* [B.A.T.M.A.N.] ap_isolation issue
@ 2012-01-26 17:27 Andre Courchesne
From: Andre Courchesne @ 2012-01-26 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: b.a.t.m.a.n

Hi,

  We are trying to get OpenWRT with batman-adv 2011.4.0 to play nice using ap_isolation. However as soon as ap_isolation is turned on the meshed ap are not acessible anymore by our Linux firewall on which at least 1 ap node is physically connected. The following pastebin post shows the exact configuration and details:

	http://pastebin.com/2bghWLkp

  Any clues ?

  Thanks,

Andre

* Re: [B.A.T.M.A.N.] ap_isolation issue
@ 2012-01-26 19:13 ` Marek Lindner
From: Marek Lindner @ 2012-01-26 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The list for a Better Approach To Mobile Ad-hoc Networking

Hi,

>   We are trying to get OpenWRT with batman-adv 2011.4.0 to play nice using
> ap_isolation. However as soon as ap_isolation is turned on the meshed ap
> are not acessible anymore by our Linux firewall on which at least 1 ap
> node is physically connected. The following pastebin post shows the exact
> configuration and details:
>
> 	http://pastebin.com/2bghWLkp

how is the Linux firewall connected to batman-adv-AP#1 ? Via eth0 ?
Can you please also add the output of "batctl if" and "batctl sn" on all
devices ?

What happens if you disable the bridge loop avoidance ? Does it have any
effect ?

You are implying that disabling and then re-enabling the ap isolation also
fixes the "ping problem" ?

Regards,
Marek

* Re: [B.A.T.M.A.N.] ap_isolation issue
@ 2012-01-26 19:44   ` Andre Courchesne
From: Andre Courchesne @ 2012-01-26 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The list for a Better Approach To Mobile Ad-hoc Networking

Ok, I have added the requested information to the pastebin:

	http://pastebin.com/dpF4cp8t

> You are implying that disabling and then re-enabling the ap isolation also
> fixes the "ping problem" ?

Yes, I see the configmation in the logs that ap_isolation was turned on but contrary to 'cold boot' condition where ap_isolation is on, the ping works when doing a disable/enable cycle.

> What happens if you disable the bridge loop avoidance ? Does it have any
> effect ?

I'll test that and report.

@ 2012-01-26 20:39   ` Andre Courchesne
From: Andre Courchesne @ 2012-01-26 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The list for a Better Approach To Mobile Ad-hoc Networking

Sorry for the reply on the other post, getting tired I guess...

So...

Ok, disabling loop avoidance has no effect.

Has ap_isolation been tested in this type of scenario?

@ 2012-01-26 20:45     ` Marek Lindner
From: Marek Lindner @ 2012-01-26 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The list for a Better Approach To Mobile Ad-hoc Networking

On Friday, January 27, 2012 04:39:24 Andre Courchesne wrote:
> Sorry for the reply on the other post, getting tired I guess...
>

> So...
>
> Ok, disabling loop avoidance has no effect.
>
> Has ap_isolation been tested in this type of scenario?

Antonio is the real expert on the AP isolation but judging your debug output
I'd say the AP isolation has nothing to do with your problem. Also, the
disable/enable action seems to point into the same direction.

The AP isolation only drops packets from wireless clients. You should see a
"W" in the flags section of the "batctl tg" dump:
02:69:fe:45:a3:cf  (  1) via ae:86:74:01:b4:94     (  2)   [...]
Try connecting with a wireless device and you will see it. Unless we have a
bug the traffic from the linux firewall should not be dropped (I see no W).

You could get packet dumps to find out where the pings are dropped. Maybe that
brings us closer to understanding what is going on.

Regards,
Marek

* Re: [B.A.T.M.A.N.] ap_isolation issue
@ 2012-01-26 21:46       ` Andre Courchesne
From: Andre Courchesne @ 2012-01-26 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The list for a Better Approach To Mobile Ad-hoc Networking

Ok, did a bit of tcpdump and my test was the following:

	tcpdump running on the linux firewall on the NIC (5.0.0.1) where AP#1 is connected.

From the linux server I ping AP#1 (T004) and as expected I see:

16:37:38.013775 arp who-has 5.0.0.1 tell T004
16:37:38.013792 arp reply 5.0.0.1 is-at 00:0e:2e:bd:d7:88 (oui Unknown)
16:37:39.010099 IP 5.0.0.1 > T004: ICMP echo request, id 22020, seq 24, length 64
16:37:39.010345 IP T004 > 5.0.0.1: ICMP echo reply, id 22020, seq 24, length 64

Pinging AP#2 (T003), I only get:

16:39:05.165998 arp who-has T003 tell 5.0.0.1

But there are no arp replies.

If I disable ap_isolation on AP#1, and make sure I do not have T003 in the arp table it finally gets it but takes a bit:

[root@andre-test~]# ping T003
PING T003 (5.1.180.144) 56(84) bytes of data.
From 5.0.0.1 icmp_seq=2 Destination Host Unreachable
From 5.0.0.1 icmp_seq=3 Destination Host Unreachable
From 5.0.0.1 icmp_seq=4 Destination Host Unreachable
From 5.0.0.1 icmp_seq=6 Destination Host Unreachable
From 5.0.0.1 icmp_seq=7 Destination Host Unreachable
From 5.0.0.1 icmp_seq=8 Destination Host Unreachable
From 5.0.0.1 icmp_seq=10 Destination Host Unreachable
From 5.0.0.1 icmp_seq=11 Destination Host Unreachable
From 5.0.0.1 icmp_seq=12 Destination Host Unreachable
From 5.0.0.1 icmp_seq=15 Destination Host Unreachable
From 5.0.0.1 icmp_seq=16 Destination Host Unreachable
From 5.0.0.1 icmp_seq=19 Destination Host Unreachable
From 5.0.0.1 icmp_seq=20 Destination Host Unreachable
64 bytes from T003 (5.1.180.144): icmp_seq=23 ttl=64 time=4.84 ms
64 bytes from T003 (5.1.180.144): icmp_seq=24 ttl=64 time=2.91 ms
64 bytes from T003 (5.1.180.144): icmp_seq=25 ttl=64 time=2.53 ms
64 bytes from T003 (5.1.180.144): icmp_seq=26 ttl=64 time=1.47 ms
64 bytes from T003 (5.1.180.144): icmp_seq=27 ttl=64 time=1.50 ms
64 bytes from T003 (5.1.180.144): icmp_seq=28 ttl=64 time=1.46 ms
64 bytes from T003 (5.1.180.144): icmp_seq=29 ttl=64 time=1.47 ms

With the tcp dump traces:
16:44:38.378149 arp who-has 5.0.0.1 tell T003
16:44:38.378215 arp reply 5.0.0.1 is-at 00:0e:2e:bd:d7:88 (oui Unknown)

@ 2012-01-27 13:36         ` Antonio Quartulli
From: Antonio Quartulli @ 2012-01-27 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The list for a Better Approach To Mobile Ad-hoc Networking

Hello Andre,

On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 04:46:44 -0500, Andre Courchesne wrote:
> Ok, did a bit of tcpdump and my test was the following:

[cut]

Thank you for reporting this issue and sending us the dumps.
Actually it is very hard to link the ap isolation mechanism to this problem.

First of all I would like to make a simple test. Please, could you use dump
packets received on T003 and see if the ARP request (the first one that receives no reply)
reaches the node (T003)?

In particular I would
suggest you to use wireshark (it can parse batman packets) and to sniff at the
same time packets either from the physical interface used by the mesh (I'd say wlan0)
and bat0.

Then tell us if you see the ARP request on both interfaces, on wlan0 only or on none
of them.

Another question, why are you using the bridge loop avoidance? If possible I
would like you to disable any optional feature you have in order to have the
cleanest testbed possible. I know that you already tried to disable it without
effect, but it is better to perform test without any other "noise".

Cheers,

--
Antonio Quartulli

..each of us alone is worth nothing..
Ernesto "Che" Guevara

* Re: [B.A.T.M.A.N.] ap_isolation issue
@ 2012-01-27 14:30           ` Andre Courchesne
From: Andre Courchesne @ 2012-01-27 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The list for a Better Approach To Mobile Ad-hoc Networking

Hi Antonio,

  Thanks for the reply. I will attempt these tests today and provide you as much feedback as possible.

  We are using loop avoidance because in some (if not all) installations we will be doing there will be multiple AP wired to the same network to provide redundancy. And if we move to LoopAvoidance-II if I understand correctlt if should also provide bandwidth balancing correct ?

@ 2012-01-27 14:45             ` Antonio Quartulli
From: Antonio Quartulli @ 2012-01-27 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The list for a Better Approach To Mobile Ad-hoc Networking

On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 09:30:05AM -0500, Andre Courchesne wrote:
> Hi Antonio,
>
>   Thanks for the reply. I will attempt these tests today and provide you as much feedback as possible.

Thank you.

>   We are using loop avoidance because in some (if not all) installations we will be doing there will be multiple AP wired to the same network to provide redundancy. And if we move to LoopAvoidance-II if I understand correctlt if should also provide bandwidth balancing correct ?

it depends on what you mean. Incoming traffic will enter the LAN through the "best"
(depending on the TQ) node. While the current implementation, IIRC, provides
only one fixed entry point. But please, don't mix topic :)

Cheers,

--

@ 2012-01-31 21:37               ` Andre Courchesne
From: Andre Courchesne @ 2012-01-31 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The list for a Better Approach To Mobile Ad-hoc Networking

FYI, I am forces to put my OpenWRT/batman-adv developement on hold till probably end of March. A new project is taking over the priority. SO I may ping you guys back than.

Thanks for all the help.