* ceph-resource-agents
@ 2012-02-16 20:12 Noah Watkins
From: Noah Watkins @ 2012-02-16 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-devel

On Ubuntu LTS 10.04, ceph-resource-agents package depends on resource-agents that seems to have not shown up until 11.10 so there is a dependency problem:

nwatkins@piha:~/Projects/ceph$ sudo apt-get install ceph-resource-agents
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
ceph-resource-agents is already the newest version.
You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these:
 ceph-resource-agents : Depends: resource-agents but it is not installable
                        Recommends: pacemaker but it is not going to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

Aside from that dependency problem, is it safe to completely omit the ceph-resource-agents package for a Ceph install?

-Noah

* Re: ceph-resource-agents
@ 2012-02-16 23:09 ` Sage Weil
From: Sage Weil @ 2012-02-16 23:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Noah Watkins; +Cc: ceph-devel

On Thu, 16 Feb 2012, Noah Watkins wrote:
> On Ubuntu LTS 10.04, ceph-resource-agents package depends on resource-agents that seems to have not shown up until 11.10 so there is a dependency problem:
>
> nwatkins@piha:~/Projects/ceph$ sudo apt-get install ceph-resource-agents
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> ceph-resource-agents is already the newest version.
> You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these:
>  ceph-resource-agents : Depends: resource-agents but it is not installable
>                         Recommends: pacemaker but it is not going to be installed
> E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).
>

> Aside from that dependency problem, is it safe to completely omit the
> ceph-resource-agents package for a Ceph install?

Yeah.  It just has the ocf resource agent hooks, which you probably don't
need.

That package is a recommends, right?  This doesn't break the ceph package
itself?

sage

* Re: ceph-resource-agents
@ 2012-02-16 23:13   ` Noah Watkins
From: Noah Watkins @ 2012-02-16 23:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sage Weil; +Cc: ceph-devel

On Feb 16, 2012, at 3:09 PM, Sage Weil wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Feb 2012, Noah Watkins wrote:
>
> That package is a recommends, right?  This doesn't break the ceph package
> itself?

I think so, but it does show up in the 10.04 repositories without its dependency being available via aptitude. I wan't sure if that is the expected behavior, or if it should only show up in 11.10 and later.

Thanks,
-Noah

* Re: ceph-resource-agents
@ 2012-02-17 12:45   ` Florian Haas
From: Florian Haas @ 2012-02-17 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-devel

On 02/17/12 00:09, Sage Weil wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Feb 2012, Noah Watkins wrote:
>> On Ubuntu LTS 10.04, ceph-resource-agents package depends on resource-agents that seems to have not shown up until 11.10 so there is a dependency problem:
>>
>> nwatkins@piha:~/Projects/ceph$ sudo apt-get install ceph-resource-agents
>> Reading package lists... Done
>> Building dependency tree
>> Reading state information... Done
>> ceph-resource-agents is already the newest version.
>> You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these:
>> The following packages have unmet dependencies:
>>  ceph-resource-agents : Depends: resource-agents but it is not installable
>>                         Recommends: pacemaker but it is not going to be installed
>> E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).
>>

>> Aside from that dependency problem, is it safe to completely omit the
>> ceph-resource-agents package for a Ceph install?
>
> Yeah.  It just has the ocf resource agent hooks, which you probably don't
> need.
>
> That package is a recommends, right?  This doesn't break the ceph package
> itself?

It's not even a recommends. Noah asked apt-get explicitly to install
ceph-resource-agents, and _that_ has a (correct) dependency on
resource-agents.

resource-agents is available even for 10.04 from the
ubuntu-ha-maintainers PPA for those who need them, btw.

Cheers,
Florian

--
Need help with High Availability?