* submodules for different deployment directories?
@ 2009-03-19  8:01 Shaun Cutts
From: Shaun Cutts @ 2009-03-19  8:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

Hello,

We are currently migrating from svn....

We have a growing project that is deployed differently in various
places. The deployment-specific stuff is in a subdirectory called
"deployment".

In svn, we used svn switch to point that subdirectory at a different
tag. Then "update" on the overall tree left alone the switched parts
at the various different installations. We could "push" changes in any
overall copy of the project and the differences between the switched
subdirectories would be immaterial.

It would seem (to me at least) that the equivalent functionality is
provided by "submodule" in git.

Accordingly I started a separate project with different branches
corresponding to the different deployment models.

I added this a submodule to the main project. In fact, we are thinking
of organizing some other things that differ by install this way, so I
made the actual directory a subdirectory of the "deployment" project,
which I "submodule added" to the various installations as a submodule
off the root repository, then used "ln -s"  to link that subdirectory
into the appropriate place in the overall tree. (Is this a mistake?)

However, I'm not sure its working right. It seems that the various
overall repositories differ, even if only really the submodule's
branch differs. Also a diff comes up with lots of differences between
the submodules's trees. (Aside: where is the branch of the submodule
written down in the overall module -- if you add with -b... is this
just "transient info"?) But I thought that the idea of submodules were
that they are opaque?

I would enjoy help figuring out what is going on. I would be most
grateful, however, to learn how I'm *supposed* to do in this situation.

-- Shaun Cutts

* submodules for different deployment directories?
@ 2009-03-19  8:33 Shaun Cutts
From: Shaun Cutts @ 2009-03-19  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

[...]

Shaun Cutts