* Is it possible to treat symlinks just as normal files in Git?
@ 2022-04-22 23:40 Mikhail Merkuryev
From: Mikhail Merkuryev @ 2022-04-22 23:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

My task. I have unit.h in both repo1 and repo2. I make a symlink from
repo1 to repo2 and want such a behaviour: in both repos I want to treat
unit.h like normal file, not symlink.

Why to do this though Git has submodules?
1. One of repos may be unrelated, private, corporate…
2. Auxiliary things like unit testing require additional bookkeeping,
e.g. moving unit testing framework (Google Test etc) to the submodule,
special directory setup…
3. The repo becomes harder to pick up if you do not have/want Git. With
submodules, if you do “download ZIP”, you get uncompileable source. Even
in Linux where Git is out-of-the-box, you do some command-line magic
before repo starts to work.
4. Submodules are just a “big gun” for library <30k in size.
5. Developing alone does not involve pulling, but with submodules it
becomes the case.

Men at Git for Windows thought it’s not just a Windows issue and sent me
here.

only message in thread, other threads:[~2022-04-22 23:58 UTC | newest]