* [Intel-wired-lan] IPSec offload - ixgbe/i40e ..
@ 2017-10-15 15:12 Avi Cohen
From: Avi Cohen @ 2017-10-15 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: intel-wired-lan

Hi,
These Intel  NIC's:  X540, 82599, I40E - supports IPsec offload
But I don't see that the drivers  supplied by Intel - handle it (??)
Can someone tell if this is supported somewhere ?
Best Regards
Avi

* [Intel-wired-lan] IPSec offload - ixgbe/i40e ..
@ 2017-10-16  0:14 ` Alexander Duyck
From: Alexander Duyck @ 2017-10-16  0:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: intel-wired-lan

On Sun, Oct 15, 2017 at 8:12 AM, Avi Cohen (A) <avi.cohen@huawei.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> These Intel  NIC's:  X540, 82599, I40E - supports IPsec offload

X540 and 82599 are Ethernet Silicon, but i40e is just a driver. I
assume you mean X710 or one of the parts in that product family. Last
I knew the X710 and XL710 do not support ipsec, only the 82599 and
X540.

> But I don't see that the drivers  supplied by Intel - handle it (??)
> Can someone tell if this is supported somewhere ?
> Best Regards
> Avi

As far as I am aware there aren't currently any drivers available for
Linux that support ipsec offload on the X540 or 82599.

- Alex

* [Intel-wired-lan] IPSec offload - ixgbe/i40e ..
@ 2017-10-16  6:47   ` Avi Cohen
From: Avi Cohen @ 2017-10-16  6:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: intel-wired-lan

[Avi Cohen (A)]
Yes Alex - I meant the X710 family

> > But I don't see that the drivers  supplied by Intel - handle it (??)
> > Can someone tell if this is supported somewhere ?
> > Best Regards
> > Avi
>
> As far as I am aware there aren't currently any drivers available for Linux that
> support ipsec offload on the X540 or 82599.
[Avi Cohen (A)]
I saw that these drivers are called 'base drivers' - are there other 'enhanced' drivers for linux that do support the IPSec offload ?
Best Regards
Avi

@ 2017-10-16 14:18     ` Alexander Duyck
From: Alexander Duyck @ 2017-10-16 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: intel-wired-lan

On Sun, Oct 15, 2017 at 11:47 PM, Avi Cohen (A) <avi.cohen@huawei.com> wrote:

> [...]

Hi Avi,

The 'base' portion of things is more in reference to the driver mode
more than anything else. For example we have SR-IOV support so we also
have a 'VF' driver.

At this time Intel doesn't have any 'enhanced' Linux drivers that have
IPSec support.

I hope that helps to clarify the current state of things.

- Alex

* [Intel-wired-lan] IPSec offload - ixgbe/i40e ..
@ 2017-10-16 14:58       ` Avi Cohen
From: Avi Cohen @ 2017-10-16 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: intel-wired-lan

[Avi Cohen (A)]
Thank You Alex
Just to clarify: for example,  the X540 NIC HW support IPSec offload, so theoretically - I can  change/add (according the device spec) the SW driver to support this. Is that correct ?
Best Regards
Avi

* [Intel-wired-lan] IPSec offload - ixgbe/i40e ..
@ 2017-10-16 15:26         ` Alexander Duyck
From: Alexander Duyck @ 2017-10-16 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: intel-wired-lan

On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 7:58 AM, Avi Cohen (A) <avi.cohen@huawei.com> wrote:

> [...]

Yes, support for IPSec could be added via patches. All I was saying is
that it is not currently present in the ixgbe or i40e Linux drivers
that Intel has available.

- Alex

* [Intel-wired-lan] IPSec offload - ixgbe/i40e ..
@ 2017-10-16 16:20           ` Fujinaka, Todd
From: Fujinaka, Todd @ 2017-10-16 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: intel-wired-lan

Avi,
I would suggest you file a ticket via IPS and your factory reps, rather than asking for help on this mailing list. This would bring a lot more support for your request.

Todd Fujinaka
Software Application Engineer
Datacenter Engineering Group
Intel Corporation