* service for tracking user activity (phosphor-audit)
@ 2019-08-26 12:31 Ivan Mikhaylov
From: Ivan Mikhaylov @ 2019-08-26 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openbmc

hi all, There it is updated design proposal about audit service which provides a
way to track user activity. Right now most parts are described there. If you
have any ideas or anything to add, feel free to share in this thread.

https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/docs/+/23870

thanks.

* Re: service for tracking user activity (phosphor-audit)
@ 2020-02-28 17:15 ` Ivan Mikhaylov
From: Ivan Mikhaylov @ 2020-02-28 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openbmc; +Cc: geissonator, vishwa, gmills, joseph-reynolds

On Mon, 2019-08-26 at 15:31 +0300, Ivan Mikhaylov wrote:
> hi all, There it is updated design proposal about audit service which provides
> way to track user activity. Right now most parts are described there. If you
> have any ideas or anything to add, feel free to share in this thread.
>
> https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/docs/+/23870
>

> thanks.

Thank you, everyone involved in the review process of this document! Just got
back from the leave, and wanted to ask who should create the rep or which rep
part it should belong to? I want to use the meson build system for this project,
any problems with this decision? Also, any other tips or suggestions are
welcome. I'll start working on it in next 1-2 weeks.

@ 2020-03-02 11:58   ` Vishwanatha Subbanna
From: Vishwanatha Subbanna @ 2020-03-02 11:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ivan Mikhaylov; +Cc: openbmc, geissonator, gmills, joseph-reynolds

My vote is to create a repo of its own. Also, I don’t see any issues with using Meson.

!! Vishwa !!

@ 2020-03-03 19:46   ` Andrew Geissler
From: Andrew Geissler @ 2020-03-03 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ivan Mikhaylov
  Cc: OpenBMC Maillist, gmills, joseph-reynolds, Brad Bishop,
	Deepak Kodihalli, Matt Spinler

> On Feb 28, 2020, at 11:15 AM, Ivan Mikhaylov <i.mikhaylov@yadro.com> wrote:
>
> On Mon, 2019-08-26 at 15:31 +0300, Ivan Mikhaylov wrote:
>> hi all, There it is updated design proposal about audit service which provides
>> way to track user activity. Right now most parts are described there. If you
>> have any ideas or anything to add, feel free to share in this thread.
>>
>> https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/docs/+/23870
>>

>> thanks.
>>

> Thank you, everyone involved in the review process of this document! Just got
> back from the leave, and wanted to ask who should create the rep or which rep
> part it should belong to? I want to use the meson build system for this project,
> any problems with this decision? Also, any other tips or suggestions are
> welcome. I'll start working on it in next 1-2 weeks.

phosphor-logging would be one candidate for a repo for this function. Otherwise
a new repo, phosphor-audit would work.

Brad would be the one to create a new repo.

Matt and Deepak could weigh in on whether this could be a part of
phosphor-logging. The community has swung the pendulum from a repo
for each individual function to trying to group things more logically into
single larger repos which can be configured to enable different functions
(which is why I would lean towards phosphor-logging).

@ 2020-03-17 20:08     ` Brad Bishop
From: Brad Bishop @ 2020-03-17 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Geissler
  Cc: Ivan Mikhaylov, Matt Spinler, OpenBMC Maillist, joseph-reynolds, gmills

at 2:46 PM, Andrew Geissler <geissonator@gmail.com> wrote:

> Matt and Deepak could weigh in on whether this could be a part of
> phosphor-logging.

This would be my preference.

thx - Brad

* Re: service for tracking user activity (phosphor-audit)
@ 2020-03-19 15:14       ` Ivan Mikhaylov
From: Ivan Mikhaylov @ 2020-03-19 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brad Bishop, Andrew Geissler
  Cc: Matt Spinler, OpenBMC Maillist, joseph-reynolds, gmills

On Tue, 2020-03-17 at 16:08 -0400, Brad Bishop wrote:
> at 2:46 PM, Andrew Geissler <geissonator@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Matt and Deepak could weigh in on whether this could be a part of
> > phosphor-logging.
>
> This would be my preference.
>
> thx - Brad

Who can grant me rights into this rep or to directory in it? Matt, Deepak? Also,
phosphor-logging/phosphor-audit would be the possible place for it then.

@ 2020-03-19 18:05         ` Matt Spinler
From: Matt Spinler @ 2020-03-19 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ivan Mikhaylov, Brad Bishop, Andrew Geissler
  Cc: gmills, OpenBMC Maillist, joseph-reynolds

On 3/19/2020 10:14 AM, Ivan Mikhaylov wrote:
> On Tue, 2020-03-17 at 16:08 -0400, Brad Bishop wrote:
>> at 2:46 PM, Andrew Geissler <geissonator@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Matt and Deepak could weigh in on whether this could be a part of
>>> phosphor-logging.
>> This would be my preference.
>>
>> thx - Brad
> Who can grant me rights into this rep or to directory in it? Matt, Deepak? Also,
> phosphor-logging/phosphor-audit would be the possible place for it then.

I think you mean to merge code?  You could either put up a commit to add
your
name to the MAINTAINERS file, or there is a gerrit plugin that we can
somehow use
to grant people merge access to only certain directories.

@ 2020-03-20 12:56           ` Brad Bishop
From: Brad Bishop @ 2020-03-20 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Spinler
  Cc: Ivan Mikhaylov, Andrew Geissler, gmills, OpenBMC Maillist,
	joseph-reynolds

at 2:05 PM, Matt Spinler <mspinler@linux.ibm.com> wrote:

> On 3/19/2020 10:14 AM, Ivan Mikhaylov wrote:

>>> This would be my preference.
>>>
>>> thx - Brad
>> Who can grant me rights into this rep or to directory in it? Matt,
>> Deepak? Also,
>> phosphor-logging/phosphor-audit would be the possible place for it then.
>
> I think you mean to merge code?  You could either put up a commit to add
> your
> name to the MAINTAINERS file, or there is a gerrit plugin that we can
> somehow use
> to grant people merge access to only certain directories.

Yes, the gerrit owners plugin is installed on our instance:

https://gerrit.googlesource.com/plugins/owners/+doc/master/README.md

The missing piece for wide-scale deployment is the submit rules.  I’ve not
had time to figure these out - if someone wanted to get the first example
working on a repository that would be much appreciated.

With that said Ivan, as an alternative to this^, I think if you:

-submit your application for review
-procure reviewers for your application (_real_ reviews, not rubber stamps)
-one of the existing maintainers merges it

and _then_ submit yourself for merge authority to all of phosphor-logging I
suspect the phosphor-logging maintainers would be fine with that.