* rust in SDK
@ 2021-11-24  7:59 Peter Bergin
From: Peter Bergin @ 2021-11-24  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-core

Hi,

I'm looking for information about how mature and tested it is to have
rust tools in the SDK. In README-rust.md [1] there is a phrase "Once the
Rust SDK support is added to oe-core..." which can be read that it is
not ready yet. In the first bullet "What works:" it states "-buildsdk
and -crosssdk" which I can't connect to oe-core terms.

I have suceeded to add rust tools to a SDK by adding
'TOOLCHAIN_HOST_TASK:append = "
packagegroup-rust-cross-canadian-${MACHINE}"' to my config. With this I
have succeeded to cross-compile the simplest hello-world example for
aarch64. Is this the way to go or is there work to do (reffering to
README info)?

Any information around rust and the status in oe-core are appreciated.

Thanks,
/Peter

* Re: [OE-core] rust in SDK
@ 2021-11-24  8:04 ` Alexander Kanavin
From: Alexander Kanavin @ 2021-11-24  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Bergin; +Cc: openembedded-core

Yocto is what you make it, and you shouldn't expect things to magically
happen if you wait for them.

If you are able to make rust work in SDK, adjust the docs, the readmes, add
the tests and examples, and send the patches, and then that's the new
status.

Alex

On Wed, 24 Nov 2021 at 08:59, Peter Bergin <peter@berginkonsult.se> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for information about how mature and tested it is to have
> rust tools in the SDK. In README-rust.md [1] there is a phrase "Once the
> Rust SDK support is added to oe-core..." which can be read that it is
> not ready yet. In the first bullet "What works:" it states "-buildsdk
> and -crosssdk" which I can't connect to oe-core terms.
>
> I have suceeded to add rust tools to a SDK by adding
> 'TOOLCHAIN_HOST_TASK:append = "
> packagegroup-rust-cross-canadian-${MACHINE}"' to my config. With this I
> have succeeded to cross-compile the simplest hello-world example for
> aarch64. Is this the way to go or is there work to do (reffering to
> README info)?
>
> Any information around rust and the status in oe-core are appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> /Peter

* Re: [OE-core] rust in SDK
@ 2021-11-24 10:34   ` Peter Bergin
From: Peter Bergin @ 2021-11-24 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Kanavin; +Cc: openembedded-core

Hi Alex,

On 2021-11-24 09:04, Alexander Kanavin wrote:
> Yocto is what you make it, and you shouldn't expect things to
> magically happen if you wait for them.
>
> If you are able to make rust work in SDK, adjust the docs, the
> readmes, add the tests and examples, and send the patches, and then
> that's the new status.
>
> Alex

I'm fully aware of this and would like to help out and send updates. As
I find the current docs a bit unclear I just seeks information if I'm on
the right path. How other people is doing this or if I'm the first one
exploring this task. I had no assumptions to let someone else fix this.

/Peter

* Re: [OE-core] rust in SDK
@ 2021-11-24 20:14 ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2021-11-24 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Bergin, openembedded-core

On 11/23/21 11:59 PM, Peter Bergin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for information about how mature and tested it is to have
> rust tools in the SDK. In README-rust.md [1] there is a phrase "Once the
> Rust SDK support is added to oe-core..." which can be read that it is
> not ready yet. In the first bullet "What works:" it states "-buildsdk
> and -crosssdk" which I can't connect to oe-core terms.
>
> I have suceeded to add rust tools to a SDK by adding
> 'TOOLCHAIN_HOST_TASK:append = "
> packagegroup-rust-cross-canadian-${MACHINE}"' to my config. With this I
> have succeeded to cross-compile the simplest hello-world example for
> aarch64. Is this the way to go or is there work to do (reffering to
> README info)?
>
> Any information around rust and the status in oe-core are appreciated.

SDK usecase would partially work but the relocatable part might have
issues since we have hacks to expand on install paths at SDK install
time which may not work out of box for rust compiler tools.

> Thanks,
> /Peter

* Re: [OE-core] rust in SDK
@ 2021-11-24 20:59   ` Randy MacLeod
From: Randy MacLeod @ 2021-11-24 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Khem Raj, Peter Bergin, openembedded-core, Anatol Belski
  Cc: Gowda, Naveen, Alexander Kanavin, Orling, Timothy T

On 2021-11-24 3:14 p.m., Khem Raj wrote:

> On 11/23/21 11:59 PM, Peter Bergin wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm looking for information about how mature and tested it is to have
>> rust tools in the SDK. In README-rust.md [1] there is a phrase "Once
>> the Rust SDK support is added to oe-core..." which can be read that it
>> is not ready yet. In the first bullet "What works:" it states
>> "-buildsdk and -crosssdk" which I can't connect to oe-core terms.
>>
>> I have suceeded to add rust tools to a SDK by adding
>> 'TOOLCHAIN_HOST_TASK:append = "
>> packagegroup-rust-cross-canadian-${MACHINE}"' to my config. With this
>> I have succeeded to cross-compile the simplest hello-world example for
>> aarch64. Is this the way to go or is there work to do (reffering to
>> README info)?
>>
>> Any information around rust and the status in oe-core are appreciated.
>>

> SDK usecase would partially work but the relocatable part might have
> issues since we have hacks to expand on install paths at SDK install
> time which may not work out of box for rust compiler tools.

Hi Peter,

The core rust/cargo toolchain works well. we're using it for librsvg
and in meta-oe, mozjs-91 and likely other places. I think Tim has work
underway (that I'm going to one day help with !! ) to uprev
python-cryptography [1].

I *still* haven't personally tested the SDK workflow so you're comments
on that are
appreciated. Back in Feb/2021 [2], Anatol was working with the SDK so
perhaps
he will have something to say about the current state of affairs.

Naveen has and is working through a several bugs so if you find
something, please
report it in the YP bugzilla: https://bugzilla.yoctoproject.org/

../Randy

[1]