* [Buildroot] orange-pi build not working
@ 2017-01-11 21:57 paul
From: paul @ 2017-01-11 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi ,

I did pull the current 'buildroot' from git, and did a build with the 2
configs provided for orange pi boards -
orangepi_pc_defcongfig
orangepi_one_defcongfig

Here are the results of testing for both types of builds -
1. The hdmi supports is not enabled - nothing comes on screen
2. The 'orange-pi' boards have dedicated serial port for boot logging;
the very first boot completes successfully - through the serial port I
am able to log-in as root, and run commands; for ex. 'uname -a' returns
'4.9.0' kernel;
3. After first reboot, and any other boot the board reaches to the point
of starting the kernel but does not go any further.

Here is the output from the serial port logging -
------------
Scanning mmc 0:1...

Found U-Boot script /boot.scr

reading /boot.scr

300 bytes read in 14 ms (20.5 KiB/s)

## Executing script at 43100000

reading zImage

3545792 bytes read in 189 ms (17.9 MiB/s)

reading sun8i-h3-orangepi-pc.dtb

13056 bytes read in 24 ms (531.3 KiB/s)

## Flattened Device Tree blob at 43000000

    Booting using the fdt blob at 0x43000000

    Using Device Tree in place at 43000000, end 430062ff

Starting kernel ...
----------------

Questions -
1. Why is the hdmi port not enabled?
2. Why does it boot completely only time, and then stops at 'Starting
kernel ...' ?

Thanks,
Paul.

* [Buildroot] orange-pi build not working
@ 2017-01-11 23:07 ` Peter Korsgaard
       [not found]   ` <5876E124.30603@sbcglobal.net>
From: Peter Korsgaard @ 2017-01-11 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

 > Hi ,
 > I did pull the current 'buildroot' from git, and did a build with the
 > 2 configs provided for orange pi boards -
 > orangepi_pc_defcongfig
 > orangepi_one_defcongfig

 > Here are the results of testing for both types of builds -
 > 1. The hdmi supports is not enabled - nothing comes on screen

That is expected. There is currently no support in the mainline Linux
kernel for the HDMI output on the H3 SoC used on these boards.

> 2. The 'orange-pi' boards have dedicated serial port for boot logging;
 > the very first boot completes successfully - through the serial port I
 > am able to log-in as root, and run commands; for ex. 'uname -a'
 > returns '4.9.0' kernel;
 > 3. After first reboot, and any other boot the board reaches to the
 > point of starting the kernel but does not go any further.

 > Here is the output from the serial port logging -
 > ------------
 > Scanning mmc 0:1...

 > Found U-Boot script /boot.scr

 > reading /boot.scr

 > 300 bytes read in 14 ms (20.5 KiB/s)

 > ## Executing script at 43100000

 > reading zImage

 > 3545792 bytes read in 189 ms (17.9 MiB/s)

 > reading sun8i-h3-orangepi-pc.dtb

 > 13056 bytes read in 24 ms (531.3 KiB/s)

 > ## Flattened Device Tree blob at 43000000

 >    Booting using the fdt blob at 0x43000000

 >    Using Device Tree in place at 43000000, end 430062ff

 > Starting kernel ...

So no output at all after this? It sounds like your kernel image has
somehow gotten corrupted. How did you reboot?

Does it work again if you rewrite sdcard.img to the SD card?

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard

@ 2017-01-12  8:36     ` Peter Korsgaard
From: Peter Korsgaard @ 2017-01-12  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi,

Please keep the buildroot list in CC so others can help as well.

>> So no output at all after this? It sounds like your kernel image has
>> somehow gotten corrupted. How did you reboot?
>
> I did multiple builds with 4.8 and 4.9 kernels - same result. The
> original/initial kernel is not corrupted because it boots ok.
> I did reboot by either -
> # reboot
> or, disconnect/connect power
> While power off/on may corrupt the sd card, 'reboot' cmd should not.

Funky, how are you powering the boards?

> People did report on the list of functioning orange-pi-pc and orange-pi-one
> boards.
> How did they find the boards working?

I do have an orangepi-pc board stacked away here, and it did work in
the past. I'll try to find time this weekend to retest.

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard

* [Buildroot] orange-pi build not working
@ 2017-01-12 15:14       ` Michaël Zweers
From: Michaël Zweers @ 2017-01-12 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi,

Sorry if this is unhelpful but have you told your kernel to use console ?

I can get the same results if  i dont set the console=... to uart in
boot argument on my imx7 board.

kind regards,
Micha?l

On 12-1-2017 09:36, Peter Korsgaard wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Please keep the buildroot list in CC so others can help as well.
>

>>> So no output at all after this? It sounds like your kernel image has
>>> somehow gotten corrupted. How did you reboot?
>>
>> I did multiple builds with 4.8 and 4.9 kernels - same result. The
>> original/initial kernel is not corrupted because it boots ok.
>> I did reboot by either -
>> # reboot
>> or, disconnect/connect power
>> While power off/on may corrupt the sd card, 'reboot' cmd should not.
>
> Funky, how are you powering the boards?
>
>> People did report on the list of functioning orange-pi-pc and orange-pi-one
>> boards.
>> How did they find the boards working?
>
> I do have an orangepi-pc board stacked away here, and it did work in
> the past. I'll try to find time this weekend to retest.

---

* [Buildroot] orange-pi build not working
@ 2017-01-12 18:57       ` paul
From: paul @ 2017-01-12 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello Peter ,

Regarding -
 > Funky, how are you powering the boards?
I use a cable - usb to power jack. This way is ok for powering and
booting with  images from the oragngepi.org - ubuntu,debian...
The vendor of the boards recommends using 5v/2a power supply.
Just to be sure it is not a powering issue I did use 5v/2a adapter but
the result is the same - stops after starting kernel.

Let me know the results of your test with orangepi .

Thanks, Paul.

@ 2017-01-12 20:11         ` paul
From: paul @ 2017-01-12 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello Micha?l ,

raspberry-pi and may be your imx7 board has a 'cmdline.txt' file in the
first fat partition where you specify - 'console=...' parameter.

However orange-pi does not have or use 'cmdline.txt' file in the first
fat partition.
There are 3 files -
boot.scr, sun8i-orangepi-pc.dtb, zImage

Besides, the orange-pi completes successfully the very first boot. Does
your imx7 board completes the very first boot without 'console=...'
parameter?

Paul.

@ 2017-01-19 15:06           ` paul
From: paul @ 2017-01-19 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi ,

I did find a solution to the one time boot for 'orange pi' boards.
In order to keep booting I did change through the build-root config -
- select 'linux headers' as '4.7.x'
- select 'kernel' as '4.7'

I made a build and did test - successfully booting multiple times.

Why do the builds with newer 4.8 and 4.9 kernels boot only 1 time?

I did not find the exact reason but here are some hypotheses -
- u-boot documentation (pretty old-2007) mentions 'boot-count'
parameter, used in making u-boot, and passing it to kernel
- u-boot documentation provides a source of a kernel driver to modify
boot count through the '/proc' ;

Paul.