From: Jesper Juhl <jesper.juhl@gmail.com>
To: kernel-janitors@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [KJ] de-initialization of = 0 globals
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 21:59:37 +0000	[thread overview]

On 12/13/05, Jesper Juhl <jesper.juhl@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Another way into the kernel for patches like this is via the Trivial
> > > Patch Monkey (aka Adrian Bunk) - trivial@rustcorp.com.au
> > >
> > > http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/rusty/trivial/
> > > http://lkml.org/lkml/2005/11/7/159
> >
> > I guess that would be the way to go then.  Send one huge patch off to
> > trivial at rustcorp.
> >
> You can try it and if you are lucky Adrian will take it and take care
> of forwarding it for you.
>
> > Should I cc LKLM and KJ?
> >
> Personally I'd probably cc LKML to give other people a chance to
> comment, and also, Andrew Morton is pretty good at picking up atches
> like this from LKML and merging them into -mm.
> Btw; if the patch is large (>50Kb or so) then you should probably not
> include it in the mail, but instead put it online somewhere and
> include an URL to the patch instead or split it into parts and send a
> series of patches.
>
> But in my oppinion, a much better approach (this is what I do myself
> and it usually works out well) would be to make patches for each
> subsystem (or each major dir in the kernel source) and then send the
> patches to LKML with cc to relevant maintainers.   Yes, it takes time
> to do it that way, but your success rate will probably be better and
> eople are likely to respond more ositively to that than just having
> one huge patch dumed on the mailing list.
>
> Before sending a patch series like this I usually do 2 or 3 patches
> for a few different areas, then send those to LKML with maintainers cc
> to get some feedback on wether or not such patches are wanted at all
> before I waste time doing it for the entire tree.
> In this case you could do one patch for everything inside kernel/ and
> another for everything inside something like drivers/usb (just icking
> two random locations with different people maintaining stuff in them).
> Then find out, for each file you change, who is the author of the file
> (looking at comments in the top of each file is usually a good place
> to start) and who is the maintainer (may be the author, may not be) -
> looking in MAINTAINERS and CREDITS is usually good spots to find out.
> Then mail the patches to LKML and cc the people you dug out.
> In the mails you send ask for feedback on wether or not such patches
> are wanted and offer to do the rest of the kernel source if they are.
> Also be sure to include the following info in each mail :
>  - What the patch does
>  - Why the patch does what it does
>  - What testing you've done (compile tested, booted a kernel with the
> patch, etc)
>  - A Signed-off-by line
>  - diffstat -p1 output for the patch
>
> To see an example of this in action look at my recent submission of
> some pointer dereference cleanups.
> Here's my initial "test the waters" mail/patch :
> http://lkml.org/lkml/2005/12/6/362
> And since people responded well to that I then followed up with a
> [...]

Forgot to mention a few nice documents I'd recommend you read :

Andrew Morton's "The perfect patch"
   http://www.zip.com.au/~akpm/linux/patches/stuff/tpp.txt
The "SubmittingPatches" document from Documentation/
   http://sosdg.org/~coywolf/lxr/source/Documentation/SubmittingPatches
   (do read the references linked to at the bottom of this document as well)

--
Jesper Juhl <jesper.juhl@gmail.com>
Don't top-post  http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/T/top-post.html