* btrbk question: Should I Prefer Fileserver-initiated Backups from Several Hosts (Instead of Each Host Sending to the Server)?
@ 2021-09-12 17:40 Dave T
From: Dave T @ 2021-09-12 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Btrfs BTRFS

Are btrbk-specific questions OK here?

I have a small LAN with a fileserver that should store backups from
each attached host on the LAN. What is the most efficient (performant)
way to do this with btrbk?

Each host (laptops, desktops and a few other devices) does hourly
local snapshots with btrbk. Once per day, I would like to send backups
of each volume on each device to the local fileserver. This has to be
done via SSH (as NFS isn't supported by btrfs send|receive, afaik).

The options I'm aware of from the btrbk readme
(https://digint.ch/btrbk/doc/readme.html) are:

1. host-initiated backup to the fileserver from each host

2. fileserver-initiated backups from all hosts

My guess is that the second option is preferred. Is that correct?

Assuming I use the second option, do I need to be concerned about it
initiating a backup on a host while that host is also performing a
local hourly snapshot?

What are the disadvantages of the  fileserver-initiated approach?

If one host is offline, will the backup procedure continue on with the
other hosts it can reach at that time?

Since deleting snapshots can potentially be a costly operation (in
terms of performance), should I split the process into two steps,
where one step would pull the backups from each host without any
deletions, and a second step would then prune the backups according to
configured retention policies?

How many backups (snapshots) can I safely retain for each host volume?
I would like to keep as many as possible, but I know there is a
threshold at which performance can become a problem.

I mount btrfs volumes on the **hosts** with these mount options:

    autodefrag,noatime,nodiratime,compress=lzo,space_cache=v2

And I have the systemd fstrim.service enabled.

The fileserver is a dedicated backup server, not a general-purpose
fileserver. I plan to use most of those same mount options. Do I need
the autodefrag option? Will autodefrag help or hurt performance in
this use-case? The following message from this list caused me some
confusion as I would have expected the opposite:

[freezes during snapshot creation/deletion -- to be expected? November
2019, 00:21:18 CET]

> So just to follow up on this, reducing the total number of snapshots and  increasing the time between their creation from hourly to once every six hours  did help a *little* bit.  However, about a week ago I decided to try an  experiment and added the "autodefrag" mount option (which I don't usually do  on SSDs), and that helped *massively*.  Ever since, snapper-cleanup.service  runs without me noticing at all!.

Are there any other recommendations?