacker.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hello U-Boot lists!
> >
> > I think I found a double free bug in U-Boot, in /cmp/gpt.c in the function do_rename_gpt_parts().
> >
> > On line 702 the partition_list is being free'd if ret is smaller than 0.
> > If the return value is not -ENOMEM it will go to the out: label and free the partition_list again.
>
> Reading the code, I can confirm that. Funny enough, the code in question was
> introduced by commit 18030d04 ("GPT: fix memory leaks identified by Coverity").
> Although I think Coverity should have detected the resulting double-free...
>
> However, I'm not sure of the fix: the code just continues for -ENOMEM and then
> goes on using partitions_list at line 757...

So, Coverity later did complain about that change (but not immediately,
funny enough).  I posted http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/1192036/ and
was hoping for a review on it as it's complex enough I'd like to avoid
adding a 3rd round of issues there.  Thanks!

--
Tom
* Double free vulnerability in do_rename_gpt_parts
@ 2020-01-17 16:42     ` Simon Goldschmidt
From: Simon Goldschmidt @ 2020-01-17 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Am 17.01.2020 um 17:31 schrieb Tom Rini:
> On Fri, Jan 17, 2020 at 04:29:52PM +0100, Simon Goldschmidt wrote:
>> + Some contributors of this file
>>
>> On Fri, Jan 17, 2020 at 1:03 PM Jordy <jordy@simplyhacker.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello U-Boot lists!
>>>
>>> I think I found a double free bug in U-Boot, in /cmp/gpt.c in the function do_rename_gpt_parts().
>>>
>>> On line 702 the partition_list is being free'd if ret is smaller than 0.
>>> If the return value is not -ENOMEM it will go to the out: label and free the partition_list again.
>>
>> Reading the code, I can confirm that. Funny enough, the code in question was
>> introduced by commit 18030d04 ("GPT: fix memory leaks identified by Coverity").
>> Although I think Coverity should have detected the resulting double-free...
>>
>> However, I'm not sure of the fix: the code just continues for -ENOMEM and then
>> goes on using partitions_list at line 757...
>
> So, Coverity later did complain about that change (but not immediately,
> funny enough).  I posted http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/1192036/ and
> was hoping for a review on it as it's complex enough I'd like to avoid
> adding a 3rd round of issues there.  Thanks!

Ah, yes. I've just responded there.

Regards,
Simon

* Double free vulnerability in do_rename_gpt_parts
@ 2020-01-17 17:23     ` Jordy
From: Jordy @ 2020-01-17 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hey Tom,

The patch looks good to me, I do agree with simon that you'd have to initialize the pointers to 0, because uninitialized pointers could contain garbage, unless it's a global variable (those are automagically initialized to 0).

Btw I really appreciate the fast and friendly responses, I've seen that different at other software packages thumbs-up for that!

Best Regards,

Jordy