* Yocto Project Status WW09’17
@ 2017-02-27 16:59 Jolley, Stephen K
From: Jolley, Stephen K @ 2017-02-27 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto, openembedded-core

Current Dev Position: YP 2.3 M3

Next Deadline: YP 2.3 M3 by Feb. 27, 2017

*** FEATURE FREEZE for 2.3 is now in effect. ***

SWAT team rotation: Anibal -> Todor on Feb. 24, 2017.

SWAT team rotation: Todor -> Tracy on Mar. 4, 2017.

https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Yocto_Build_Failure_Swat_Team

Key Status/Updates:

·        We’re now into feature freeze for 2.3.

·        We need to decide which recently submitted items should be merged. Some major items In particular:

o   rpm v4/dnf to replace rpm v5/smart?

o   Merging go into OE-Core?

o   Separate out elderly GPLv2 into a separate layer?

o   Graphics stack vulkan changes?

o   Large queue of wic changes?

I am leaning towards trying to take these even if they do delay the M3 release slightly as we do have some time left in M4 to stabilize.

·        Unfortunately we continue to have stability issues in testing. There appear to be some intermittent failures which have crept into master and M3 merging will likely be delayed until those issues have been tracked down. They seem to affect sdk image size, breaking the 4GB limit and eSDKs stopping containing libxml2 under unknown circumstances, possibly amongst other issues.

·        YP 2.2.1 has been released

Proposed upcoming dot releases:

YP 2.1.3 Cut off May 15, 2017

YP 2.1.3 Release by May 26, 2017

YP 2.2.2 Cut off May 29, 2017

YP 2.2.2 Release by June 9, 2017

Key YP 2.3 Dates:

YP 2.3 M3 Cutoff is Feb 27, 2017

YP 2.3 M3 Release is Mar. 10, 2017

YP 2.3 M4 Cutoff is April 10, 2017

YP 2.3 M4 Release is May 5, 2017

Tracking Metrics:

            WDD 2747 (last week 2682)

(https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/charts/combo.html)

Key Status Links for YP:

https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Yocto_Project_v2.3_Status

https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Yocto_2.3_Schedule

https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Yocto_2.3_Features

[If anyone has suggestions for other information you’d like to see on this weekly status update, let us know!]
Thanks,

Stephen K. Jolley
Yocto Project Program Manager
INTEL, MS JF1-255, 2111 N.E. 25th Avenue, Hillsboro, OR 97124
•   Work Telephone:        (503) 712-0534
•    Cell:               (208) 244-4460
• Email:                            stephen.k.jolley@intel.com

* Re: [OE-core] Yocto Project Status WW09’17
@ 2017-02-28  2:09   ` akuster808
From: akuster808 @ 2017-02-28  2:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jolley, Stephen K, yocto, openembedded-core

On 02/27/2017 08:59 AM, Jolley, Stephen K wrote:

> Current Dev Position: YP 2.3 M3
>
> Next Deadline: YP 2.3 M3 by Feb. 27, 2017
>
> *** FEATURE FREEZE for 2.3 is now in effect. ***
>
> SWAT team rotation: Anibal -> Todor on Feb. 24, 2017.
>
> SWAT team rotation: Todor -> Tracy on Mar. 4, 2017.
>
> https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Yocto_Build_Failure_Swat_Team
>
> Key Status/Updates:
>
> ·We’re now into feature freeze for 2.3.
>
> ·We need to decide which recently submitted items should be merged.
> Some major items In particular:
>
> orpm v4/dnf to replace rpm v5/smart?

IMHO, we should include dnf in 2.3 so folks can start playing with it
and remove smart in 2.4.

> oMerging go into OE-Core?
>
> oSeparate out elderly GPLv2 into a separate layer?

yes, but maybe not for 2.3 if its a large effort.

> oGraphics stack vulkan changes?

The "Go" changes hit before the vulkan. Both should have the same rules
applied which ever way the decision goes.

> oLarge queue of wic changes?
>
> I am leaning towards trying to take these even if they do delay the M3
> release slightly as we do have some time left in M4 to stabilize.
>
> ·Unfortunately we continue to have stability issues in testing. There
> appear to be some intermittent failures which have crept into master
> and M3 merging will likely be delayed until those issues have been
> tracked down. They seem to affect sdk image size, breaking the 4GB
> limit and eSDKs stopping containing libxml2 under unknown
> circumstances, possibly amongst other issues.
>
> ·YP 2.2.1 has been released

thanks to all that help.

> Proposed upcoming dot releases:
>
> YP 2.1.3 Cut off May 15, 2017
>
> YP 2.1.3 Release by May 26, 2017
>
> YP 2.2.2 Cut off May 29, 2017
>
> YP 2.2.2 Release by June 9, 2017

I like the dot release schedule. Helps me focus.

kind regards,
Armin

From: akuster808 @ 2017-02-28  2:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jolley, Stephen K, yocto, openembedded-core

On 02/27/2017 08:59 AM, Jolley, Stephen K wrote:

> Current Dev Position: YP 2.3 M3
>
> Next Deadline: YP 2.3 M3 by Feb. 27, 2017
>
> *** FEATURE FREEZE for 2.3 is now in effect. ***
>
> SWAT team rotation: Anibal -> Todor on Feb. 24, 2017.
>
> SWAT team rotation: Todor -> Tracy on Mar. 4, 2017.
>
> https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Yocto_Build_Failure_Swat_Team
>
> Key Status/Updates:
>
> ·We’re now into feature freeze for 2.3.
>
> ·We need to decide which recently submitted items should be merged.
> Some major items In particular:
>
> orpm v4/dnf to replace rpm v5/smart?

IMHO, we should include dnf in 2.3 so folks can start playing with it
and remove smart in 2.4.

> oMerging go into OE-Core?
>
> oSeparate out elderly GPLv2 into a separate layer?

yes, but maybe not for 2.3 if its a large effort.

> oGraphics stack vulkan changes?

The "Go" changes hit before the vulkan. Both should have the same rules
applied which ever way the decision goes.

> oLarge queue of wic changes?
>
> I am leaning towards trying to take these even if they do delay the M3
> release slightly as we do have some time left in M4 to stabilize.
>
> ·Unfortunately we continue to have stability issues in testing. There
> appear to be some intermittent failures which have crept into master
> and M3 merging will likely be delayed until those issues have been
> tracked down. They seem to affect sdk image size, breaking the 4GB
> limit and eSDKs stopping containing libxml2 under unknown
> circumstances, possibly amongst other issues.
>
> ·YP 2.2.1 has been released

thanks to all that help.

@ 2017-02-28  8:55     ` Alexander Kanavin
From: Alexander Kanavin @ 2017-02-28  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: akuster808, Jolley, Stephen K, yocto, openembedded-core

On 02/28/2017 04:09 AM, akuster808 wrote:
 >> o   rpm v4/dnf to replace rpm v5/smart?
 >>
 > IMHO, we should include dnf in 2.3 so folks can start playing with it
 > and remove smart in 2.4.

Apologies, but there will not be a transitional period for this. Making
smart and dnf coexist is hard and will require months of work. Anyone
who wants to play with dnf, can do it now:

https://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/poky-contrib/log/?h=akanavin/dnf-rpm4

Alex

From: Alexander Kanavin @ 2017-02-28  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: akuster808, Jolley, Stephen K, yocto, openembedded-core

@ 2017-02-28  9:20     ` Burton, Ross
From: Burton, Ross @ 2017-02-28  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: akuster808; +Cc: yocto, openembedded-core

On 28 February 2017 at 02:09, akuster808 <akuster808@gmail.com> wrote:

> o   rpm v4/dnf to replace rpm v5/smart?
>
> IMHO, we should include dnf in 2.3 so folks can start playing with it and
> remove smart in 2.4.

Not possible: dnf requires rpm4.  In the current work there is no attempt
at letting the user pick rpm4 or rpm5.

Personally I think we should leave this for 2.4M1.  It's a major change and
needs many eyes.

> o   Separate out elderly GPLv2 into a separate layer?
>
> yes, but maybe not for 2.3 if its a large effort.

I suspect for 2.3 this would be a matter of moving a few recipes into
another layer, which for testing purposes the autobuilder always includes.
So that should just be a matter of move recipes, layer version bump, update
autobuilder to conditionally fetch the layer.

o   Graphics stack vulkan changes?

> The "Go" changes hit before the vulkan. Both should have the same rules
> applied which ever way the decision goes.

They should be considered independently.

Vulkan current requires a development snapshot of Mesa, needs tweaking of
PACKAGECONFIG, and the only supported BSP doesn't work out of the box.
Seeing it work is a great step forward but there's many open questions and
whilst I'd love to put "Vulkan support" on the 2.3 release notes I'm not
yet convinced we're ready.  I guess it comes down to how long it takes the
current queue to stabilise: the current fire is over the testing of minimal
eSDKs.

Ross

From: Burton, Ross @ 2017-02-28  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: akuster808; +Cc: yocto, openembedded-core