* net-next: new CL45 regression
@ 2019-03-04 14:48 S-k, Shyam-sundar
From: S-k, Shyam-sundar @ 2019-03-04 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Heiner Kallweit; +Cc: netdev, Lendacky, Thomas, Florian Fainelli, David Miller

Hi Heiner,

We noticed that, the recent changes for CL45 in net-next tree causing regression on AMD platforms. The following is the commit:

3ce2a02 net: phy: marvell10g: check for newly set aneg

Now, I see that, this code is moved to phy-c45.c with newer commit

1af9f16 net: phy: add genphy_c45_check_and_restart_aneg

With this change, the link never comes up. Can you please a re-look once before it enters mainline?

Thanks,

Shyam

* Re: net-next: new CL45 regression
@ 2019-03-04 20:48 ` Heiner Kallweit
From: Heiner Kallweit @ 2019-03-04 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: S-k, Shyam-sundar
  Cc: netdev, Lendacky, Thomas, Florian Fainelli, David Miller

On 04.03.2019 15:48, S-k, Shyam-sundar wrote:
> Hi Heiner,
>
> We noticed that, the recent changes for CL45 in net-next tree causing regression on AMD platforms. The following is the commit:
>
> 3ce2a02 net: phy: marvell10g: check for newly set aneg
>
> Now, I see that, this code is moved to phy-c45.c with newer commit
>
> 1af9f16 net: phy: add genphy_c45_check_and_restart_aneg
>
> With this change, the link never comes up. Can you please a re-look once before it enters mainline?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Shyam

Hi Shyam,

thanks for the report. However the description quite vague, therefore I'd appreciate the following details:

- The mentioned patch affects Marvell 10G PHY's only. Could you please provide:
  - exact PHY model you're using
  - interface mode you're using
  - link speed you expect and advertised speeds from both sides

- Some details regarding "AMD platform" would be helpful. What kind of board is it?

- There's a known issue in genphy_c45_an_config_aneg(), however I'm not sure whether it could be related
  to your issue. Could you please test the following patch whether it fixes the issue for you?
  https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/1051291/

Heiner

* Re: net-next: new CL45 regression
@ 2019-03-05  3:07   ` S-k, Shyam-sundar
From: S-k, Shyam-sundar @ 2019-03-05  3:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Heiner Kallweit; +Cc: netdev, Lendacky, Thomas, Florian Fainelli, David Miller

Hi Heiner,

On 3/5/2019 2:18 AM, Heiner Kallweit wrote:
> On 04.03.2019 15:48, S-k, Shyam-sundar wrote:
>> Hi Heiner,
>>
>> We noticed that, the recent changes for CL45 in net-next tree causing regression on AMD platforms. The following is the commit:
>>
>> 3ce2a02 net: phy: marvell10g: check for newly set aneg
>>
>> Now, I see that, this code is moved to phy-c45.c with newer commit
>>
>> 1af9f16 net: phy: add genphy_c45_check_and_restart_aneg
>>
>> With this change, the link never comes up. Can you please a re-look once before it enters mainline?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Shyam
>>
> Hi Shyam,
>
> thanks for the report. However the description quite vague, therefore I'd appreciate the following details:
>
> - The mentioned patch affects Marvell 10G PHY's only. Could you please provide:
>   - exact PHY model you're using
Yes, we have on-board Marvell 88X3310 chip, which works as external PHY for AMD Ethernet controller.
>   - interface mode you're using
RJ45.
>   - link speed you expect and advertised speeds from both sides
Both advertised and link speeds are 1G SGMII

> - Some details regarding "AMD platform" would be helpful. What kind of board is it?
>
> - There's a known issue in genphy_c45_an_config_aneg(), however I'm not sure whether it could be related
>   to your issue. Could you please test the following patch whether it fixes the issue for you?
>   https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/1051291/

Thank you very much! This patch fixes the problem.

@ 2019-03-05  6:58     ` Heiner Kallweit
From: Heiner Kallweit @ 2019-03-05  6:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: S-k, Shyam-sundar
  Cc: netdev, Lendacky, Thomas, Florian Fainelli, David Miller

On 05.03.2019 04:07, S-k, Shyam-sundar wrote:
> Hi Heiner,
>
> On 3/5/2019 2:18 AM, Heiner Kallweit wrote:
>> On 04.03.2019 15:48, S-k, Shyam-sundar wrote:
>>> Hi Heiner,
>>>
>>> We noticed that, the recent changes for CL45 in net-next tree causing regression on AMD platforms. The following is the commit:
>>>
>>> 3ce2a02 net: phy: marvell10g: check for newly set aneg
>>>
>>> Now, I see that, this code is moved to phy-c45.c with newer commit
>>>
>>> 1af9f16 net: phy: add genphy_c45_check_and_restart_aneg
>>>
>>> With this change, the link never comes up. Can you please a re-look once before it enters mainline?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Shyam
>>>
>> Hi Shyam,
>>
>> thanks for the report. However the description quite vague, therefore I'd appreciate the following details:
>>
>> - The mentioned patch affects Marvell 10G PHY's only. Could you please provide:
>>   - exact PHY model you're using
> Yes, we have on-board Marvell 88X3310 chip, which works as external PHY for AMD Ethernet controller.
>>   - interface mode you're using
> RJ45.
>>   - link speed you expect and advertised speeds from both sides
> Both advertised and link speeds are 1G SGMII
>>
>> - Some details regarding "AMD platform" would be helpful. What kind of board is it?
>>
>> - There's a known issue in genphy_c45_an_config_aneg(), however I'm not sure whether it could be related
>>   to your issue. Could you please test the following patch whether it fixes the issue for you?
>>   https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/1051291/
>
> Thank you very much! This patch fixes the problem.

Great, thanks for the feedback. Patch has been applied to net-next few hours ago.

> -Shyam

Heiner