* Adding new custom devices to Xen via QEMU
@ 2016-09-29 13:35 Jason Dickens
From: Jason Dickens @ 2016-09-29 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel

Hello,

My name is Jason Dickens and I'm a Research Scientist here at
GrammaTech. Some of our research involves securing hypervisors and we
have needed to add to and/or modify Xen. I have been successful in
modifying the source for various purposes, but my question now is about
devices. We have a custom device model implemented in QEMU which works
great with QEMU (on Intel) standalone and with KVM, however, we now want
access to it in Xen using the same modified QEMU build.
The only problem I seem to be having is getting Xen to send the MMIO
R/W's to QEMU. The device is being realized, but guest access to the
physical address range I expect to reference the device seem to go no
place. I see in the source calls such as "register_io_handler" that
other devices use to effect the EPT mapping. Is this what I need?
My main question is whether or not it is truly necessary to change Xen
itself in order to introduce new devices in Xen using QEMU, or is there
just a configuration setting? And what is the simplest way to have a
range of physical addresses access a custom QEMU device?

Thanks,
Jason