* [lustre-devel] lustre design docs
@ 2015-05-20 18:06 Vitaly Fertman
From: Vitaly Fertman @ 2015-05-20 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lustre-devel

Hi All,

there was an idea to publish existing design docs on opensfs wiki.
is centralised design repository interesting at all?

currently the existing designs are not in the wiki format, mostly pdf, so this is
not an ideal doc repository we want to have: not changeable, not maintainable,
could be outdated, etc, but could be published very quickly.

however, this is not the final step but just a beginning. at the same time, we may get
some benefits immediately:
- all the docs are gathered in one centralised place, faster doc search;
- the fully documented product (although maybe not very up-to-date initially) ?
attractive for many readers, especially newbies;
- a quick jump to unknown code having a design, faster than reading the source code;

after that, having these docs already published, next steps could be:
- docs to be split on those which are to be maintained and left untouched;
- a procedure of converting to be maintained docs to wiki format could be organised;
- a procedure of updating converted docs to be organised;
etc.

would be valuable? thoughts?

?
Vitaly\x10

* [lustre-devel] lustre design docs
@ 2015-05-26 15:08 ` Mohr
From: Mohr @ 2015-05-26 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lustre-devel

> On May 20, 2015, at 2:06 PM, Vitaly Fertman <vitaly.fertman@seagate.com> wrote:
>
> there was an idea to publish existing design docs on opensfs wiki.
> is centralised design repository interesting at all?

I think that is a good idea.  Consolidating the design docs in a single location (or at least links that point to them) would certainly make it easier to track them down.

--
Rick Mohr
Senior HPC System Administrator

* [lustre-devel] lustre design docs
@ 2015-06-12 21:04 ` Justin Miller
From: Justin Miller @ 2015-06-12 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lustre-devel

I think a central document repository is a good idea, and would be a valuable asset. The plan you outline to collect the documents and metadata first and then convert the most useful documents to a maintainable format makes a lot of sense. In addition to the benefits you identify, it may also allow for the collection of some interesting metrics.

I?d be happy to help with this project.

- Justin Miller

@ 2015-06-12 21:49   ` Dilger, Andreas
From: Dilger, Andreas @ 2015-06-12 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lustre-devel

On 2015/06/12, 3:04 PM, "Justin Miller" <jmiller@cray.com> wrote:

>I think a central document repository is a good idea, and would be a
>valuable asset. The plan you outline to collect the documents and
>metadata first and then convert the most useful documents to a
>maintainable format makes a lot of sense. In addition to the benefits you
>identify, it may also allow for the collection of some interesting
>metrics.
>
>I?d be happy to help with this project.
>
>- Justin Miller
>

>On 5/20/15, 1:06 PM, "lustre-devel on behalf of Vitaly Fertman"
><lustre-devel-bounces@lists.lustre.org on behalf of
>vitaly.fertman at seagate.com> wrote:
>
>>Hi All,
>>
>>there was an idea to publish existing design docs on opensfs wiki.
>>is centralised design repository interesting at all?
>>
>>currently the existing designs are not in the wiki format, mostly pdf,
>>so this is
>>not an ideal doc repository we want to have: not changeable, not
>>maintainable,
>>could be outdated, etc, but could be published very quickly.
>>
>>however, this is not the final step but just a beginning. at the same
>>time, we may get
>>some benefits immediately:
>>- all the docs are gathered in one centralised place, faster doc search;
>>- the fully documented product (although maybe not very up-to-date
>>initially) ?
>>attractive for many readers, especially newbies;
>>- a quick jump to unknown code having a design, faster than reading the
>>source code;
>>
>>after that, having these docs already published, next steps could be:
>>- docs to be split on those which are to be maintained and left
>>untouched;
>>- a procedure of converting to be maintained docs to wiki format could
>>be organised;
>>- a procedure of updating converted docs to be organised;
>>etc.
>>
>>would be valuable? thoughts?
>>
>>?
>>Vitaly?

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger

Lustre Software Architect
Intel High Performance Data Division

* [lustre-devel] lustre design docs
@ 2015-06-12 21:53   ` Dilger, Andreas
From: Dilger, Andreas @ 2015-06-12 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lustre-devel

I agree - there are a lot of documents spread across many places (old
wiki, new wiki, opensfs wiki, HPDD wiki, old CVS "lustre-doc" repo, etc).
Just getting those into a central location would be a good start.

Obviously many of those documents are outdated, but I think even those
would be valuable as long as it is clear at the top of the document what
state it is in (e.g. having the date of origin and a description of the
status like obsolete, stale, useful, up-to-date, etc).

I think Richard has been uploading some of our more recent design docs to
the new wiki, so that would be as good a place to start as any.

Cheers, Andreas

On 2015/06/12, 3:04 PM, "Justin Miller" <jmiller@cray.com> wrote:

>I think a central document repository is a good idea, and would be a
>valuable asset. The plan you outline to collect the documents and
>metadata first and then convert the most useful documents to a
>maintainable format makes a lot of sense. In addition to the benefits you
>identify, it may also allow for the collection of some interesting
>metrics.
>
>I?d be happy to help with this project.
>
>- Justin Miller
>

>On 5/20/15, 1:06 PM, "lustre-devel on behalf of Vitaly Fertman"
><lustre-devel-bounces@lists.lustre.org on behalf of
>vitaly.fertman at seagate.com> wrote:
>
>>Hi All,
>>
>>there was an idea to publish existing design docs on opensfs wiki.
>>is centralised design repository interesting at all?
>>
>>currently the existing designs are not in the wiki format, mostly pdf,
>>so this is
>>not an ideal doc repository we want to have: not changeable, not
>>maintainable,
>>could be outdated, etc, but could be published very quickly.
>>
>>however, this is not the final step but just a beginning. at the same
>>time, we may get
>>some benefits immediately:
>>- all the docs are gathered in one centralised place, faster doc search;
>>- the fully documented product (although maybe not very up-to-date
>>initially) ?
>>attractive for many readers, especially newbies;
>>- a quick jump to unknown code having a design, faster than reading the
>>source code;
>>
>>after that, having these docs already published, next steps could be:
>>- docs to be split on those which are to be maintained and left
>>untouched;
>>- a procedure of converting to be maintained docs to wiki format could
>>be organised;
>>- a procedure of updating converted docs to be organised;
>>etc.
>>
>>would be valuable? thoughts?
>>
>>?
>>Vitaly?

Cheers, Andreas
--

@ 2015-06-12 22:49     ` John Suykerbuyk
From: John Suykerbuyk @ 2015-06-12 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lustre-devel

Can you guys point me to where I should create my Lustre Quick Start Guide
(on KVM)?

It's my hope that someone will be able to take this and a machine capable
of hosting KVM virtual machines, and without anything but the publicly
accessible repositories, assemble and play around with a small (3 node)
Lustre virtual cluster.

- John "S"

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [lustre-devel] KVM Quick Start Guide
@ 2015-06-12 23:33       ` Christopher J. Morrone
From: Christopher J. Morrone @ 2015-06-12 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lustre-devel

Are you asking us to pick a title for you?  How about:

https://wiki.lustre.org/KVM_Quick_Start_Guide

Chris

@ 2015-06-12 23:35         ` Christopher J. Morrone
From: Christopher J. Morrone @ 2015-06-12 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lustre-devel

Whoops, I put an "s" in there.  I meant:

http://wiki.lustre.org/KVM_Quick_Start_Guide

@ 2015-06-19 16:19           ` John Suykerbuyk
From: John Suykerbuyk @ 2015-06-19 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lustre-devel

I've got my document ready to publish, but am still waiting on my account
request to be accepted.

Is there someone I can (politely) nudge?

- John "S"