* progress on fio --client
       [not found] <1632172196.8370296.1473801360706.JavaMail.zimbra@redhat.com>
@ 2016-09-13 22:43 ` Ben England
From: Ben England @ 2016-09-13 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fio; +Cc: Nick Dokos

Am now running with Jens patch "ignore SEND_ETA, if we can't fin a reply command ".   Thanks!  I was trying to solve it by increasing timeout.

I did the last commit on PR 241 to address the remaining comment.  If it looks ok to you, I would appreciate this being pulled in because it is important to distributed fio --client testing in order to get bandwidth/iops logs and latency histogram logs.    I have been testing it for about a week now with 900 workload generator threads across 7 hosts and it seems to work, especially now that assertion isn't firing because of above patch.

An unrelated minor problem - There are still a couple of threads that have trouble returning a fio histogram to the test driver, will look into that, but at least fio --client is getting almost all the logs now with PR 241, enough that meaningful stats can be generated.  Error messages are:

fio: failed decompressing log
fio: failed converting IO log

This doesn't happen for smaller numbers of workload generator threads.

-ben e

* Re: progress on fio --client
@ 2016-09-16 15:30   ` Jens Axboe
From: Jens Axboe @ 2016-09-16 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ben England, fio; +Cc: Nick Dokos

On 09/13/2016 04:43 PM, Ben England wrote:
> Am now running with Jens patch "ignore SEND_ETA, if we can't fin a
> reply command ".   Thanks!  I was trying to solve it by increasing
> timeout.
>
> I did the last commit on PR 241 to address the remaining comment.  If
> it looks ok to you, I would appreciate this being pulled in because it
> is important to distributed fio --client testing in order to get
> bandwidth/iops logs and latency histogram logs.    I have been testing
> it for about a week now with 900 workload generator threads across 7
> hosts and it seems to work, especially now that assertion isn't firing
> because of above patch.

Glad that works!

> An unrelated minor problem - There are still a couple of threads that
> have trouble returning a fio histogram to the test driver, will look
> into that, but at least fio --client is getting almost all the logs now
> with PR 241, enough that meaningful stats can be generated.  Error
> messages are:
>
> fio: failed decompressing log
> fio: failed converting IO log
>
> This doesn't happen for smaller numbers of workload generator threads.

That usually points to a bug in the compression or decompression
handling, so I'd probably look at that. We've had that in a few other
areas, you might want to look at the changelog and see the fixes for
those.

--
Jens Axboe