* [RFC] - What's a build artifact?
@ 2014-04-16 10:25 Barros Pena, Belen
From: Barros Pena, Belen @ 2014-04-16 10:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: toaster

Our first go at Toaster was very much thinking of a local use case. From
1.7 we'll start focusing on the remote use case (this is a web application
after all, right?).

One of the things we need to add is the ability to download build
artifacts that have been produced (and are stored) on a remote build
server. This brings up the question: what is a build artifact? I mean:
what do you want to be able to download after a build?

Is it just rootfs files? Or is it also:

* cooker log
* task logs
* [your suggestion here]

Thanks!

Belén

* Re: [RFC] - What's a build artifact?
@ 2014-04-16 13:53 ` Paul Eggleton
From: Paul Eggleton @ 2014-04-16 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Barros Pena, Belen; +Cc: toaster

Hi Belen,

On Wednesday 16 April 2014 10:25:21 Barros Pena, Belen wrote:
> Our first go at Toaster was very much thinking of a local use case. From
> 1.7 we'll start focusing on the remote use case (this is a web application
> after all, right?).
>
> One of the things we need to add is the ability to download build
> artifacts that have been produced (and are stored) on a remote build
> server. This brings up the question: what is a build artifact? I mean:
> what do you want to be able to download after a build?
>
> Is it just rootfs files? Or is it also:
>
> * cooker log
> * task logs
> * [your suggestion here]

Well, I would confine build artifacts as far as the user is concerned to
deployed files; the interface for viewing logs would be separate even though
they might be collected in the same manner. However deployed files still covers
a number of different types of files:

* Rootfs / other filesystem images
* Kernel images
* Module tarballs
* Bootloader images (grub, u-boot, etc.)
* SDK installers
* Package files
* Firmware binaries?

People's own custom recipes may deploy other types of files as well (although
they are likely to be along similar lines).

Cheers,
Paul

--

Paul Eggleton
Intel Open Source Technology Centre

* Re: [RFC] - What's a build artifact?
@ 2014-04-16 17:38   ` Ravi Chintakunta
From: Ravi Chintakunta @ 2014-04-16 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Paul Eggleton', 'Barros Pena, Belen'
  Cc: 'toaster@yoctoproject.org'

I agree with Paul that logs can be separated from the build artifacts. I believe that logs would be of interest for a failed build and artifacts would be of interest for a successful build.

Build artifacts for download should include everything that is required for board bring up, application development and debugging, using the Eclipse ADT etc.

Thanks,
Ravi

@ 2014-04-18  2:25     ` Reyna, David
From: Reyna, David @ 2014-04-18  2:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ravi Chintakunta, 'Paul Eggleton', BARROS PENA, BELEN
  Cc: 'toaster@yoctoproject.org'

I would have added the projects "conf" files to allow a user to understand the project's configuration and/or clone it, but Belén's design has an import/export feature and that would appear to cover my use case.

As long as the build artifact class is extendible, then we can decide the fundamental list and still allow other adopters to extend as they see fit for their own purposes.

- David