* Whenever running nvme discover command, syslog shows warning messages
@ 2018-11-29  0:50 Ching-Chiao Chang
From: Ching-Chiao Chang @ 2018-11-29  0:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Whenever running nvme discover command, i.e., nvme discover --transport=rdma --traddr=10.10.0.4, syslog shows the following messages,
Nov 27 15:24:30 initiator-xxx kernel: [55897.822948] nvme nvme1: sqsize 128 > ctrl maxcmd 1, clamping down
Nov 27 15:24:30 initiator-xxx kernel: [55897.822956] nvme nvme1: new ctrl: NQN "nqn.2014-08.org.nvmexpress.discovery", addr 10.10.0.4:4420
Nov 27 15:24:30 initiator-xxx kernel: [55897.823213] nvme nvme1: Removing ctrl: NQN "nqn.2014-08.org.nvmexpress.discovery"
I was wondering if there is any way to avoid these warning messages?

OS: Ubuntu 16.04.5
Kernel: 4.18.5-041805-generic
nvme version 1.6.120.g5c8a

Thanks.
Andy

* Whenever running nvme discover command, syslog shows warning messages
@ 2018-11-29 17:01 ` James Smart
From: James Smart @ 2018-11-29 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11/28/2018 4:50 PM, Ching-Chiao Chang wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Whenever running nvme discover command, i.e., nvme discover --transport=rdma --traddr=10.10.0.4, syslog shows the following messages,
> Nov 27 15:24:30 initiator-xxx kernel: [55897.822948] nvme nvme1: sqsize 128 > ctrl maxcmd 1, clamping down
> Nov 27 15:24:30 initiator-xxx kernel: [55897.822956] nvme nvme1: new ctrl: NQN "nqn.2014-08.org.nvmexpress.discovery", addr 10.10.0.4:4420
> Nov 27 15:24:30 initiator-xxx kernel: [55897.823213] nvme nvme1: Removing ctrl: NQN "nqn.2014-08.org.nvmexpress.discovery"
> I was wondering if there is any way to avoid these warning messages?
>
> OS: Ubuntu 16.04.5
> Kernel: 4.18.5-041805-generic
> nvme version 1.6.120.g5c8a
>
> Thanks.
> Andy

no there's not - currently.

I find them worthwhile to see, as it hints at what the admin or
scripting is doing, as well as giving hints on when nvme? names may be
reallocated. I would not remove them for normal storage controllers.
Perhaps a discovery controller could be filtered out, but I still find
it useful.

-- james

* Whenever running nvme discover command, syslog shows warning messages
@ 2018-11-30  1:34   ` Sagi Grimberg
From: Sagi Grimberg @ 2018-11-30  1:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

> no there's not - currently.
>
> I find them worthwhile to see, as it hints at what the admin or
> scripting is doing, as well as giving hints on when nvme? names may be
> reallocated. I would not remove them for normal storage controllers.
> Perhaps a discovery controller could be filtered out, but I still find
> it useful.

We can filter it out for discovery controllers... I'm pretty indifferent
about it...

* Whenever running nvme discover command, syslog shows warning messages
@ 2018-11-30  2:40     ` Ching-Chiao Chang
From: Ching-Chiao Chang @ 2018-11-30  2:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

The reason I would like to avoid those messages is that when we put the nvme discover command in a loop, it generates a tons of those messages is syslog.

Thanks.

@ 2018-11-30 18:48       ` James Smart
From: James Smart @ 2018-11-30 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

but that's not normal, sounds like a test case.?? I wouldn't want to
lose a debuggable situation in the field because your test case made it
chatty.

@ 2018-12-04 22:27         ` Ching-Chiao Chang
From: Ching-Chiao Chang @ 2018-12-04 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,
It is not test case, we would like to run nvme discover in loop in an initiator, and whenever there is an NVMe volume can be attached, the the initiator can discover it and connect it automatically.

On the other hand, could I know why do the following logs shows when?running?nvme discover???what do the logs represent?
sqsize 128 > ctrl maxcmd 1, clamping down
new ctrl: NQN "nqn.2014-08.org.nvmexpress.discovery", addr 10.10.0.4:4420
Removing ctrl: NQN "nqn.2014-08.org.nvmexpress.discovery"

Thank you?very much.

@ 2018-12-05  1:25           ` James Smart
From: James Smart @ 2018-12-05  1:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12/4/2018 2:27 PM, Ching-Chiao Chang wrote:
> Hi,
> It is not test case, we would like to run nvme discover in loop in an initiator, and whenever there is an NVMe volume can be attached, the the initiator can discover it and connect it automatically.
seems a little wasteful, but ok.? Sounds like we should make the logging
be disabled, or maybe tunable.

> On the other hand, could I know why do the following logs shows when?running?nvme discover???what do the logs represent?
> sqsize 128 > ctrl maxcmd 1, clamping down
requested queue size (128) is bigger than what the device reports as max
number of commands it can actually process at one time on the queue - so
the transport is scaling back the size of the queue to be based on
maxcmd (why have bigger queues if the slots can't be used).? It's a
generic message for a new controller when the transport deviates from
its requested or default behavior.

> new ctrl: NQN "nqn.2014-08.org.nvmexpress.discovery", addr 10.10.0.4:4420
a new association with a subsystem, creating a new controller, was
created. the SUBNQN of the subsystem is the value in quotes, transport
target address follows...??? This too is spit out generically. By
looking at NQN, you can tell it's the well-known discovery controller
nqn.? And there's only one reason a connection was created with a
discovery controller - to download its discovery log, which is usually
part of a "nvme connect-all" or a dump of the discovery log. If it's a
connect-all, it'll usually be followed by a bunch of connect requests
made to regular storage controllers seen in the log.? So the fact that
someone is doing a connect-all to anything seen via the controller at
that address is interesting, and knowing what discovery controller at
what address drives what connect requests is also interesting. And if
there's new associations kicked off, there may be other messages, such
as a including duplicates (which typically aren't allowed through) or
may be busy's (as the controller is still in the process of connecting
when a new connect request was received).? Some of these can be errors,
but others aren't, but it give you and idea of what is being attempted
by the hints.? I've found it worthwhile to correlate these events vs
udev events, and you would likely see the same vs your loop interval.

> Removing ctrl: NQN "nqn.2014-08.org.nvmexpress.discovery"
indicates someone initiated a delete on the indicates SUBNQN.? And since
it's the discovery controller, its likely a hint that nvme cli
terminated the association after reading the logs, and the nvme?
instance number that was assigned to the controller could be reassigned
to a regular storage controller (assuming timing of teardown vs new
connect requests works out).?? It will point out long vs short lived
discovery controllers.

-- james

@ 2018-12-05 15:43           ` Keith Busch
From: Keith Busch @ 2018-12-05 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Dec 04, 2018@10:27:26PM +0000, Ching-Chiao Chang wrote:
> It is not test case, we would like to run nvme discover in loop in an
> initiator, and whenever there is an NVMe volume can be attached, the
> the initiator can discover it and connect it automatically.

Polling for infrequent events is silly. Can we get an asynchronous event
notification for this? I don't see any exiting events pointing back to
the discovery log page, so maybe there's a TP opprotunity here.

* Whenever running nvme discover command, syslog shows warning messages
@ 2018-12-05 20:25             ` Sagi Grimberg
From: Sagi Grimberg @ 2018-12-05 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> It is not test case, we would like to run nvme discover in loop in an
>> initiator, and whenever there is an NVMe volume can be attached, the
>> the initiator can discover it and connect it automatically.
>
> Polling for infrequent events is silly. Can we get an asynchronous event
> notification for this? I don't see any exiting events pointing back to
> the discovery log page, so maybe there's a TP opprotunity here.

There is already an existing ratified TP, and patches for both the
host and the target were submitted [1,2] (target got accepted), the host
part just needs some unification for FC and the rest of the transports.

[1]:
http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-nvme/2018-October/020232.html

[2]:
http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-nvme/2018-October/020246.html

* Whenever running nvme discover command, syslog shows warning messages
@ 2018-12-05 20:41               ` Keith Busch
From: Keith Busch @ 2018-12-05 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Dec 05, 2018@12:25:16PM -0800, Sagi Grimberg wrote:
> > > It is not test case, we would like to run nvme discover in loop in an
> > > initiator, and whenever there is an NVMe volume can be attached, the
> > > the initiator can discover it and connect it automatically.
> >
> > Polling for infrequent events is silly. Can we get an asynchronous event
> > notification for this? I don't see any exiting events pointing back to
> > the discovery log page, so maybe there's a TP opprotunity here.
>
> There is already an existing ratified TP, and patches for both the
> host and the target were submitted [1,2] (target got accepted), the host
> part just needs some unification for FC and the rest of the transports.
>
> [1]:
> http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-nvme/2018-October/020232.html
>
> [2]:
> http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-nvme/2018-October/020246.html

Cool, that's a better solution than culling the logs.

* Whenever running nvme discover command, syslog shows warning messages
@ 2018-12-11 17:30             ` Ching-Chiao Chang
From: Ching-Chiao Chang @ 2018-12-11 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you for your help, and thanks for your detailed information. I appreciate it.

Thanks!