* [Printing-architecture] IPP(-over-USB) scanners - How to distinguish them from printers
@ 2015-05-11 16:11 Till Kamppeter
From: Till Kamppeter @ 2015-05-11 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Open Printing; +Cc: Kumar, Sanjay

Hi,

The HPLIP developers have found certain stand-alone scanners (not MF
devices) from HP for which on Ubuntu a CUPS queue got auto-generated.
Under their USB interfaces there are IPP interfaces suggesting that
these are IPP-over-USB scanners. Is there are way to distinguish IPP
printers from IPP scanners easily?

    Till

* Re: [Printing-architecture] IPP(-over-USB) scanners - How to distinguish them from printers
@ 2015-05-12  2:39 ` Michael Sweet
From: Michael Sweet @ 2015-05-12  2:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Till Kamppeter; +Cc: printing-architecture, Kumar, Sanjay

The non-IPP USB scanners will not respond to a Get-Printer-Attributes request.

@ 2015-05-12  2:41   ` Till Kamppeter
From: Till Kamppeter @ 2015-05-12  2:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Sweet; +Cc: printing-architecture, Kumar, Sanjay

On 05/11/2015 11:39 PM, Michael Sweet wrote:
> The non-IPP USB scanners will not respond to a Get-Printer-Attributes request.

And IPP-over-USB devices without print functionality, like these
stand-alone scanners?

@ 2015-05-12  3:17     ` Michael Sweet
From: Michael Sweet @ 2015-05-12  3:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Till Kamppeter; +Cc: printing-architecture, Kumar, Sanjay

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough; I meant the IPP USB devices that do not implement the IPP part... :) You can expect a 4xx response (usually 404 Not Found) if you try to POST to /ipp/print.